The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Motorcat

Babchuk suspended

They were talking about it on XM today and they seemed to think that Babs is done in NC and has clearly made a bad name himself with 29 other teams. They reiterated that JR has been around the block and is probably one the most respected and business savvy GM's in the business. He's not going to play games and always shoots straight with people. Whether it be Anton or his agent, he has more than likely shot himself in the foot at the NHL level.

Tragic, for a guy who had such an upside. And quite a disappointment for those who worked hard in his development.

I'm sure the reactions in the locker room are similar to ours on the board. Some will feel disappointed, some will be angry and some will be indifferent. Lets hope it doesn't divide an already slightly fragile locker room. I feel pretty sure that question of who stays and who goes has weighed heavily on the Defense for a couple of weeks. It good to create competition among players but sometimes, it can backfire too.

Hopefully the team as a whole moves on since the issue of opening roster space is no longer an issue.

They were talking about it on XM today and they seemed to think that Babs is done in NC and has clearly made a bad name himself with 29 other teams. They reiterated that JR has been around the block and is probably one the most respected and business savvy GM's in the business. He's not going to play games and always shoots straight with people. Whether it be Anton or his agent, he has more than likely shot himself in the foot at the NHL level.

Tragic, for a guy who had such an upside. And quite a disappointment for those who worked hard in his development.

I'm sure the reactions in the locker room are similar to ours on the board. Some will feel disappointed, some will be angry and some will be indifferent. Lets hope it doesn't divide an already slightly fragile locker room. I feel pretty sure that question of who stays and who goes has weighed heavily on the Defense for a couple of weeks. It good to create competition among players but sometimes, it can backfire too.

Hopefully the team as a whole moves on since the issue of opening roster space is no longer an issue.

Watching hockey is not a "need". It is a want that can be foregone.

i disagree!! :D

i definitely need hockey to survive

Yea i'm gonna have to agree with Slim, I think what he's trying to say that inturnthe players workl for the fans

I'm surprised Tanabe wasnt brought up in the Superbowl topic....he gets brought up everywhere else......Topic about Babchuk....tanabes fault. Staal isnt producing earlier this year thats right that was Tanabes fault..

I'm loving it because at this point its hilarious considering hes a top 4 d-man in the last 20 games has had about 8 points which is good for a d-man and actually is leading the team in +/- which last time I checked means goals arent being scored when hes on the ice. Whats really funny is that when Glen Wesley was a +8 on a team of negatives back in 03 he was our best defensemen to the fans. Same team of negatives this year and Tanabe is the scapegoat for everything right down to why you broke up with your girlfriend or boyfriend. I loved that one guy in a previous topic actually said yea hes doing great but I'm still going to blame him cause its easy, thank you for defining ignorance for me.

I hope we trade Tanabe, this cold weather has been killing me. (It's his fault, you know...) :P

Take that guy in Boston. He got suspended cause he failed to show up to their minor team and like a week later he was traded for nothing. I'm sure someone can remember the guys name and what Boston got for him. Don't think it was much though.

Wasn't that guy also a player from one of the former Soviet Union states?

The explanations given by Babs and his Agent, what little there is, are a bit confusing to me. It's like arguing with a ref who is never going to go back on his call just because a player didn't like it. What did Babs and his Agent try to accomplish anyway? Did they really, honestly think that JR is going to say "Oh yea, how dumb of me. Of course you guys are right, Babs is so much better than others, let me put Gleason, Tanabe or Seidenberg on waivers so Babs can stay up here". ??? C'mon.

As for his agent's advice, I think it was probably greatly influenced by the percentage he takes out of Bab's paycheck ever month. The 90% pay cut affects him as well as Babs.

Take that guy in Boston. He got suspended cause he failed to show up to their minor team and like a week later he was traded for nothing. I'm sure someone can remember the guys name and what Boston got for him. Don't think it was much though.

Wasn't that guy also a player from one of the former Soviet Union states?

The explanations given by Babs and his Agent, what little there is, are a bit confusing to me. It's like arguing with a ref who is never going to go back on his call just because a player didn't like it. What did Babs and his Agent try to accomplish anyway? Did they really, honestly think that JR is going to say "Oh yea, how dumb of me. Of course you guys are right, Babs is so much better than others, let me put Gleason, Tanabe or Seidenberg on waivers so Babs can stay up here". ??? C'mon.

As for his agent's advice, I think it was probably greatly influenced by the percentage he takes out of Bab's paycheck ever month. The 90% pay cut affects him as well as Babs.

Well Said... It really is like a kid throwing a tantrum where the last thing you would do as a parent is to say OK you were right...You can stay out as late as you want. As far as his agents advice 10% of 90K or 10% of nothing the next two years hmmmmmm No Brainer.... JR will let him rot for a year or so AKA Irbe before he cuts him loose. I really hope its a misunderstanding and that we (fans ) only have half the story but given Grossmans comments I really dont think so...

I loved that one guy in a previous topic actually said yea hes doing great but I'm still going to blame him cause its easy, thank you for defining ignorance for me.

Wow, that guy would be me, and you got it all wrong. I said I'd blame Tanabe because he's been the scapegoat for most of the year. We all realize there's no real reason to blame him anymore, since as you pointed out, he's doing well. Any "blame" that's put on him is usually light-hearted.

However, in this topic, he's relevant to discussion. Anton was producing more than him, and if it weren't for Anton's 2-way contract, Tanabe would have been a definite possibility for the minors. So call that "blame" if you want, but I call it fact.

I just think that it'll be a cold day in Buffalo before JR will screw another more deserving player, or handcuff Lavi and the entire team in their run for the play-offs, just for a young guy who feels that he is too good for the AHL or above sitting out a few games for the benefit of the team. Though I don't know the whole story either but I think that doing what was asked of him and trusting in his manager's decisions would have left no one doubting his character or committment to the team.

Btw, does anyone know what the salary status is of a suspended player who refuses to play in the AHL? I can't see him even getting his AHL salary since he doesn't play there. Could that mean that a suspended player doesn't not paid at all? Just curious.

I just think that it'll be a cold day in Buffalo before JR will screw another more deserving player, or handcuff Lavi and the entire team in their run for the play-offs, just for a young guy who feels that he is too good for the AHL or above sitting out a few games for the benefit of the team. Though I don't know the whole story either but I think that doing what was asked of him and trusting in his manager's decisions would have left no one doubting his character or committment to the team.

Btw, does anyone know what the salary status is of a suspended player who refuses to play in the AHL? I can't see him even getting his AHL salary since he doesn't play there. Could that mean that a suspended player doesn't not paid at all? Just curious.

No Money if suspended ... Which again leads me to my question of WHAT THE HECK was his agent thinking?

Hope this doesn't upset anyone, but here's my take:

Good for him. Babchuk got completely shafted by Rutherford. He was ranked sixth out of the 10 defenders and it was clearly a bad move to send him packing. Several other players come to mind who should have taken his place, but I sure hope Rutherford has a plan. Of course I think Babchuk should have respected his GM's orders and stuck it out in the AHL, but I can see where he's coming from. He was with that team all the way to their Stanley Cup win, and none of us fans saw it coming. By refusing to go to Albany, Anton is definitely cutting off his nose to spite his face. Hopefully he hasn't tarnished his rep too much, because I'm sure there is a GM out there who'd appreciate his apparent talent. All I can say is good luck, Babchuk, enjoy the break, and we miss you! (Or at least this fan does.)

the mrs.

Several other players come to mind who should have taken his place,
Like.. Ladd? Ladd and Babchuk were the only two players with 2-way contracts. Why does everyone keep forgetting this? This wasn't about *BABCHUK.* This was about doing what it takes to make room for Kaberle.

I'm surprised Tanabe wasnt brought up in the Superbowl topic....he gets brought up everywhere else......Topic about Babchuk....tanabes fault. Staal isnt producing earlier this year thats right that was Tanabes fault..

I'm loving it because at this point its hilarious considering hes a top 4 d-man in the last 20 games has had about 8 points which is good for a d-man and actually is leading the team in +/- which last time I checked means goals arent being scored when hes on the ice. Whats really funny is that when Glen Wesley was a +8 on a team of negatives back in 03 he was our best defensemen to the fans. Same team of negatives this year and Tanabe is the scapegoat for everything right down to why you broke up with your girlfriend or boyfriend. I loved that one guy in a previous topic actually said yea hes doing great but I'm still going to blame him cause its easy, thank you for defining ignorance for me.

Thank you

From what I've gotten so far, I agree. Ladd and Babs were 2 way. Take one for the team, wait a while, and eventually get called up. Continue playing time, or sit out healthy for a while. Sad.

Babchuk was the logical one to go down to the AHL. Especially seeing what has been happening to our forwards (possibly three down). He also would have been the first one back up with the expanded roster if not sooner due to trading some other D. I think we are going to need all the D we can get when we make it to the playoffs so I am still hoping everything works out.

Several other players come to mind who should have taken his place,
Like.. Ladd? Ladd and Babchuk were the only two players with 2-way contracts. Why does everyone keep forgetting this? This wasn't about *BABCHUK.* This was about doing what it takes to make room for Kaberle.

Thank you! Folks need to remember JR is not paid to do what is fair or nice but what helps the Carolina Hurricanes WIN Hockey Games PERIOD. With Due respect Mrs RB would you take the chance of putting Tanabe, Hutch, Seidenberg, (fill in your favorite Dman here) on waivers and have another team claim them and get Nothing or send a kid down who at 22 YO could still use some AHL seasoning in addition to doing what is best for the team? The players understand that possibility when they sign their first contract in the NHL or AHL.

okay i understand the concept of waivers...but...what are they actually? what's all this "2 way" stuff? and why does babs have them and not anyone else?

Players are signed to one-way or two-way contracts. The everyday players (ex. Brindy, Staal, etc.) are all on one-way contracts. Prospects and marginal players (ex. Babchuk, Ladd, Bayda, Willis, etc.) are on two-way contracts. A one-way contract means the player must clear waivers in order to be sent to the minors, meaning all the other teams have chance to claim him, which means we'd lose him for nothing. Players with two-way contracts can be sent to the minors freely without having to go through waivers.

Players are signed to one-way or two-way contracts. The everyday players (ex. Brindy, Staal, etc.) are all on one-way contracts. Prospects and marginal players (ex. Babchuk, Ladd, Bayda, Willis, etc.) are on two-way contracts. A one-way contract means the player must clear waivers in order to be sent to the minors, meaning all the other teams have chance to claim him, which means we'd lose him for nothing. Players with two-way contracts can be sent to the minors freely without having to go through waivers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but two way contracts also mean that the player will get paid MUCH less if he goes to the AHL and one way contracts they get paid the same

Thank you! Folks need to remember JR is not paid to do what is fair or nice but what helps the Carolina Hurricanes WIN Hockey Games PERIOD. With Due respect Mrs RB would you take the chance of putting Tanabe, Hutch, Seidenberg, (fill in your favorite Dman here) on waivers and have another team claim them and get Nothing or send a kid down who at 22 YO could still use some AHL seasoning in addition to doing what is best for the team? The players understand that possibility when they sign their first contract in the NHL or AHL.

You're right, I didn't think about that. I guess I personally view Tanabe as expendable. Hope JR's plan shakes out and proves that sending Babchuk down to Albany really was the right choice.

As for Babchuk, since he didn't go to Albany, does he plan to in the near future, or what will become of our once-beloved Cane?

I hate seeing the team get shuffled around. They start to grow on the fans like family after a while.

the mrs.

HAHAHA, I have to share this with everyone. My friend's way of letting me know he was getting offline was to say "well im out like babchuk in a carolina uniform" hahaha, I find that highly amusing. Sorry to those who don't