The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

Listening to the River Rats/Admirals game...No Babchuk.

Score: 2-1 Admirals

True fans believe in and support Anton.

true fans love whats best for the canes not a single player......

puckbunnies love single players more then the team

Well if this does go down the way we're all hoping, JR is not someone I'd ever like to play poker with :shock:.

Well if this does go down the way we're all hoping, JR is not someone I'd ever like to play poker with :shock:.

dude she's obviously a babchuk fan and its not fun when yur fav. player is going through something like this. We are here to support babs as a player and a person. that does not mean we are puckbunnies

One other question about all this. Being suspended you don't get paid right. So wouldn't Bab's rather make $90,000 then zilch.

I'm just having a hard time grasping this new revelation.

There is no conspiracy

He is just another self absorbed athlete thinking only of himself and not the big picture , including getting bad advice from an equally self absorbed agent.

If I were JR I wouldnt trade him and leave him on suspension until he reports to the Rats... Let him stew the rest of the year there and trade him next year.

I say good riddance -- I dont think he will ever develop to more than a third pairing defenseman anyway

Listening to the River Rats/Admirals game...No Babchuk.

Score: 2-1 Admirals

True fans believe in and support Anton.

true fans love whats best for the canes not a single player......

puckbunnies love single players more then the team

okay, let me just step in here and say that believing in and supporting babs doesn't mean "eff the canes, i'm here for him"

some of us may drool over the players all night long, but does that mean it's the only reason we watch? nope! i love hockey, it's made my pathetic life a hell of a lot more tolerable. so let us drool a little bit...we promise to clean up our own mess so you don't have to! :D

i like to think of the good-looking players like...a christmas bonus check. it's not necessary, you didn't ask for it, but you're sure not gonna turn it down!

One other question about all this. Being suspended you don't get paid right. So wouldn't Bab's rather make $90,000 then zilch.

if the conspiracy theory is correct then we are only talking two or three days so the pay is irrelevant.

if the conspiracy theory is correct then we are only talking two or three days so the pay is irrelevant.

10 Days Minimum if it is ( and was in this case) to pare down the Roster to the league Max. As I understand it you could not bring him back up even if you cleared room due to a trade before then 10 days.

10 Days Minimum if it is ( and was in this case) to pare down the Roster to the league Max. As I understand it you could not bring him back up even if you cleared room due to a trade before then 10 days.

So even if JR had plans to keep Babs and bring him back up after a trade cleared room, he would have to wait a minimum of 10 days to re-activate him?

So even if JR had plans to keep Babs and bring him back up after a trade cleared room, he would have to wait a minimum of 10 days to re-activate him?

My .02. The team already traded away a d prospect (probably a good trade because I don't think JJ would have ever come to Carolina). Babchuk will probably only get better as he gains experience. I think Babchuk will be back as soon as we complete the trade that we all pretty much know is coming. IF they are planning to trade Tanabe or Hutch, they would be crazy to send them down to Albany and then try to convince another team that they are good enough for THEIR team. I think the trade will happen very soon (this week) for a couple of reasons. 1) Whomever we get will need time to get adjusted to our methods. 2) A little extra push probably wouldn't hurt to try to get us into the playoffs.

My guess? Forsberg. He is a big name that will help sell tickets prior to the playoffs, he is relatively inexpensive (I think less than $2MM for the rest of the year), and Philly knows that he wants to go back after the season, so they won't demand too much in trade.

Something for y'all to think about. I read an article on NHL.com. Of course it is gone now :evil: It basically said that Babchuk said he needed a few days to think about it. JR said he would let him think about it for a few days. While he was thinking about it, he would be suspended. Here is the link to the article

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=28864...ge&service=page

My .02. The team already traded away a d prospect (probably a good trade because I don't think JJ would have ever come to Carolina). Babchuk will probably only get better as he gains experience. I think Babchuk will be back as soon as we complete the trade that we all pretty much know is coming. IF they are planning to trade Tanabe or Hutch, they would be crazy to send them down to Albany and then try to convince another team that they are good enough for THEIR team. I think the trade will happen very soon (this week) for a couple of reasons. 1) Whomever we get will need time to get adjusted to our methods. 2) A little extra push probably wouldn't hurt to try to get us into the playoffs.

My guess? Forsberg. He is a big name that will help sell tickets prior to the playoffs, he is relatively inexpensive (I think less than $2MM for the rest of the year), and Philly knows that he wants to go back after the season, so they won't demand too much in trade.

I think I read on www.thefourthperiod.com that Forsberg would cost a team $1.2 million in salary cap. I know he is good and all, but isn't he still on IR???

Forsberg is made out of porcelain, but after missing a few games with a groin in early January, he's been hot with 11 points in his last nine games. I'm not sure if he's the best fit for our needs at the moment, but if you can get an NHL elite player with great creds (Ross trophy, Hart trophy, Calder trophy, Cup winner) to join your ranks and contribute, go for it!

So even if JR had plans to keep Babs and bring him back up after a trade cleared room' date=' he would have to wait a minimum of 10 days to re-activate him?[/quote']

That is my understanding of the league rules in conjuncion with the CBA....It seems really stupid to me and like JR should be able to send and bring up any two way players as he sees fit but since when have the NHL rules for anything made a lot of common sense.

There are a whole lot of scenarios re: Injuries, placing another player on waivers that might prempt that but all other things be equal once a TWO WAY player is re-assigned to the minors to clear room on the roster after a reactivation of another player from non rostered status (Kaberle coming back from IR) he must remain there for 10 days. I am not a GM nor do I play one on TV but this is what I believe to be Babs situation. He would have to go make a paltry 97K +/- in Albany for at least 10 days. Ladd would be the same but any other player would have to be placed on Waivers, Clear Waivers before they could be assigned to the Rats

EDIT to remove the long text I copied in... Sorry

I think I read on www.thefourthperiod.com that Forsberg would cost a team $1.2 million in salary cap. I know he is good and all, but isn't he still on IR???

The fourthperiod is amazing

Ok, its now time for my 2 cents.

Bab's and Hutch are the only 2 Blueliners we can send down without waivers.

I've called JR everything you can imagine over the years, tightwad, genius, idiot, big spender, but what he is NOT is a GM that will allow players to run the show.

If Babs is doing this, I can only imagine somehow word has gotten to him that JR will allow it prior to the trade (take notes Lou Armarillo) so Babs isnt gone for 10 days, OR Babs needs to put a for sale sign up on his North Carolina home, because you can bet that JR certainly will get rid of him now if he has not allowed this for some reason.

We may never know, but players that think they are too big for their skates (insert Jack [i aint playing for the Canes] Johnson's name here), and yes you guys can all post the quotes of good ole Jack's dad saying he'd have loved to be a Cane, but I heard it from a Suit that Jack had let it be known he wanted to go to a "hockey city" was the term I was told.

my two cents.

and for what its worth, I hope Jack enjoys the Laker games.

y'all need to read the article that I posted from NHL.com... Babchuk said he needed a few days to think about this transfer ( feel free to read in between the lines). Jim Rutherford said he will let him think about it for a few days but is suspended while he is thinking about it. What if this is JR's way of getting around the 10 days minimum for getting sent down? Who knows?!?!?!?! I just want to see the dust settle from this mess :(

Also, I have been reading too many articles lately but I think Babchuk was the only defenseman that could be sent down without having to clear wavers.

I was pretty surprised about www.thefourthperiod.com. They mentioned the Kevyn Adams trade about two months before it actually happened. They are definately against Southern Hockey but they get some things right on their page every once in a while.