The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ward-o

Is Seidenberg that bad?

The Berg has played pretty well since he's been here, but let's not forget the circumstances of his acquirement. He was brought on as a depth D-man, not a starter. Kabs, Commie, Wes, Hedican, and Wallin come first obviously because they are the vets. Next is Gleason because JR had been wanting him for a while. That leaves Hutch, Tanabe, Babchuk and of course Seidenberg. Tanabe has been playing quite well lately so that pretty much puts Seidenberg on the back burner as far as playing games as of late goes.

Personally, I'd rather have Seidenburg out there instead of Hedican. He's much more energetic, he's much more effective getting into the offense, and he doesn't pick up the silly penalties for grabbing or hooking every time the game gets to a critical stage like Hedican does.

Yes, Dennis hit the ground running in Toronto in his first game for us and has given 100% when he's on the ice. He's been a great addition to the line up and given us some real energy when he's out there. I was impressed with how well he was able to pick up communication between his teammates... great passing, great D. If you didn't know better, you'd swear he's been here all season.

Props to the Iceberg! I hope it works out that he stays with us. He seems to fit in with the guys on a personal level as well. But as always, JR is at the wheel of this bus and he has proven time and again that he knows what he is doing. I'll be happy to go along wherever he takes us!

My opinion is that we are holding him out of games to give other players (possible trade type players) some time. I seem to remember that JR mentioned having his eye on the Iceberg for a long time, so I doubt very much that the plan is to get rid of him. Sitting him keeps him healthy while dangling other bait for trade.

Yes, Dennis hit the ground running in Toronto in his first game for us and has given 100% when he's on the ice. He's been a great addition to the line up and given us some real energy when he's out there. I was impressed with how well he was able to pick up communication between his teammates... great passing, great D. If you didn't know better, you'd swear he's been here all season.

Props to the Iceberg! I hope it works out that he stays with us. He seems to fit in with the guys on a personal level as well. But as always, JR is at the wheel of this bus and he has proven time and again that he knows what he is doing. I'll be happy to go along wherever he takes us!

I completely agree. Hopefully he's just giving some other guys a chance to play in hopes of trading one or two of them.

He's certainly got a lot of energy (compared to Hedican and Wesley) but he's made lots of mistakes leading to goals. A defenseman needs time to work his way into the system, but some of the mistakes were so blatant - like letting opposing forwards sneak in behind him for easy rebounds while he stands ten feet out looking the other direction.

Seidenberg has what it takes. He has to skate hard in practice and show what he’s got and the desire to play to earn the ice time. Now that we have healthy Dmen back he will have to crack the line.

I had a football coach tell me that games are won on the practice field. Give 100% in practice and you can give 100% during the game. A slacker in practice will not get the chance to be a slacker in a game.

I don't understand this biz of scratching the Berg....he's added some good D since he came.....my guess is that JR has a big trade on the back burner.....and then we'll see the Berg back in the lineup.

One thing is certain.....we gotta be planning for a future without Wes and Hedican. The Berg will be a great addition to the D.

I hope its cause Tanabe is being shopped. But, I think it was the fourthperiod.com, listed Hutch, Tanabe, and Seidenberg as our potential trade bait. I sure hope their wrong about Seidenberg. I really like this guy and think he should be part of this team's future.

All I can tell you guys is to give it a week or two. The coaches and JR know what they're doing. It's the trade deadline, being a healthy scratch can easily mean that you don't need to be tested anymore, but a few other players need to play so they can decide who to keep and who to trade. Also, as I said in a previous thread, trading a player that you have playing in the AHL or even as a healthy scratch usually isn't going to give you much in return (yes I realize Seidenberg was a healthy scratch at Phoenix, that's why I say usually, that was a good trade for us).

There has been a lot of panic in fans recently about the lines that have been playing, but just stop and think about who you're talking about. JR and Lavi both know VERY well what they are doing. Wait until the trade deadline has passed and we've got our new roster set up and we'll talk about the lines again.

I think that might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. A healthy scratch is due to the fact that you don't need to be tested anymore????? Are you kidding me, or what? Lavi is putting guys on the ice that give him the best chance to win. It's that simple. Seidenberg isn't quite there yet in his development. When he show's Lavi that he deserves more ice time, he'll get it.

I think that they might be playing other d-man in an effort to find out which d-man could be used in an upcoming trade. Seidenberg is better than most of the Canes' d-men, including Tanabe, Babchuk, and Gleason. He has the talent to help the Canes turn the corner.

Exactly. I don't see Seidenberg being traded away right now so if he has a bunch of other guys and it's between a few, he needs them to all play and see which is best and which to trade. Lavi doesn't need to see the best players right now, he needs to see which players he needs to trade. AFTER the trades are over, then he can see who is best and who deserves their ice time. You're overlooking the fact that the trade deadline is rapidly approaching and we need to get rid of some d-men. Lets try to be a little more respectful to each other as well please.

You can't tell me that Lavi doesn't need the best players playing right now when the team is barely hanging onto a playoff spot. That's just ridiculous. Lavi knows who can play and who can't at this point. Seidenberg would be playing if he deserved to be, and if he gave the team the best chance to win, period.

Seidenberg is an outsider coming in. Regardless of whether he plays well or not, even if Lavi is trying to put the best players on the ice, Seidenberg is going to sit because he is not as familiar with the system.