The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
HeyHeyWhatDoYouSay

What IS the problem with Eric Staal

Eric Staal is a scorer. Do you people on tis board even know Hockey? Sorry for being so ugly but I get tired of the fans not understanding how every player the team has there role. You can't compare Larose to Staal. or Brindamour to Staal or Commodore to Staal. Scorers are typically not going to be your high energy players. They are very highly skilled atheletes that can look amazing sometimes and others look like there not giving there best effort. Gretzky, Francis, Jagr, Lemuiex are all scorers asked there fans if they thought these were the were the guys who gave the team energy every night. No, they are all expected to score and make the guys on there line better. Lets think Justin Williams has had his best two offensive years playing the majority of time on the line with Staal. Cole has had average offensive years until the past two playing with Staal. Everytime Ladd moves up to play with Staal his points sky rocket. Cullen last year spent time on the line with Staal he had career numbers. Walker is having a great offensive year majority of his points have come playing on Staals line. Also Staal put up 100 points last year. 53 points this year on his way to 70. Led the Nhl in playoff points last year. All of these things don't happen unless your playing hard the majority of nights. The kid is 22 and is the face of our organization and people are givng him unfair treatment. If you think he's overpaid you are on CRACK. He has won a stanley cup, he put up 40 goals last year and 100 points, lead the nhl in points in the playoffs, he's pace to score 30 goals and 70 points this year and he's just 22 years old with his best years ahead of him.

But again I'm trying to make a point to people who voted Cam Ward 2nd as the best goalie this year in the NHL when he is 27th in GA Average, 32nd Save %, 13th in wins. So I don't expect anyone to understand this post. That's like me saying Staal has been the second best player in the NHL this year. When we all know this is a average year for him. I wish we had more players that could put up 70 points on a down year.

Kudos to you KernersvilleCaniac. That was a great reply. I often visit these boards but never post. I read posting after posting of nonsensical babble.

Its nice to see a posting from someone who truly understands the game.

Good post, Kernersville. I'm guilty of comparing energy levels of role player A vs role player B, so your point about that makes perfect sense to me and is a little bit of a reality check.

KernsvilleCaniac, there's no reason to go after the fans for expressing their opinion of Staal.

Yes, Staal's job is to score and to help others on his team score. And yes, he's been doing that. However, most people want him, at the very minimum, to do what he did last year. He showed that he was capible of more than what he's been doing this year, and thus, people believe he isn't putting as much effort in.

Second, no one in this topic said Staal was overpaid. Stop putting words in our mouths.

And finally, I'm assuming your last comment refers to the poll on the main site. Very few people believe Cam is the 2nd best goalie this year. It's called fan bias. If you stick a team's player in a poll on the team's site, they're going to get a lot of votes. No matter what the team. If we put this same poll on Dallas's site, Buffalo's site, etc, replacing Ward with Turco/Miller respectively, you're bound to get similar results.

Stop blowing things out of proportion.

They said that Tiger Woods slumping was because he was getting married and that after he did get married it would only get worse.

Look how that theory panned out.

Get some penalty minutes on the mattress Eric!! lol

I think Tiger's must have told him that he didn't get any mattress time unless he brought home the winning paycheck (don't you come home with no second or third place money if you want anything from this honey)!!

stop complainig

1. i wouldn't trust the fact that all the calls last nightwere actual penalties

2. he is a prime target on the ice and w/o cole and stillman when hes starting to comeback is probally cutting some of his offense

3. he was hustling. hes fast, but not out of the gate like cole. hes 6'3''. it takes a lot to get your legs pumping at that height, which is why vasicek is slow. size is great, but it cuts overall speed

Stop blowing things out of proportion.

I agree with KearnersvilleCaniac. He's not blowing anything out of proportion, he's clarifying not only for those, like me, who are still learning the specifics of hockey, but also for those who in this thread and others thought maybe Eric needed a press-box or sunny Albany vacation to make him play better.

What is entirely inappropriate are posts about how Staal's sex life is impacting his playing. I wouldn't want anyone commenting on my sex life in a public forum, and I can't imagine anyone else here would either. That is none of our business and has no place in a discussion about his hockey performance.

KernsvilleCaniac, there's no reason to go after the fans for expressing their opinion of Staal.

Yes, Staal's job is to score and to help others on his team score. And yes, he's been doing that. However, most people want him, at the very minimum, to do what he did last year. He showed that he was capible of more than what he's been doing this year, and thus, people believe he isn't putting as much effort in.

Back-to-back 100 point seasons is quite a lot to ask for a 22-year old, no?

Whitney was quoted in the N&O a few weeks ago about how the Hurricanes overachieved last year and I'd say that that also likely applies to Staal. Just because someone put up 100 points or 52 wins one season doesn't mean they are capable of doing it the next. Staal had a hot streak at the beginning of last season and was at one point the NHL's leading scorer, but ended up 7th.

Furthermore, Staal hasn't got the same type quality of linemates as last season. Last year he had Stillman-Cole on his line virtually the entire year up until Cole's injury. He's had numerous linemates this year because of the injuries, the most often being Walker and most recently Walker and Ladd. I like those guys, but they don't come anywhere close to Stillman and Cole.

At some point someone said something like "is THIS what were paying him all that money for?", maybe in another thread. I can tell you one thing, there are a lot of players more overpaid and lazy than eric staal. I also think he overachieved last year. He's not amazingly skilled with the puck or strong on his skates yet, and yet he makes players around him better. Also helps to have that beauty of a shot.

Kerners, I think you've made a good point this time. Especially about the Cam worship. But he is an athletic goalie who is still learning the details and has a poor defense infront of him.

No, they are all expected to score and make the guys on their line better. Lets think, Justin Williams has had his best two offensive years playing the majority of time on the line with Staal. Cole has had average offensive years until the past two playing with Staal.
-KernersvilleCaniac

Williams actually put up his better offensive stats playing with Brind'Amour at center and the rotating cast of characters on the left wing. He had 5 goals in 32 games playing with Staal and Vasicek. This season, Williams has had brief scoring bursts on Staal's line, and more consistent all-around play on Brind'Amour's line.

Williams is not a terribly good set-up man, Stillman is very good, and Staal benefits far more from having Stillman and Cole on his line than he does from having Williams. SSC was a force for a reason.

Staal doesn't display the toughness that Cole does and Williams could never equal Cole in that facet of the game. Cole has more speed than Staal, and possibly(probably) more than Williams, so that helps Staal also. I think Cole also takes some of the pressure from the other team off of Staal, because he is so hard to contain, and you have to go for one or the other.

Williams has been far more 'selfish' with the puck this season(justifiably so), which does not benefit Staal. Staal needs someone to feed him the puck because he's just so good at getting it through traffic and into the net. Advantage Stillman.

With Cole injured currently and Stillman missing most of the season(and injured again), Staal's stats have most likely suffered. He could definitely have hit 100 points again, he is that good. But he needs the proper supporting cast, and he's not getting that from Williams or Ladd, through no fault of theirs or his.

Staal would benefit from having Cole back, and at the very least a Stillman-type player.

Why are you making a big deal about Eric Staal right now? He didn't play well last night but your thinking somethings wrong with him after just one game? Why do you think that his upcoming marriage has something to do with the way he played last night?

Williams actually put up his better offensive stats playing with Brind'Amour at center and the rotating cast of characters on the left wing. He had 5 goals in 32 games playing with Staal and Vasicek. This season, Williams has had brief scoring bursts on Staal's line, and more consistent all-around play on Brind'Amour's line.

Williams is not a terribly good set-up man, Stillman is very good, and Staal benefits far more from having Stillman and Cole on his line than he does from having Williams. SSC was a force for a reason.

Staal doesn't display the toughness that Cole does and Williams could never equal Cole in that facet of the game. Cole has more speed than Staal, and possibly(probably) more than Williams, so that helps Staal also. I think Cole also takes some of the pressure from the other team off of Staal, because he is so hard to contain, and you have to go for one or the other.

Williams has been far more 'selfish' with the puck this season(justifiably so), which does not benefit Staal. Staal needs someone to feed him the puck because he's just so good at getting it through traffic and into the net. Advantage Stillman.

With Cole injured currently and Stillman missing most of the season(and injured again), Staal's stats have most likely suffered. He could definitely have hit 100 points again, he is that good. But he needs the proper supporting cast, and he's not getting that from Williams or Ladd, through no fault of theirs or his.

Staal would benefit from having Cole back, and at the very least a Stillman-type player.

Very well said. A lot of it is who he plays with, and he really does need a setup man like Stillman on his line. Honestly, I think we're seeing this year that the magic wasn't so much Staal and Cole together, but Stillman who helped both Staal and Cole.

The only other person I see currently on the Canes roster that could help Staal would be Whitney. Williams and Walker just don't fit that role. The only other player that could be a setup would be Brindy, and you can't have your two best centers on the same line.

If Cole and Stillman remain out for much longer it might be worthwhile to move Whitney to a line with Staal and Ladd. Not the best line when all are healthy, but could work very well as a temporary line. The problem is that messes up the Brindy line, and who would be with Rod and Williams? Walker maybe? Not horrible, but again not as good as the current line.

Williams and Brind'Amour usually seem to settle into a groove and at that point, anyone who rotates onto that left side is just along for a rollicking good show. Ladd, Vasicek, Stillman, and once in a blue moon, Staal, floated through there last season. I don't think moving Whitney will hurt their play, but it might hurt Whitney's.

Maybe Staal needs to take advantage of his size and start moving people out of the way. He could do that, he could do that so easilly, it's one of the luxuries that being 6' 4" affords him, and he should give it a shot. Because if he starts hitting people or moving them aside, they will get out of the way, and he will get the puck, and he will score goals.

At this point though, we can only hope Stiller will come back soon.

Why are you making a big deal about Eric Staal right now? He didn't play well last night but your thinking somethings wrong with him after just one game? Why do you think that his upcoming marriage has something to do with the way he played last night?

I just mentioned that the stress from getting married could be something that is affecting his play. Not just last night, but recently in general. I don't think he's playing bad by a long shot. Sure he could probably put in a little more effort some nights, but so could most of the guys. I didn't intend for it to come out sounding like I'm bashing him. If that's how it sounded I apologize. :)

Sidney Crosby hasn't scored a goal in eight straight games. What a disaster!! If Pen's management applies some of the same logic as those slamming Staal here, JR should be looking at the waiver wire closely because Pittsburgh will be cutting Sid the Kid anytime now. :roll:

Hmmm...You can learn a lot from his little info blurb on NHL.com

Has missed one game to injury (March 19, 2004) in his entire NHL career... Including the playoffs, he has played in 173 consecutive games for Carolina, the longest current consecutive games played streak on the team

I learned something new today, which means that everything I learned in classes today has been lost. Well worth it. :D

Oh, extremely lucky considering he doesn’t “freaking hustle,†“lacks that ‘umph’ behind his legs,†plays with “lack of effort,†is suffering pre-marital stress and, let's face it, “is not that tough.†The hockey gods are watching over him, for sure... :wink:

Anybody who plays 3 seasons in the NHL and only misses one game due to injury, whose name is not Doug Jarvis, is darn lucky.

(And I said he's not as tough as Cole. Which no matter how you look at it, I don't think ANYONE on the team is as tough as Cole.)

I'm just having some sport with ya', Fightin' ...

Yes, I agree on Cole and tough play and giving it all. He always plays on the edge of his ability. To me, that's how Cole has this absurd reputation as a diver -- the guy is skating so on edge and so to his limit that it doesn't take much of a touch to create a dramatic looking fall.

Thought I'd get a reaction with the thing about Doug Jarvis...

NHL players didn't wear helmets when Gary Unger broke Andy Hebenton's record of 630 consecutive games in 1975. Unger extended the record to 914 games before coach Al MacNeil benched him with a sore shoulder on Dec. 21, 1979. Doug Jarvis broke Unger's record and extended the NHL record to 964 games.

Jarvis played for the Hartford Whalers for 3 seasons. Just in case someone didn't know why I brought him up.