The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

Something for y'all to think about. I read an article on NHL.com. Of course it is gone now :evil: It basically said that Babchuk said he needed a few days to think about it. JR said he would let him think about it for a few days. While he was thinking about it, he would be suspended. Here is the link to the article

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=28864...ge&service=page

I just read an article on the N&O's web site... the direct quote from JR is "In his words he wants to think about it and in our words the Albany River Bats have a game tonight aganst Norfolk and we think he should be playing..."

He also went on to say that he would rather have Anton playing for Albany than sitting at home "thinking..."

I don't think JR is being as much of a pushover as the NHL.com article is making it sound.

I hope to God this isn't just some stunt to let Anton have a little break where he doesn't have to play for the AHL. Like you all said "He has a slapshot that will scare the crap out of you when it hits the boards" Wouldn't you much rather it go in the goal instead. Anton has the potential, he just needs some work he is still young and he is not that super awesome that he is too good to play in the AHL. The next few days should be interesting to see what unfolds though. :?

Its not a stunt to give him a break to keep him from the AHL. It COULD be a stunt to keep him from being in the AHL for 2 weeks, and that JR is nearing a trade to open a roster spot for Anton.

I however get the feeling that anton mucked himself up.

I hope to God this isn't just some stunt to let Anton have a little break where he doesn't have to play for the AHL. Like you all said "He has a slapshot that will scare the crap out of you when it hits the boards" Wouldn't you much rather it go in the goal instead. Anton has the potential, he just needs some work he is still young and he is not that super awesome that he is too good to play in the AHL. The next few days should be interesting to see what unfolds though. :?

Another thing, in his games with the Canes he has only scored one with the slapper.

I don't think it is a stunt. It seems to be more of a maturity issue. I can understand not wanting to take the pay cut to play in the AHL... but he is a pro... and he is expected to act like a pro. The pay cut would be pro-rated on a per-game basis anyway.

I can understand why he feels like he is good enough to play on the big team.... because honestly he contributes more than Tanabe or Hutch... Both of those guys have to clear waivers before they can be sent down. Anton ranks 2nd on the team in "points by defensemen." So I understand why he may feel a bit upset by this decision....

But the bottom line is that he has to be a pro... and that means taking the bad things as well as you take the good things. He is acting like a poor sport.

Another thing, in his games with the Canes he has only scored one with the slapper.
Don't forget the Oct 25th game with the Trash where Babchuk walked in, deked and beat Lehtonen in OT.

There isn't enough information to really know what is going on, but I'm going to speculate a little.

Let's not forget that Babchuk's agent spoke up in a way that indicated he wants to be traded. With that in mind, I think the most convenient explanation is that JR and Babchuk have had an understanding, perhaps for more than a couple of weeks, that Babchuk would be sent to Albany once Kabs and Hedican are healthy. Perhaps Babs was unhappy with JR's decision and the 10-day conspiracy falls in, or maybe not.

Bottom line, with the context of all the events and particularly his agent's talk, I don't imagine Babchuk will be wearing the Canes uniform anymore.

i just dont get it b/c like a month or 2 ago an article came out and he said how much he likes it here. i really hope he has felt comfortable here and gets a chance to stay

o and plus i think his agent has completely screwed him over if this has been his advice!!!!

Don't forget the Oct 25th game with the Trash where Babchuk walked in, deked and beat Lehtonen in OT.

There isn't enough information to really know what is going on, but I'm going to speculate a little.

Let's not forget that Babchuk's agent spoke up in a way that indicated he wants to be traded. With that in mind, I think the most convenient explanation is that JR and Babchuk have had an understanding, perhaps for more than a couple of weeks, that Babchuk would be sent to Albany once Kabs and Hedican are healthy. Perhaps Babs was unhappy with JR's decision and the 10-day conspiracy falls in, or maybe not.

Bottom line, with the context of all the events and particularly his agent's talk, I don't imagine Babchuk will be wearing the Canes uniform anymore.

Oh man I totally forgot thats was a sweet game too.

I seriously doubt that Ladd would have handled the situation the same way if he had been the one sent to Albany and he's just as young as Babchuk.

I have some advice for Babs. In the real world you do what your boss tells you to do unless you don't want to work there anymore. Sometimes you can negotiate if you have a good point, but bottom line the boss is in charge, not you. I'm not always thrilled about things I have to do at my job either, but since I like to have the money to buy food and other necessities, I do what I'm told.

In my current line of work, they shoot you if you don't show up.

Just kiddin, but the punishment IS a hell of a lot more severe.

Actually, in certain cases they can shoot you. Desertion in combat can earn you a bullet -- figuratively speaking. But in the history of the armed forces, it's only happened once.

But somehow I think I'd prefer that to life at Leavenworth. That's in Kansas!

I think someone from the Cane's needs to talk with Babchuk and explain this move and hopefully it's just temporary. We need someone with a cool head to get him back in the organization.

I'm not sure I understand how putting him in suspension works. Can someone explain this and how it effects a trade? Thanks.

Well it keeps them from having to actually send him to the minors, and it opens a spot for Kaberle to comeback. With kaberle we had 24 people, so Anton was sent down, but he didn't report so he was suspended.

it frees up a space till we can trade, so Jr is close to a trade maybe if you want to take the conspiracy route. :lol:

Lumpy's going to make a trade, that's pretty much a foregone conclusion. How soon is anybody's guess, but if the conspiracy theorists are correct, I'd guess this is a signal that such a deal is almost done.

I can honestly see how the conspiracy theory works. Whatever else you might say about JR, nobody's ever questioned that he's in charge. And nobody can ever say he didn't put the team ahead of any one player (remember Keith Primeau? Geoff Sanderson? Sean Burke?). The Lumpy we know and love would have dropped Babs like a bad habit if this was just a stunt by a player who thought he was too good for the minors. He certainly wouldn't have come out in the press with remarks that suggest tolerance toward this kind of behaviour.

I'm thinking that the league might take issue with using this loophole the way some of us are suggesting, so we may never really know for sure what happened even after the dust settles. But my guess is that if all this ends up with Babchuk still on the Canes' roster, then the conspiracy theorists were right. Maybe that's 10 days from now, maybe it's longer -- sometimes these deals take longer than expected. I'd say the acid test of the theory is whether or not there's still a big Ukranian wearing #48 on Feb 27.

I think someone from the Cane's needs to talk with Babchuk and explain this move and hopefully it's just temporary. We need someone with a cool head to get him back in the organization.

If this is a move to get around the 10-day rule, then you can believe someone in the organization has already explained it to Babs. If it's a petulant display by a player, then the only talking management is gonna do is a-la Donald Trump: "You're fired".

Either way, you can bet Babchuk's future as a Carolina Hurricane has already been decided. It just hasn't been made public yet.

I'm disappointed to hear that Babchuk reacted this way. He's young, so he needs to suck it up and pay his dues.

Although, I can understand his disappointment at being demoted, especially with Tanabe still playing the blue line (heck, even on PP now, what is PL thinking???).

IMO, Wanabe or Hutch would have been shipped soon, and Babs would have been back up in the Bigs. I hope they don't keep Wanabe because of Babs losing his head.

I find it funny that without any reports of "why" he didn't report to Albany, everyone assumes he did it on purpose. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I am not the GM. Unless I missed an update on the story, I think everything will work out fine.

You guys need to read the entire thread, there is more going on then we presently know. as MOJO stated, if the conspiracy theory is correct this will be cleared up in 72hours (my prediction). if Babs truly had a temper tantrum then it will still be cleared up in 72hours. i can see why JR might not want him stuck in Albany for 10 days if he is that close to a deal. my thinking is it is a multi-dmen deal and he doesn't want Babs stuck for 10 days. the last thing we would want to do is trade a couple (or more) away and immediately be short on defense no matter who the forward is we would get.

I find it funny that without any reports of "why" he didn't report to Albany, everyone assumes he did it on purpose. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I am not the GM. Unless I missed an update on the story, I think everything will work out fine.

This is the same Anton Babchuk whose teammates were happy once he left the Norfolk Admirals because nobody liked him. Whined perpetually when he did not get the puck and blamed others for his faults.....So for him not to show up because he did it on purpose..Seems like an Antonism to me.

This is the same Anton Babchuk whose teammates were happy once he left the Norfolk Admirals because nobody liked him. Whined perpetually when he did not get the puck and blamed others for his faults.....So for him not to show up because he did it on purpose..Seems like an Antonism to me.

Fair enough.

I honestly didn't know that much about him and was giving him credit because he was a Hurricane at least. Guess I was mistaken.

I can't speak to what transpired prior, but I will say that I have never once witnessed #48 to act inappropriately towards teammates, coaches, fans or anybody else. At practices he seems to be genuinely working, eager to listen to other's advice/suggestions, etc. BUT he's a young guy. I'm a mom to two boys and sometimes I wonder if they'll EVER be able to make reasonable life decisions if they can't figure out the difference between clean socks and dirty ones! (No offense intended to anyone here, of course!) I can see how an impetuous decision might later (or even instantaneously) be regretted.

That said, the way I figure it, JR's a pretty shrewd and crafty guy, so I am subscribing to the conspiracy theory. It makes sense...JR's having trouble closing some deals, so why not stir the pot a little. If this indeed turns out to be the case, would there be any (negative) repercussions for JR? And what about Babs...if this is truly not his doing, will he carry a stigma unnecessarily?

This is from todays N&O. Sorry if somebody already posted it.

Jay Grossman, Babchuk's agent, said Babchuk would prefer to be traded rather than return to the AHL, where he spent parts of the past three seasons. Babchuk played in 51 of Carolina's first 55 games, recording 14 points, second only to Mike Commodore among Carolina defensemen.

"After playing well and for a good part of the season, especially at the beginning, in the top four, playing more than 20 minutes a night, he doesn't feel he's a minor league player," Grossman said. "I know there's interest out there and teams that view it the same way. At the same time, we understand the predicament Jim faces. We've been communicating regarding that and we'll see what happens. ...

"I think he essentially wants to play at the NHL level. If that's in Carolina, he's fine with that, or if it's with another club. He's a young guy with a lot of upside. It's just a matter of getting an opportunity."

heres the link too : http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/540732.html

Ok, let me see if I understand the conspiracy theory. That the Canes didn't want to send him down because a trade was brewing so they concocted a story about refusing to report and getting suspended? Is that how it goes?

If so that makes no sense. When you are at your 23 man roster you can still place someone on IR and it doesn't count against the max. The minimum stay on IR is 7 days so why not do that if you want to go for conspiracies? I'm sure with all the secrecy around injuries a legit minor one could be found.

Orchestrating a move whereby a player gets suspended would get his agent and the NHLPA up in arms because it is a black mark on his character. His agent said Babchuk doesn't think he is an AHL caliber player. Whether he thinks that, the agent does or both that's the reality here.

After reading all this.......my thoughts and humble opinion

1....We don't really know jack crap about what is happening in this situation or the trade situation. Anything right now is sheer speculation.

2....We have three players on the excess bubble of Dmen. Two that ain't producing, Tanabe and Hutch, that would require clearing waivers. We have one that has been sent down with a 90% pay cut that is "suspended".

3....JR is in a box with all the deals he's made to shore up the D.....and can't back away right now without moving some serious contract money to keep Gleason and Seidenberg.

4....Whatever the deal is that JR wants now.....he has little to trade with that is all that attractive that wouldn't involve at least one forward, maybe two.

5....All this has created distraction in the locker room and played off a bad attitude for the past month since the deal for Siedenberg. We should have been winning games this past few weeks that just ain't happening. The guys ain't "into" the game as we've come to expect from last season. We know something is wrong with the guys....just what, is the ??? Could this be what's got the guys off course? More than a Dman trade???....Whatever the outcome.....let's wait and see....fans are never consulted and always the last to know.

6....Whatever the change is made in our D, Wesley and Hedican careers are about over. We better be planning something good for the future. Losing Babchuk isn't in the longer term best interests. There aren't that many promising young Dmen around the league that are available without some heavy costs.