The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
biggssalvatore

The Czech Condor is back

I guess what also bothers me about this trade is that it seems we essentially traded Jack Johnson for Gleason and.....Vasicek. :-o Suddenly it seems even more lopsided!

yeah in the end, it was a stupid move, but like i said, maybe there was somethin internal with Belanger that we will never know about that happened. We all know Joe was always loved here.....

as far as salaries are concerned,

Vasicek: $1,300,000 through this season

Belanger: $1,300,000 thorugh this season

so basically, he isnt cheaper, but isnt more expensive.....

agian, must be something about Belanger that isnt clicking internally....just my opinion

I think that they are both RFAs next season. Joe will probably be able to be signed for far less that Belanger. This move could be as much about the future as the present.

Well, JR's penchant for bringing back old faces hasn't changed. Wonder if we'll trade Letowski for KAdams next.

For the little I've seen of him, Joe's been no different for the Preds than he was for us last year. But here's hoping his whopping 4 goals in 38 games this year really pumps up our offense. Then again he's not that far behind Belanger's pace (8 goals in 56 games), whom I was never that enamored with anyway. Still, I'll surprised and kinda disappointed if this turns out to be JR's "big" move. When he says he wants to boost our offense, its hard to believe Joe is the guy he's been targeting.

Mabye with the injuries to Cole ,Stillman,and Walker JR thougt that Big Joe might be a better fit on the first or second line. He always seemed to be a nice guy,so I'm happy to see him back. Tanabe is a much better player on his second go around with the Canes, mabye Joe will pick up his game as well.

I don't care for this trade at all. We got rid of the Condor for a reason, he's slow. He wasn't fitting in with Lavi's system at all. Atleast Belanger had the speed. And all he needed was good linemates. Can't fault a guy for not being up to your standards because his linemates changed every game. Don't think Vasichek is gonna do any better centering the likes of Letowski, LaRose, or Craig.

There's still got to be another trade brewing. We have too many defenseman. But now that the JR supposedly got his high power forward (ok whatever) wonder whiche defenseman is gone and for what.

Vasicek will be a RFA after this year. Belanger qualifies for UFA under the new CBA. I'm not sure how to make sense of this trade either, but this could be a factor.

With this, we will only have to worry about two potential UFA forwards this offseason -- Walker and Whitney.

hey,

i kinda feel bad for you guys. vasisuck was awful for us. he has been a healthy scratch for the past, well i don't remember when he played last. we thought we were getting a big guy with some toughness, and we haven't gotten it. he doesn't use his body and was playing in between two pretty good offensive talents in hartnell and radulov. he was so bad trotz dropped him to 4th line wing and eventually was scrathed in favor of 4th line grinders like jerred smithson and vern fiddler.

i hope you guys find the wings of the condor that are clipped. maybe he will be more comfortable back in carolina.

good luck the rest of the year and i hope walker keeps producung for you guys and i hope to see you in the postseason instead of the preseason.

I still trust JR... the man knows what he is doing wrt personnel and is the most highly thought of GM in hockey.

This may be part of a series of bait-and-switches that he is beginning to pull, but if you go back to the comments Lavi made most recently about the "problems" the Hurricanes are having, he specifically noted that they begin and end in the locker room. After the brawl, the rule may be that what starts in the LR STAYS in the LR so the lid is on whatever personnel issues continue to bubble ... however, it sure has been showing on the ice.

If Joe has not sold his house here, if his best friend is Frank, if he was a "fit" in our locker room, then JR may be expecting that a return "home" may be the impetus Jo needs to spread his wings again. AND, he himself may be bringing something to the personnel mix on a personal (I am NOT talking skating here) level that JR and some others think is missing.

Whatever it is, JR is very intuitive. He knows his game, he knows his men, and I would throw down to defend his decisions. He just is in his own zone on these things. This is what HE does best... like a Grand Master in chess, some times you have to wait and watch for the game to play itself out to see what he had planned 'way back when and you realize he's been seeing how things will unfold 'way ahead of the game.

Anyway, I trust him implicitly. Unless he goes and tells Rod to join John and Tripp in speedos in MN, I'll follow him through the Valley of Death. That speedo thing, though, uh-uh. Even I have my limits. (and sorry, John - didn't mean to include you in Tripp's plans !?!) :shock:

Does this mean that JR has given up on this year's team? Does this mean that we are "selling" instead of "buying"? Wake me up! Tell me there is another trade in the works...please.

Nashville is #1 in hockey right now and wanting to true up their team for a cup run.

Joe was/is one of my fav's but goodness. Sorry for the negative but oh my...

Knee surgery...hip flexor...doesn't use his size....not very fast, there are others to describe Joe. I thought maybe I was having a daytime dream and that it didn't really happen, however my dream is in fact a nightmare. A fully healthy hard working good skating, above average faceoff winner...gone for Joe. While I trust JR, I'm scratching my head on this one. If Joe would at least use his size and hit something (the puck included) this might not be a bad idea. I hope this isn't the big forward we are going after.

i kinda feel bad for you guys. vasisuck was awful for us. he has been a healthy scratch for the past, well i don't remember when he played last. we thought we were getting a big guy with some toughness, and we haven't gotten it. he doesn't use his body and was playing in between two pretty good offensive talents in hartnell and radulov. he was so bad trotz dropped him to 4th line wing and eventually was scrathed in favor of 4th line grinders like jerred smithson and vern fiddler.

Trust me I know what were getting in Slow Jo and I don't like it. Yes he is a very nice person, but his skills suck IMHO. We got rid of him for a reason. He was too slow for Lavi's system. Atleast Belanger had grit, speed, and was great for us in the face off circle. Slow Jo hasn't done anything for us, hence him sitting in the pressbox during the playoffs and then eventually being traded for Walker (who us caniacs love to death).

Nasville won this trade by a long shot.

I was kind of hoping this was gonna be a 3-way deal, with Hutch/Vasichek going to the Rags for Matt Cullen. It was rumoured that NY was interested in Vasichek, why I don't know, but they do like taking on ex-canes. And rumoured that JR was interested in getting Cullen back. But seems like were stuck with the Condor. Guess I'll be going back to yelling "Move your feet Jo"

I dunno, this may work to our advantage. As most you saw last night, the Bruins were beating the hell out of our team, physically. And let's face it, with the exception of a couple scuffles throughout the season, we're not a team that lands the big checks. Maybe this is the reasoning behind the trade.

Personally though, I'm with the rest of you. As it stands right now, this trade doesn't make sense. However, I believe it's all a prelude to another trade coming up. Joe + D-man for some big name 1st or 2nd liner.

I dunno, this may work to our advantage. As most you saw last night, the Bruins were beating the hell out of our team, physically. And let's face it, with the exception of a couple scuffles throughout the season, we're not a team that lands the big checks. Maybe this is the reasoning behind the trade.

The problem is that Joe doesn't use his size, on offense or defense.

This has to be a prelude to something else. Otherwise, I am with most of you. I just don't get this at all. Belanger had his moments at least - more of them than Joe.

I am quite shocked by this, in fact!!!! :shock:

The problem is that Joe doesn't use his size, on offense or defense.

Guess we'll have to change that, won't we? Lavi and the team have to get him in that mindset.

"See an opposing player with the puck? Crush him, get the puck, and pass to Whitney/Cole/etc."

In response to the poster who thinks re-acquiring Joe was the dumbest move that JR ever made.

No where near it. That honor would have to go to trading J Johson. He was a franchise defenseman. They could have gotten so much more in return if they held onto him until the now.

Don't let the spin the team put out after the trade fool you. They should have been patient and waiting for the right trade to come along. Instead they panicked and pulled the trigger 5 months too early. Johnson was the biggest trade chip the Canes had. They rushed the trade...

In response to the poster who thinks re-acquiring Joe was the dumbest move that JR ever made.

No where near it. That honor would have to go to trading J Johson. He was a franchise defenseman. They could have gotten so much more in return if they held onto him until the now.

Don't let the spin the team put out after the trade fool you. They should have been patient and waiting for the right trade to come along. Instead they panicked and pulled the trigger 5 months too early. Johnson was the biggest trade chip the Canes had. They rushed the trade...

Get real!! JJ was never gonna play here and we needed to unload Oleg - enough said!!!

Kinda agree we rushed the deal and we coulda done better but honestly we got rid of Oleg and that deal was 2 for 1 cause Oleg is horrible.

Dumbest trade ever. Belanger was pretty good, Big Joe always has been and always will be pretty bad with flashes of goodness here and there.