The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
1-Caniac

3 way tie??

...if carolina wins there will be a 3 way tie for the division lead.

Well, not really. Eventhough the teams would have the same # of points, Tampa would still hold the Division lead because the have won 33 games to the Thrasher's 30 and the Canes 31. The Canes could only bump Atlanta from the 6th place ranking. If they look ahead or back over their shoulders shouldn't make a difference as long as they play hard to keep on winning. If they keep winning the standings will take care of themselves.

Although we need to keep an eye on those chasing for the 7th and 8th seeds - Our main goal has to be the Division - It is very obtainable

Tampa has a brutal upcoming schedule including the western canada teams 2/22 at Atl , 2/23 Bos (btb), 2/25 Pit , 2/27 Dal - then 6 straight road games - including Van , Edm , Calg - then Buffalo.

Atlanta is stuggling right now way more then we have been with 2 of the next 3 agianst them it is time to pass them and not look back.

Altough their play has been inconsistent , I have not lost the faith all season that this team still has enough key components to win the Division and make a run.

Also I think last night Cam Wards performance last night spoke for itself that he still has the potential to stand on his head and carry us . Dont loose faith in him - 3 years from now people will be laughing that some were considering that keeping Gerber would have ben the right thing.

We still have 4 against atlanta and 2 against T.B,Theres a possible 12pts there so ya, I think we should concentrate on the division,but I guess more importantly just focus on winning.

Tampa is about to hit their make or break part of their season, as Atlanta did a week or so back.

After playing Pittsburgh and Dallas at home at the end of the month, they will start a 6 game road trip that has them playing 6 games in 13 days before they return home to play the slugs....

Our schedule over that same time period includes:

Back to back with Ottawa, Pittsburgh, then a three game roadie with Atlanta, Washington and Rangers, before returning home to play Florida and New Jersey.

The team just needs to stay focused! And get out to a better start in the first period.

I think it will still boil down to the last week of the season, where we(SouthEast Div) play each other.

We have 2 against the Lightning, 2 against the Panthers and 1 against the Thrashers. This will determine who wins the Division and who makes the playoffs.

What is it about the Western teams that completely dominate the East? The Canes had trouble out West, and it carried over to when they returned home. We've recovered from it, but it took a while. The Thrashers had trouble out West, and they've yet to recover from it.

Would it be too much to ask for a similar experience with the Bolts?

Tampa would lead, not because of more wins, but because of having the least games played (higher winning %age). Most wins comes in at #2 tiebreaker, followed by head:head results.

Well.. not quite. Here are the NHL Official tie-breaking rules.

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2. The greater number of games won.

3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

Tampa Bay has played 60 games, Atlanta and Carolina have played 61. Therefore, Tampa Bay is already ahead of us. After the ATL-CAR game, Tampa Bay will have played 61 games and Atlanta and Carolina will be at 62 games.

Here are the possible outcomes after February 20th (not including possible OT or SO):

Tampa Bay loses to Florida, Carolina beats Atlanta:

1. Tampa Bay (61 games played, 33-24-3, 69 pts)

2. Carolina (62 games played, 31-24-7, 69 pts)

3. Atlanta (62 games played, 30-23-9, 69 pts)

^ That is our best case scenario, which is 2nd place.

Tampa Bay beats Florida, Carolina beats Atlanta:

1. Tampa Bay (61 games played, 34-23-3, 71 pts)

2. Carolina (62 games played, 31-24-7, 69 pts)

3. Atlanta (62 games played, 30-23-9, 69 pts)

^ 2nd best case scenario... Now here comes our worst case scenarios...

Tampa Bay loses to Florida, Carolina loses to Atlanta:

1. Atlanta (62 games played, 31-22-9, 71 pts)

2. Tampa Bay (61 games played, 33-24-3, 69 pts)

3. Carolina (62 games played, 30-25-7, 69 pts)

^ Thats pretty bad.. but not as bad as this...

Tampa Bay beats Florida, Carolina loses to Atlanta

1. Tampa Bay (61 games played, 34-23-3, 71 pts)

2. Atlanta (62 games played, 31-22-9, 71 pts)

3. Carolina (62 games played, 30-25-7, 69 pts)

^ VERY bad. Better not happen.

There you have it. No overtime please.

I have a friend who is a Tampa fan. I was picking on him earlier in the season about Tampa losing alot. :Oops: OOPS.. he told me to wait until after Christmas, they would start doing alot better....boy, I guess he was right. Hopefully we can ruin their tradition!!