The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

Jay Grossman, Babchuk's agent, said Babchuk would prefer to be traded rather than return to the AHL

This right here derails that conspiracy theory. If there was a conspiracy, not need for this statement. His agent could have just kept it at, he wants to think about it, rather than go this length. Babchuck feels he is better than the AHL, which IMHO, he isn't at this time. He needs to get off his high horse of i'm better than you attitude and report to Albany and work on his game.

I wonder how distracting this all is for the team right now? We do not need any distractions right now....Just need solid hockey!!!

Guess its a good thing the team is on a long road trip, huh.

This is from todays N&O. Sorry if somebody already posted it.

Jay Grossman, Babchuk's agent, said Babchuk would prefer to be traded rather than return to the AHL, where he spent parts of the past three seasons. Babchuk played in 51 of Carolina's first 55 games, recording 14 points, second only to Mike Commodore among Carolina defensemen.

"After playing well and for a good part of the season, especially at the beginning, in the top four, playing more than 20 minutes a night, he doesn't feel he's a minor league player," Grossman said. "I know there's interest out there and teams that view it the same way. At the same time, we understand the predicament Jim faces. We've been communicating regarding that and we'll see what happens. ...

"I think he essentially wants to play at the NHL level. If that's in Carolina, he's fine with that, or if it's with another club. He's a young guy with a lot of upside. It's just a matter of getting an opportunity."

heres the link too : http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/540732.html

The way his agent puts it it sounds so absolutely ridiculous "Let me come back, or else trade me to another team" is what he is basically saying. :roll:

This is the same Anton Babchuk whose teammates were happy once he left the Norfolk Admirals because nobody liked him. Whined perpetually when he did not get the puck and blamed others for his faults.....So for him not to show up because he did it on purpose..Seems like an Antonism to me.

I can't speak to what transpired prior, but I will say that I have never once witnessed #48 to act inappropriately towards teammates, coaches, fans or anybody else. At practices he seems to be genuinely working, eager to listen to other's advice/suggestions, etc. BUT he's a young guy. I'm a mom to two boys and sometimes I wonder if they'll EVER be able to make reasonable life decisions if they can't figure out the difference between clean socks and dirty ones! (No offense intended to anyone here, of course!) I can see how an impetuous decision might later (or even instantaneously) be regretted.

That said, the way I figure it, JR's a pretty shrewd and crafty guy, so I am subscribing to the conspiracy theory. It makes sense...JR's having trouble closing some deals, so why not stir the pot a little. If this indeed turns out to be the case, would there be any (negative) repercussions for JR? And what about Babs...if this is truly not his doing, will he carry a stigma unnecessarily?

I think that's comparing apples and oranges. Anton knows the difference between his clean and dirty socks. He's young, but not that young. He arrived at the NHL, the most professional of all hockey leagues and he's certainly not acting like a professional. If wanted a foothold in the NHL he just threw it away in the face of JR (at least for the Hurricanes organization). If you've never seen him act inappropriately, you saw it when he didn't show up to Albany when his boss told him. Other GM's look at this type of behavior if they are interesting an acquiring them whether he's qualified for the NHL or not. They rest assured will be taking a risk since it shows he does as he wants when things don't go his way.

i think everyone is getting their panties in a wad, this will play itself out in 72hours!! i can see Babs not reporting and JR doing this if a deal is less than 72hours away. ESPECIALLY if it involves several D-men. You don't want Babs stuck in Albany for 10 days (CBA).

If on the otherhand Babs is being a big baby then it will still play itself out in 72hours!! So if you can take a chill pill, drink a beer, glass of wine, Green Koolaid, or what ever you do to mellow then this will be wrapped up by Saturday.

If that really is the case then I support Anton completely. If they tried to send him to minors when we is definitely one of our BETTER d men, then I understand his frustration. He can see that some other players should be ahead of him in line to head to the AHL and thinks he can do more if he has more chances as a starter.

Sorry but knowing our team, it does kind of sound like the team is trying to screw him over by tossing him back to the minors. He's no star but he is easily good enough to be a bottom line D-man at least.

If that really is the case then I support Anton completely. If they tried to send him to minors when we is definitely one of our BETTER d men, then I understand his frustration. He can see that some other players should be ahead of him in line to head to the AHL and thinks he can do more if he has more chances as a starter.

Except for his two-way contract makes it so that he's the prime one to go to the AHL. It may not having anything to do with his skill. I perosnally agree with the statement that he's one of our better D-men. However, because we don't want to risk the waivers, Anton should have just reported to the AHL and waited to see if JR realized the effort Babchuck puts into his game.

If that's the case, then I think we all know what JR's going to say to that.

Which really sux for us cause now JR will be lucky to get a draft pick for him. No team is going to give us someone good for him.

Take that guy in Boston. He got suspended cause he failed to show up to their minor team and like a week later he was traded for nothing. I'm sure someone can remember the guys name and what Boston got for him. Don't think it was much though.

After reading all this.......my thoughts and humble opinion

1....We don't really know jack crap about what is happening in this situation or the trade situation. Anything right now is sheer speculation.

2....We have three players on the excess bubble of Dmen. Two that ain't producing, Tanabe and Hutch, that would require clearing waivers. We have one that has been sent down with a 90% pay cut that is "suspended".

3....JR is in a box with all the deals he's made to shore up the D.....and can't back away right now without moving some serious contract money to keep Gleason and Seidenberg.

4....Whatever the deal is that JR wants now.....he has little to trade with that is all that attractive that wouldn't involve at least one forward, maybe two.

5....All this has created distraction in the locker room and played off a bad attitude for the past month since the deal for Siedenberg. We should have been winning games this past few weeks that just ain't happening. The guys ain't "into" the game as we've come to expect from last season. We know something is wrong with the guys....just what, is the ??? Could this be what's got the guys off course? More than a Dman trade???....Whatever the outcome.....let's wait and see....fans are never consulted and always the last to know.

6....Whatever the change is made in our D, Wesley and Hedican careers are about over. We better be planning something good for the future. Losing Babchuk isn't in the longer term best interests. There aren't that many promising young Dmen around the league that are available without some heavy costs.

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

It's been made clear that Babs was the only choice for sending down because of his two-way contract and the waivers issue. BUT, even if Tanabe could be sent down -- and I was as critical of him as any early in the season -- I think his play of late has been adequate. Babs may have a rocket shot, but for all his PP time, he has no PP goals. Tanabe at least has one and all of his stats (when you factor in less games played) are pretty much the same as Babs...but the graph on Tanabe's stats points upward after the god-awful start he had to the season.

Babchuck doesn't play on the power play a lot, Tanabe does. Babs play Pk and even strngth.

i think i'm gonna fail out of college

>_<

all this talk is distracting me from my homework

"censorship goes against the US Constitution...babchuck babchuk WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN TO BABS?!"

i think i'm gonna fail out of college

>_<

all this talk is distracting me from my homework

"censorship goes against the US Constitution...babchuck babchuk WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN TO BABS?!"

LMAO! I know how you feel! I haven't been able to do my homework this week between watching the game and talking about Babs and everything else! Thank God tomorrow is Friday and I'll be able to have the weekend to catch up on everything! LOL!

Any new news on Babs??? Everything is so very vague! I hate when things like this happen because you never know exactly what is going on until the very last second. Us fans are always the last to know. :(

i hope babs is looking for another agent instead of another team :(

I agree. The quotes from the agent in the paper this morning sounded to me like Anton is getting very bad advice. He needs to remember what happened to Irbe. We all remember that Irbe got an attitude about his playing time and became uncooperative w/ the coaching staff and GM... he then found himself playing in the ECHL for a VERY LONG time before they finally traded him.

The 'Canes don't HAVE to trade Babchuck.... they also can keep him on suspention as long as he doesn't want to cooperate.... so he needs to fire his agent... and get back to work.

-Loco.

I for one donot feel Anton would have been away for long if he had gone to AHL the other day.

One must take into account Anton's age and his lack of maturity. however, he should have been counceled by his agent. his agent should be fined and share equal blame for Anton's rebellion. JR is a fair minded person, I believe, and will take everything into account............ I like Anton, and I told him at the fundraiser a few weeks ago that I hoped to see him get a little more ice-time and how I enjoyed seeing him grow with the team and develope.

Good luck Anton! Please do what is expected of you, put aside your pride, and great things will come of it...

I'm sure we'll hear more tonight, but when Forslund was on with the 850 guys, he seemed pretty disgusted. Although, he did put the majority of the blame on his agent. Said that Grossman is a difficult person to work with and he's done this with other clients.

Looks to me Anton needs to find himself a new agent, but unfortunetly his bridge is already burned here. Forslund made some other comment about how "this is the point of no return, just from the locker room aspect alone." :shock:

It's really sad because I think Anton could play here.... he's been really good for us!

But it is the point of no return.... It's just like the Irbe thing... as soon as Irbe said "play me or trade me...." it was all over from the locker room aspect.

Our coach and GM don't believe in individuals... they believe in the team.

-Loco.

Does it really matter if Babchuk was getting advice from his agent??? The final say about following orders and going to the minors was with Babchuk. I don't care that he is only 22. He is old enough to know right from wrong.

What he did was wrong and stupid. Not only has he hacked off JR, he has also seriously damaged his career. He had better come back SOON and publicly apologize. If not, we hold him to his contract and let him sit on his rear end until the end of the contract.

These overpaid whiners need to get a life and recognize that they are entertainers. Watching hockey is not a "need". It is a want that can be foregone.

yes, Anton is old enough to know right from wrong but his immaturity is why he reacted the way he did. He was too quick to react and patience is a sign of maturity... which was lacking in this case.

I'm surprised Tanabe wasnt brought up in the Superbowl topic....he gets brought up everywhere else......Topic about Babchuk....tanabes fault. Staal isnt producing earlier this year thats right that was Tanabes fault..

I'm loving it because at this point its hilarious considering hes a top 4 d-man in the last 20 games has had about 8 points which is good for a d-man and actually is leading the team in +/- which last time I checked means goals arent being scored when hes on the ice. Whats really funny is that when Glen Wesley was a +8 on a team of negatives back in 03 he was our best defensemen to the fans. Same team of negatives this year and Tanabe is the scapegoat for everything right down to why you broke up with your girlfriend or boyfriend. I loved that one guy in a previous topic actually said yea hes doing great but I'm still going to blame him cause its easy, thank you for defining ignorance for me.