The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
biggssalvatore

The Czech Condor is back

i agree, i use to yell "try slimfast instead of doughnuts" everytime Brendl would take the ice. so much potential but no drive to do anything with it.

I just found out about the trade. Belanger is so good, and I was really happy that he was an addition to the team. I thought Vasicek was fine last year, but is it too late in the season to trade>? Especially for a really great player? Oh what I would give to get inside JR's head! I don't know much about hockey trades, just the game, so how good of a move is this?

the mrs.

EDIT: I have read over the posts on this thread, but there are mixed emotions. I was really just wondering if anyone knew why Belanger of all players would be the one to go, especially since he's a goal scorer. Didn't seem like a necessary trade to me.

The good news is we have big joe AND walker. All nashville has gotten out of us is somene who is just good enough to be on the 3rd line. The bad news is it partly and indirectly cost us part of our blue chip prospect. I'm looking forward to seeing what joe can do with some talent around him ala ladd and walker, and looking for to it even more if we are in the process of trading for big pete.

I just found out about the trade. Belanger is so good, and I was really happy that he was an addition to the team. I thought Vasicek was fine last year, but is it too late in the season to trade>? Especially for a really great player? Oh what I would give to get inside JR's head! I don't know much about hockey trades, just the game, so how good of a move is this?

the mrs.

did you read the thread?

double post!

My gut tells me J.R. is not done trading. I think everyone needs to relax a little! I like Joe, and I'm glad to see him back. Hopefully he'll SKATE this time around :)

Yeah even though I think he'd be a decent fit I found the trade to be odd, especially since we just traded him away. Must be part of something big going down soon. Heard the rangers wanted to trade aaron ward for him, just a thought.

At the end of the day, everybody needs to remember this was a very slow, three team trade. We traded away Oleg (2 X $2.5 MM) and J. ( I won't play in Carolina) J. and we got Walker ($1.52MM) and Gleason ($1.175MM). In my book, we are still ahead. BTW, when you look at Joe's numbers this year vs. Belanger, Joe played about 2/3 of the games that Belanger played, and ended up with about 2/3 of of the points. Overall, maybe a wash in the tangible department and if he brings good chemistry to the locker room, maybe we come out ahead in the intangibles. Not defending the trade cause I don't know what is going on, but keeping an open mind about it so far.

I didn't care for Belanger and am glad to get rid of him - just not for Big Joe!

I remember listening to Tripp one time talking about Joe and how he's one of the best players ... when he puts his mind to it. Even Tripp said that Joe was erratic mentally.

His numbers in Nashville are horrid. But I'm not going to panic. Surely something else will come along trade-wise.

................................................................................

................................................................................

......why? Can't we get somthing better for Belanger? Philly might have given us more.

......why? Can't we get somthing better for Belanger? Philly might have given us more.

Are you kidding? Did you expect forsberg or something?

Is it possible that this deal was a make-up for JR and Nashville. Knowing that JR got the better of the Walker-for-Vasicek deal, it may be that JR made this trade so as to grease the skids for future deals with Nashville or others. In other words, JR may have knowingly given up the better player (Belanger) in order to keep trade options open with Nashville in the future.

Just an idea. Flame me if you want.

I was just at Duke Children's Hospital.. and their Canes Hallway has one single-signed player jersey in it. Vasicek. At the time I was disappointed for the Kids N Community Foundation that the hallway was so outdated..

Now it's fine. :D

I agree with whoever suggested we chill and sit back. The coaches and management know what makes both these guys tick now, and they must think that Joe is going to give them more of what makes our team better down the stretch.

Joe may play with some desparation this time...he is actually going to be UFA and if he wants a decent contract he needs to show why. He also seems to be healthier than he has been in years. Belanger did nothing more than win FO's well.

Lets see what happens.

Is it possible that this deal was a make-up for JR and Nashville. Knowing that JR got the better of the Walker-for-Vasicek deal, it may be that JR made this trade so as to grease the skids for future deals with Nashville or others. In other words, JR may have knowingly given up the better player (Belanger) in order to keep trade options open with Nashville in the future.

Just an idea. Flame me if you want.

whatever you got to tell yourself to make it better dude haha

This is a travesty. Belanger had potential.

I sat here and accused Nashville of being the laughing stock of the league when they traded Walks for Vasi and now they are the last ones laughing.

The folks on predzone.com are laughing at us:

http://www.predzone.com/article.php?id=479

we laugh at predzone on our boards. prednation.com is better and less biased to their favorites.

As I said last year with the Doug Weight pickup ( which I thought was crazy at the time) I trust JR to do the right thing even though we might question what he's doing... I for one can say he has not very often let me down with his moves. We dont know that Belanger didnt ask to be moved behind the scenes (which of course would be the right way to get what you want) and JR might have just been setting up a three way deal or that he thinks Joe could be a good player again as a Center and not the Winger he was in Nash... Just my two pennies.

This trade really doesn't bother me. I think Belanger is the better skater with good speed. Joe probably has the better upside and offensive potential.

What bothers me is the JJ trade. It bothered me when they made the deal and it bothers me know. Even if the Canes knew he wouldn't play in Carolina, they should have had the patience to wait until the trade deadline approached. If they still had his rights, I am sure they would be able to get much more right now than they got from LA. And I don't want to hear about Tverdovsky's contract. The Canes are not up against the cap and still would have had room with him on the books. They could have added him to any JJ trade at anytime. After JJ's performance at the world juniors, his stock would have been higher than ever.

We needed help then, not now as now would have been to late. If we would have waited to trade him now we'd probaly be more worried about scouting the top 5 pics for the up coming draft than trying to make the playoffs.

I know they needed help at the beginning of the season. I strongly feel that there were still UFA that they could have signed that could have provided the same kind of impact that Gleason and Belanger contributed this year. I like Gleason and think he is solid, but you should get more than that when you trade away one of the top three defensive prospects in the world right now.

We wouldn't even be in the playoff hunt if we still had Oleg instead of Walker and Gleason. Now, we are in the hunt AND we have room under the cap to bring in a couple players (just like last year). When a team has enough cap room to bring in someone like Forsberg (not to try and beat that apparently dead horse, just using him as an example) AND someone else, my thought is that management did a pretty good job of planning.

This trade really confused me. I cant say that I was a Big Joe fan because he never stood out to me. Now trading Walker for Joe was a steal for us.

I liked Eric and I am sad to see him go, he kinda reminded me of Kevyn Adams, with his hard work and fast skating. We only had half a season to get to know him. But I wonder if there was some disagreement in the locker room or maybe the Canes are looking to sign Walker and Whitney next season.

Anyway weirder things have happened, like Anna Nicole Smith dropping dead at the age of 39 and me still having a dead end job at the age of 28. :D