The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

If you are Babchuck, you shut your mouth and report to Albany. You don't think about it. He is still a kid in this league, especially in that he plays defense, which typically takes longer to learn to play at an NHL level. He's barely a 6th d'man on most teams that are healthy. He should take his lumps and keep learning.

:evil:This is insanity... I don't blame the guy for creating a fuss. I don't think I would have the guts to not show up though... What are they thinking? They drop Babchuk down and keep Tanabe? That kid can't hold the blue line at all especially during our power plays! And Babchuk has much better playing sense than Tanabe. Plus he has a laser of a shot from the blue line. For a team that has been complaining about needing offensive help from the D, I think they blew it on this decision..... I just hope Babchuk comes back and doesn't get dropped and picked up by another team.

:evil:This is insanity... I don't blame the guy for creating a fuss. I don't think I would have the guts to not show up though... What are they thinking? They drop Babchuk down and keep Tanabe? That kid can't hold the blue line at all especially during our power plays! And Babchuk has much better playing sense than Tanabe. Plus he has a laser of a shot from the blue line. For a team that has been complaining about needing offensive help from the D, I think they blew it on this decision..... I just hope Babchuk comes back and doesn't get dropped and picked up by another team.

As it has been said about a billion times...Babchuk was the only Dman who could go without clearing waivers. Tanabe has a one-way contract that says he will make his $900,000 whether he is playing in the NHL or AHL, Babchuk doesn't have this. He might have only been there for a few weeks until JR could make a trade deal. Hopefully he will be part of that trade deal now, because this is ridiculous. He apparently thinks he's too good for the AHL? I hope he faces hell from the other players if he ends up "deciding" he will go.

Ok...nobody has asked any dumb questions, so, it may as well be me to do it. He is "suspended" by the 'canes. So, does that mean he cant play for Albany now at all? He CAN play if he shows up? He cant play for the 'canes unless suspension is lifted. What exactly is he suspended from? Its hockey 101 for me. :Oops: :mrgreen:

We've had a lot of interest in defencemen," said Rutherford. "We're not breaking up our core group of guys that we won with. Also including the trade with made for (Tim) Gleason. After that, we have to decide which one we would consider moving."

It would appear Babchuk is the most likely candidate to be moved, although Andrew Hutchinson and Dennis Seidenberg were healthy scratches Tuesday night.

From NHL.com

Sucks for Seidenberg if NC is just a stopover.

Ok...nobody has asked any dumb questions, so, it may as well be me to do it. He is "suspended" by the 'canes. So, does that mean he cant play for Albany now at all? He CAN play if he shows up? He cant play for the 'canes unless suspension is lifted. What exactly is he suspended from? Its hockey 101 for me. :Oops: :mrgreen:

Maybe someone can expand on it with a lot more technicality than me, but I'd say it just basically suspends him from the almighty dollar.

As in, he's not playing for the Canes organization, so he's not getting paid. But he's also not free to go to any other team until the Canes actually release him from his contract or trade his rights to someone else. The Canes still do own him as a player, though.

Really not sure, i think a conversation will need to be had with JR before he does anything. JR HAD to suspend him when he asked to "think about it" on being sent to Albany. It is a procedural thing because we couldn't activate Frankie without moving someone. Where it goes from here is up to JR and Babs.

We've had a lot of interest in defencemen," said Rutherford. "We're not breaking up our core group of guys that we won with. Also including the trade with made for (Tim) Gleason. After that, we have to decide which one we would consider moving."

It would appear Babchuk is the most likely candidate to be moved, although Andrew Hutchinson and Dennis Seidenberg were healthy scratches Tuesday night.

From NHL.com

Sucks for Seidenberg if NC is just a stopover.

Sucks for the Canes, too. I see Seidenberg as one of the young D that could be part of the core of this team for years to come. He seems to fit into the system very well already, too.

I'd really hate to see him go. Especially when we're going to need some D around after Wesley and Hedican are gone.

It's been made clear that Babs was the only choice for sending down because of his two-way contract and the waivers issue. BUT, even if Tanabe could be sent down -- and I was as critical of him as any early in the season -- I think his play of late has been adequate. Babs may have a rocket shot, but for all his PP time, he has no PP goals. Tanabe at least has one and all of his stats (when you factor in less games played) are pretty much the same as Babs...but the graph on Tanabe's stats points upward after the god-awful start he had to the season.

Before the shooting begins, let me duck ... :lol:

It's been made clear that Babs was the only choice for sending down because of his two-way contract and the waivers issue. BUT, even if Tanabe could be sent down -- and I was as critical of him as any early in the season -- I think his play of late has been adequate. Babs may have a rocket shot, but for all his PP time, he has no PP goals. Tanabe at least has one and all of his stats (when you factor in less games played) are pretty much the same as Babs...but the graph on Tanabe's stats points upward after the god-awful start he had to the season.

Before the shooting begins, let me duck ... :lol:

Don't think I need to mention that I completely agree

Unfortunate for Babs he was the only one with a two way contract. I am sure that JR tried to push Tanabe and Hutch on another team but was probably gonna have to give up someone substantial like Ladd or Willy and that would have been insanity. the closer we get to the deadline the more likely we will unload some d-men. it will be interesting to see who goes, i am putting off paying my playoff invoice until i see what is left.

Before the shooting begins, let me duck ...

That just means we should move Babs off the powerplay. Babs has 2 goals and 12 assists this season. Tanabe has 1 goal, 7 assists. Babs also has 95 blocked shots.

And the game difference isn't that great. It's Bab's 51 games to Tanabe's 34.

Before the shooting begins, let me duck ...

That just means we should move Babs off the powerplay. Babs has 2 goals and 12 assists this season. Tanabe has 1 goal, 7 assists. Babs also has 95 blocked shots.

And the game difference isn't that great. It's Bab's 51 games to Tanabe's 34.

I would still take Babs over David Turnover Tannabe IMHO

Babchuk's antics may have just firmed things up for Seidenberg stay with the Hurricanes.

i am afraid so, i like the kid but if this goes on more than a day or two then it is time to cut the loses and press on.

I'm just hoping that just a case of Anton being stubborn, & not that something's wrong or he didn't even make it to Albany.

You hit the nail right on the haed. He would often be stubborn when asked something in Norfolk. Not always the wisest choice for his career. As of yesterday evening, he was still here in the Triangle. A friend of mine saw him driving when she was leaving her vet's office.

That doesn't surprise me one bit! My buddy used to go to Admirals games when Anton used to play here and he said he was a real tool. On and Off the ice. Made no effort to grow accustomed to things here, didn't really care about learning English and nobody in the locker room really cared for him either, and didn't really bother with fans at all. .Him not showing up because he doesn't like it doesn't surprise me.I'll shed no tears if he leaves.

There were problems in Chicago as well. TSN even listed one of his flaws as needing to learn to behave on and off the ice.