The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
GRAHAMESGIRL47

GET RID OF TANABE!!!

As long as Tanabe is one of our better d-men (which he is right now) JR is gonna keep him. Stop complaining because hes not your favorite or he might have screwed up. Remember Wallin last year when he put the puck in our own net on a delayed penalty? No one got on him so get off Tanabe.

I have to say, after reading through the thread I'm dissapointed to see some can not have a mature debate instead resort to insulting. Perhaps a user is handicapped in one way or another, would you feel horrible for your insulting remarks? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Please think before you shoot from the hip, this is not a perfert world, not everyone is perfect.

I think there should be a few apologies.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

Tanabe is doing fine, he has made a few mistakes, but he was brought in to help carry SOME of the load. Some people here are starting to sound alot like Leaf fans....BOOOOO!!!

Legend, in this thread no one has really resorted to fighting yet which is so good to see. Usually in Tanabe threads it's a mud sling between his fans and people who hate him. This has been refreshing to see! As I said earlier, it's nice to finally see him get the recognition he deserves.

Oh, and I've been saying for awhile that Commy has been off his game. I still love him, but he hasn't been playing very well for awhile. He's not horrible, but his hits have been off, he gets the puck lost in his skates and hasn't been doing as good of a job keeping things in our end. This isn't a bash on Commy. I still think he's a great d-man, I just have noticed these things for a bit as well. I miss the Commy of last year and earlier this season. Don't know what's up with him, but I hope he re-finds his groove soon!

Commie is fine I had to use him since hes viewed by most as our Best man.... I think Commie's problem is he has a bad understanding of when to pinch and once the pucks in the corner hes supposed to back off and go back to the blue line and let a forward pick it up. He doesnt, he'll get pinned up on the boards deep and then the puck will either go into our possesion or not its really playing the luck game at this point. Then if its not in our possession theres a good chance of a breakout pass leading to a 2 on 1 or a 2 on 2 with a forward back and most of our forwards just cant do that. Lavi is the NHL coach not me... but if I was I wouldnt let Commie, Wesley and Gleason pinch. I would put 1 offensive d-man with a defensive... Tanabe and Commie together maybe that'll make some cringe...but I think it could be interesting.

hot wasabi is doin' just fine, don't bash!

yeah he's make mistakes here and there, but srsly, who doesn't? cut the man some slack. i actually think that when you look at the whole picture, he's not too shabby!

I've read this message board for over a year now and never felt the need to post a message but I've had enough. I really think we need to take our bias feelings out of these discussions about our players.

Last saturday at the Boston Game I was not proud to be a canes fan. My wife in i drive 1:45 minutes one way just to support our team. We have only missed maybe two home games all season and have been fans since the Canes came to NC. I've never heard any home team fans make such

ridiculous comments about there own players. We're flat out a bunch of spoiled babies. We have been spoiled by some great teams and some great players. Ask Toronto and Buffalo there fans feel watching there team hold the stanley cup. If you don't know the game and you want to knock the players that have brought us several great teams and a Stanley Cup please stay at the house and booh the TV. Tanabe has came a long ways in his devolopement as a defenseman, you newbie fans who just jumped on the bandwangon after the cup Tababe has forward instincts because he played forward all of his life until our organazation moved him to a defenseman In 2001-2002. I think we should be proud of his devolopement and the character he has shown in changing from forward to defenseman. We saw this week what a selfish player like Babchuck thinks when he refuses to do the best thing for the team and go down for a few days until we can free up roster space.

This might not be the right place for this comment but you fans who are boohing Eric Staal need to get a clue. At the age of 21 he led the NHL in playoff points, how about game three overtime winner in Montreal, how about 100 points last year, how about Eric never sitting out games due to injury, how about him being one of our two all-stars, how about being one of the most humble players I've ever seen for being a star at 21, how about having close to 50 points this season, how about taking all the pressure as a 22 year old from the whole team playing inconsistent hockey and having your own fans turn on you after scoring 23 goals already this season and never blaming anyone but himself for his play now thats called character. How many players have been boohed on pace for 30 goals and 70 points this season. I don't want to hear any of you so called fans jump back on the bandwagon when he gets hot again and starts burning up the net and leads us to the southeast division champonship.

My wife and I traveled a couple of weeks ago to Washington to see the Canes play and I was amazed at the respect those fans had for our team. I was also amazed how positive there fans were about there team. The Caps just got hammered the night before by us and the fans never started hollaring out at there players offensive comments. Maybe we should go back to the basics like our team is trying to do and start appreciating the players that we have and the team that we have because we could be like the caps and be in 12th place in the division with pretty much no chance to make the playoffs with the most self absorbed, cocky, overated, annoying player in hockey (Mr. Ovechekin)

Sorry for the long post just trying to get the good Karma started back in the RBC Building!!!!!!

This might not be the right place for this comment but you fans who are boohing Eric Staal need to get a clue. At the age of 21 he led the NHL in playoff points, how about game three overtime winner in Montreal, how about 100 points last year, how about Eric never sitting out games due to injury, how about him being one of our two all-stars, how about being one of the most humble players I've ever seen for being a star at 21, how about having close to 50 points this season, how about taking all the pressure as a 22 year old from the whole team playing inconsistent hockey and having your own fans turn on you after scoring 23 goals already this season and never blaming anyone but himself for his play now thats called character. How many players have been boohed on pace for 30 goals and 70 points this season. I don't want to hear any of you so called fans jump back on the bandwagon when he gets hot again and starts burning up the net and leads us to the southeast division champonship.

Well, welcome to the boards first of all!

I know this is probably kinda directed towards me and a few other posters...when I pick on Eric Staal though, its mostly just joking. I know he is just not at the pace he was before. It's just picking a bit of fun, I dunno if you can tell but its really not mean spirited at all LOL Plus, I was never on the Staal bandwagon, so I don't feel bad not being on it now :)

If I can't pick on other people's favorite players, why should you be able to, mr. one post?

Ovechkin is a hockey god and deserves every ounce of hype. Without him the team is garbage, and with a good center they'll be better than the canes.

If anyone is overrated it is eric staal, by far. But his IS good and i like him.

Thanks for the post KernerCane, welcome. I agree, fan behavior recently at games has been a bit of the "spoiled fan syndrome". Overall, thankfully, the majority at the RBC are still interested in encouraging the team ("Let's go Canes!") when they show some poor play as opposed to booing them.

Regarding Tanabe, he showed me an awful lot when Ponikarovsky took out Brindy's knee in the game vs. Toronto on Jan. 30th and he went right after him! Tanabe is no fighter (and unfortunately showed that in the bout with Ponikarovsky), but the fact that he so readily went after him in a fight in order to stand up for our Captain made it all the more impressive. Many notches went up in my opinion of Tanabe after that!

KernersvilleCaniac, I admire your dedication with that kind of commute. There are definitely a good number of bandwagoners who feel their ride has been spoiled because the team has struggled. That happens and for those to convert to loyal fans it's worth suffering through the ones that won't because they don't last long.

Another kind of bandwagoning goes on with respect to players. Some people think some guys can do no wrong and other can do no right. Ask the "negative bandwagoners" for specifics about why somebody isn't getting it done in their opinion and there almost never is anything of substance. Try it next time you sit next to one of them.

KernersvilleCaniac, I admire your dedication with that kind of commute. There are definitely a good number of bandwagoners who feel their ride has been spoiled because the team has struggled. That happens and for those to convert to loyal fans it's worth suffering through the ones that won't because they don't last long.

Another kind of bandwagoning goes on with respect to players. Some people think some guys can do no wrong and other can do no right. Ask the "negative bandwagoners" for specifics about why somebody isn't getting it done in their opinion and there almost never is anything of substance. Try it next time you sit next to one of them.

Next time (and hopefully we don't need another next time) I say that Tanabe sucks, ask me and I'll give you a good five minute run down on his lack of awareness on the ice, not keeping his head up, completely missing the puck, making bad passes, poor puck handling, and just generally being out of position.

Some of us have reasons for what we say, as I said, I have gotten on Tanabe's case before and will continue to keep a close eye on him, but in the last few games he has definitely stepped his game up and I give him the respect he deserves for that and say good job Tanabe.

I don't hate any player on our team, but as we've discussed in other threads before, I'm not going to sit there and be happy and love them all no matter what they do. I'm paying to watch my favorite team, and if I have to be critical of some of them at times, then I will be, but I try to keep it fair across the boards and not get on any one player more than another. Example: I think this last week off for Cory was a good thing. He'd been playing VERY sloppy before, wiffing on half of his shots, missing rebounds RIGHT in front of the net, etc. Hopefully the time off will help him out.

Next time (and hopefully we don't need another next time) I say that Tanabe sucks, ask me and I'll give you a good five minute run down on his lack of awareness on the ice, not keeping his head up, completely missing the puck, making bad passes, poor puck handling, and just generally being out of position.

Some of us have reasons for what we say, as I said, I have gotten on Tanabe's case before and will continue to keep a close eye on him, but in the last few games he has definitely stepped his game up and I give him the respect he deserves for that and say good job Tanabe.

I don't hate any player on our team, but as we've discussed in other threads before, I'm not going to sit there and be happy and love them all no matter what they do. I'm paying to watch my favorite team, and if I have to be critical of some of them at times, then I will be, but I try to keep it fair across the boards and not get on any one player more than another. Example: I think this last week off for Cory was a good thing. He'd been playing VERY sloppy before, wiffing on half of his shots, missing rebounds RIGHT in front of the net, etc. Hopefully the time off will help him out.

AJerman, I wasn't trying to indict everyone who criticized Tanabe which is why I stated "some people" when defining the makeup of that category. You don't fit that profile and in fact I was one of the more vocal critics of Tanabe's play on this board earlier this season. He isn't a star and even with his recent play I ranked him yesterday as only a #5/6 on the Canes depth chart. My simple point was that some people hear something and they harp on it with no reason other than piling on. Those are the fans who can't give specifics.

I would disagree with your assertion that his play has improved over the last few games. It picked up well over a month and he had a good stretch of playing very well and arguably at a top 2 level. As guys have returned though he has not been as consistent.

I agree with you about Stillman. The first few games after he came back he looked pretty darn good and he got even better for a time after that. But over the last 10-12 games or so he has been just plain bad. Gliding when he should be skating, showing little of the vision on the ice he's known for and a prominent hesitation in making decisions with the puck.

AJerman, I wasn't trying to indict everyone who criticized Tanabe which is why I stated "some people" when defining the makeup of that category. You don't fit that profile and in fact I was one of the more vocal critics of Tanabe's play on this board earlier this season. He isn't a star and even with his recent play I ranked him yesterday as only a #5/6 on the Canes depth chart. My simple point was that some people hear something and they harp on it with no reason other than piling on. Those are the fans who can't give specifics.

I would disagree with your assertion that his play has improved over the last few games. It picked up well over a month and he had a good stretch of playing very well and arguably at a top 2 level. As guys have returned though he has not been as consistent.

I agree with you about Stillman. The first few games after he came back he looked pretty darn good and he got even better for a time after that. But over the last 10-12 games or so he has been just plain bad. Gliding when he should be skating, showing little of the vision on the ice he's known for and a prominent hesitation in making decisions with the puck.

Oh I know, and I was just trying to make the same opposite point, that a lot of times people come in crying because they are perfect fans that would cheer on any person in a canes jersey even if he didn't know how to skate, just because someone says something bad about a player. I was just pointing out that while you ask for reasons, frequently there are reasons. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are ignorant to how hockey is played and bandwagon on players like you say, but we don't all need to be yelled at every time we say a player is bad.

Also, I can agree that he has improved over the past month or so in saying that he was a player that I wouldn't even begin to play, to he became a player that you can at least put out on the ice, but my point was that in the last few games he's played like a player that I actually would give more time. He played very well in the last game and if he'd keep that up I'd have no problem cheering him on all the time, I just want to make sure he keeps it up.

Unfortunately after we said that about Cory, he just got stuck on IR... we should have kept our mouths shut I guess. He did need a little time off to rest, but I only meant a few games. :?

Edit: Actually I guess he was put on IR yesterday. I just read about it.

Oh I know, and I was just trying to make the same opposite point, that a lot of times people come in crying because they are perfect fans that would cheer on any person in a canes jersey even if he didn't know how to skate, just because someone says something bad about a player. I was just pointing out that while you ask for reasons, frequently there are reasons. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are ignorant to how hockey is played and bandwagon on players like you say, but we don't all need to be yelled at every time we say a player is bad.

Also, I can agree that he has improved over the past month or so in saying that he was a player that I wouldn't even begin to play, to he became a player that you can at least put out on the ice, but my point was that in the last few games he's played like a player that I actually would give more time. He played very well in the last game and if he'd keep that up I'd have no problem cheering him on all the time, I just want to make sure he keeps it up.

Unfortunately after we said that about Cory, he just got stuck on IR... we should have kept our mouths shut I guess. He did need a little time off to rest, but I only meant a few games. :?

Well said and I'm with you on the counterpoint. That's true there are many fans who feel criticism is sacrilegious in some way. Neither of us apparently subscribe to that theory but I will leave to you to coin a term for that one. :wink:

I remember getting ripped for saying Brindy had a bad stretch at one point. Over 82 games they all do at some point.

Well said and I'm with you on the counterpoint. That's true there are many fans who feel criticism is sacrilegious in some way. Neither of us apparently subscribe to that theory but I will leave to you to coin a term for that one. :wink:

I remember getting ripped for saying Brindy had a bad stretch at one point. Over 82 games they all do at some point.

Haha, I've tried my hardest to think of a good name for those kind of fans before but I can't think of anything good. They are like all weather super fans rather than fair weather fans haha.

Anyway, yeah, they all have their times. If we could get all our guys to play at the top of their game all at once we'd surely be on our way to getting the cup again, no doubt about it.

I'm not the fan that thinks every player wearing a canes jersey is doing no wrong. I wasn't extremely unhappy when they brought back Tanabe, all I'm saying is that he has made big time developtment as a D-man this season. He is not the reason we're not consistent this year. Two reasons why we are in the 7th spot verses the 2nd spot last year and these are facts: Injuries-we haven't been healthy all year with key playersmissing significant time.

Goaltending- Cam Ward hasn't become a #1 goalie in the regular season yet. He will have one or two games in a row that are spectacular and then throw a stinker in there. Gerber set the franchise record for wins in a regular season last year. Graham has 5 wins I think that's enough said.

Saying this I believe that if we can make one big trade, get healthy and have one of our goalies or both get hot win can make another run.

Oh yea keep boohing Staal he had 3 points tonight and had a little support with three bus loads from Thunder Bay.

By the way AO you can make all the predictions about Ovechekin that you want but until he raises the cup or better yet gets in the playoffs you can just play the what if game and say how good he would be if he had this or that. Right now Staal has ring and has scored goals when it matters.

All I got to say is Tanabe was out there for 1 GA and Commodore 3 GA tonight..Honestly if Commodore would quit being so flat footed he coulda stopped the 5th goal he got burned to the outside one of the 3 goals.

Dont know where the heats coming from on Tanabe the fire should be down Commies back.

All I got to say is Tanabe was out there for 1 GA and Commodore 3 GA tonight..Honestly if Commodore would quit being so flat footed he coulda stopped the 5th goal he got burned to the outside one of the 3 goals.

Dont know where the heats coming from on Tanabe the fire should be down Commies back.

Hot wasabi was on first tonight. After these last few games, anyone who says Tanabe is trash, or whatever they were calling him, is saying it just to say it.

By the way AO you can make all the predictions about Ovechekin that you want but until he raises the cup or better yet gets in the playoffs you can just play the what if game and say how good he would be if he had this or that. Right now Staal has ring and has scored goals when it matters.

Thats not really fair to AO... he really cant be 20 guys... with that kinda mentality Dan Marino was garbage... which is untrue in every aspect.

At the same time hes only 20 or 21 or whatever...

Ovechkin cant help the fact Ted Lenosis is a moron and running that team into the ground either. He's stuck there til hes a UFA.

Hot wasabi was on first tonight. After these last few games, anyone who says Tanabe is trash, or whatever they were calling him, is saying it just to say it.

I really think JR's mediocre defense is finally getting fried... we really need to bring in at least one d-man whose a game changer rather then 10 guys who on any given night suck...or play like gods.

The mediocre D was fine last year because we could flat out OUTscore everyone.... were not doing that this year at all.

Am I reading this correctly? You say Staal is a better player because he has a MUCH better supporting cast? He had 10 times the cast last year when he scored 100 points, 6 LESS than ovechkin. He's some 30 behind ovechkin this year. He has help, AO has little more than last year. As for being as skilled with the puck the contest is laughable. Staal's redeeming quality is he has the best shot in the league in my opinion.

I agree fans should not be booing at the games. The first time it happened I was taken by surprise and embrassed with opposing fans in the stadium. The guys, majority of them had a long season last year with little time to recoup and rest. Yes, they are having a hard time this year and rightfully so, I can not imagine the stress their bodies go through. Burned out comes to mind, overworked.

I agree fans should not be booing at the games. The first time it happened I was taken by surprise and embrassed with opposing fans in the stadium. The guys, majority of them had a long season last year with little time to recoup and rest. Yes, they are having a hard time this year and rightfully so, I can not imagine the stress their bodies go through. Burned out comes to mind, overworked.

Fans have been booing the team for a long time. The last Fan Appreciation night before the lockout comes to mind because we were doing so bad that people started booing and chanting for Irbe. Weekes got pretty pissed and broke his stick over the crossbar. I never booed before then, but after that night I realized just how much it does affect the guys even if they don't show it, so I don't boo now either. People are going to do it. You can't stop them, you know? So they can boo. It's their right. But I won't be joining in.

Tanabe has had ups and downs this season, but come on, are you serious? He is not my favorite player, but he is a promising defenseman who got 2 assists the first night back from an injury. Frankie got a GW goal, but most players are lucky to get a single point in a returning game. =( I think he is improving every game. If only he worked on slap-shot accuracy, he would help a LOT on the power-plays. (Commie is a DD, he shouldn't pinch up much, thus depleting the fact he has a beauty of a slapper, but since Davey is an OD, he can pinch in and if he molds his slapper, it would help us where we need it)