The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

NBC drops Mar. 4 Canes-ATL game

Why do you think they cancelled the Hurricanes game, instead of inserting an additional Pens broadcast on some other Sunday? It's because they think and they know they can get away with it. I say don't let them get away with it.

We should keep e-mailing NBC. They might not care if they only receive one or two or even a dozen e-mails. They need to see a significant rise in the volume of negative feedback e-mail for them to think twice about doing this in the future.

feedback@nbcsports.com

We could also try to coordinate some sort of effort with the Atlanta board too. The more numbers, the better.

I know this is really no big deal, but it is an injustice of sorts. Essentially, NBC promised to show the Hurricanes and Atlanta game, but have now broken their promise for no good reason. (It's not as if it's like last year when they cancelled a Blues vs. Blue Jackets game, since both the Canes and Thrashers are playoff potential teams.)

So write to them today. Write to them tomorrow. Write to them until they realize how wrong they were to underestimate the Caniac nation.

Ok so what's the big deal? People here lately have been coming out the woodwork about how poorly the Canes have been playing and how they have shown no effort. They are a bubble playoff team right now and Atlanta isn't playing well either lately.

So NBC has a business decision to make since they are trying to drive up overall regional/national ratings for that time slot. Do you go with the new, heavily-promoted face of NHL, Crosby, and a very exciting team or two teams who will have lesser national appeal? It's an easy decision from that standpoint. The Flyers aren't very good, and even less so with Forsberg gone, but the attraction of watching Crosby and company is still there for many viewers.

But for some people to talk about how unwatchable the Canes have been and then complain that they can't watch them makes little sense. The league is pushing its young players and not many complained when Staal got in the All-Star game for that very reason. He didn't deserve to go but where possible the league, and its broadcast partners, will showcase their young faces.

And don't forget philly has more fans with a horrible team than we have with a cup winning team. It's all a numbers game with them. And they really should be promoting crosby like they are starting to for this week's Crosby/AO matchup. Have they been advertising on actual TV or just hockey sites?

I understand the need for promoting the new faces and newsmakers, but if look at NBC's schedule, they have PLENTY of opportunity to promote Crosby and the Pens and even the Flyers. Count the number of Pens games. It's not as if this was their one opportunity and they needed to have it. If the NHL and NBC want more viewers for hockey, it needs to show that there are teams in cities other than Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and there are players other than Crosby.

If we Canes fans ourselves are already willing to concede that the Canes don't deserve to be on national tv, then there's not much hope, now, is there? I guess some of us finally started to believe what everyone else has been saying about us. Shame.

Everyone must remember that the league as a whole is very important. While we are in the middle of a division race and on the edge of missing the playoffs, NBC is going to do what it takes to get the best ratings. Unfortunately that means the red-hot Penguins and that Crosby guy. Even if it's against the lowly Flyers. While the ratings stink no matter who plays, it offers the best chance for NBC. Let's hope for FSN to pick it up. Is it scheduled for the NHL package on cable/satellite?

So why did they scedule the Canes-Thrashers game in the first place? They couldn't have scrrpted the division race any closer way back when they made the schedule. Now, here we are in a tight race and they opt for "pretty boy". They could have decided that before the season started. What morons!

Maybe they expected our marketable guys, cam and staal, to be having great years and drawing attention. Don't know who wouldn't want to watch the thrashers now though but that's just my opinion.

The problem with the few nhl fans we have is that they generally watch/follow only their own team which means if their market is small they are sol no matter how good the team is. I think we all know this. They really didn't want to schedule us, or anyone besides the wings, rangers, flyers, aves, and now pens, because these are the key US fanbases. They were just forced to because it would look silly not to have the cup champs on national TV all year.

In the next few years when LA, Chicago, Detroit, and the Rangers are all in the playoffs and competing, I think that is when we get our coveted tv deal back.

I understand the need for promoting the new faces and newsmakers, but if look at NBC's schedule, they have PLENTY of opportunity to promote Crosby and the Pens and even the Flyers. Count the number of Pens games. It's not as if this was their one opportunity and they needed to have it. If the NHL and NBC want more viewers for hockey, it needs to show that there are teams in cities other than Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and there are players other than Crosby.

If we Canes fans ourselves are already willing to concede that the Canes don't deserve to be on national tv, then there's not much hope, now, is there? I guess some of us finally started to believe what everyone else has been saying about us. Shame.

The Canes-Thrashers game was one of the 3 regional games that day. The Pens-Flyers game was already on the schedule (as was Wings-Avs) but not for this region. NBC decided to go with the match-up they thought was a bigger drawing card.

Other than here, Atlanta and Tampa who really cares about a divisional match-up for the SE? NBC thinks they can pull in more eyeballs with Crosby and that's probably right. I don't view it as an insult or slap in the face to the Canes. Naturally as the Cup champs they should have had a national game earlier in the year but NBC's coverage picks up later in the year. It's not a major issue especially when you consider there will be Canes game on NBC, vs. NYR, the very next week.

What's missing from this insightful discussion is the wisdom of Niclas Wallin:

Defenseman Niclas Wallin offered a blunter endorsement of NBC's decision.

"Drop the old farts, and get the new guys in. That's what I would do," Wallin said.

(Lord Stanley's Blog)

What's missing from this insightful discussion is the wisdom of Niclas Wallin:
Defenseman Niclas Wallin offered a blunter endorsement of NBC's decision.

"Drop the old farts, and get the new guys in. That's what I would do," Wallin said.

(Lord Stanley's Blog)

Thanks Carolinax2...I also like Cole's tounge-in-cheek comment:
"Pittsburgh and who?" Carolina wing Erik Cole said. "Obviously it's a good rivalry and both teams are having really good years, so why wouldn't they want to do that?"

Cole left it for us to read between the lines and note Philadelphia's league-worst record.

Just get centre ice.(problem solved)couldnt live with out it

DUR! Not everyone can afford it.

Gah! Calm down chico. lol

I love Cole and Nic's comments from that article. "Pittsburgh and who?" LMAO

It's not a major issue especially when you consider there will be Canes game on NBC, vs. NYR, the very next week.

At this rate, there's nothing stopping NBC from simply cancelling that game coverage also and just going with a nationwide broadcast of the Bruins and Red Wings game. I really wouldn't be surprised if they did do that. (The only thing stopping them is that it's the Rangers.) And next year there could be no Canes games on NBC or Versus.

If we just grin and bear it and appease, this really could happen. We as Canes fans have to say "No!" and express the sentiment that we deserved to be showcased. "The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!"

feedback@nbcsports.com

8)

Flanker.......

Would you stay home on a Saturday night to watch an Anaheim VS Edmonton game? If not, then that's your answer as to why the Hurricanes get very little national coverage.

yeah I know CI costs $160, but if you look at what you get, and your a hardcore hockey fan then its very worth it. Its a great bang for the bucks kinda deal, and look how long it runs, its not really that expensive when you break it down.

This is only my second season with CI, and now I can't see going without it as a possibility.

Flanker.......

Would you stay home on a Saturday night to watch an Anaheim VS Edmonton game? If not, then that's your answer as to why the Hurricanes get very little national coverage.

If there was no Hurricanes game on at the same time and if the game was actually being broadcast on a channel other than Versus, then yeah. Of course. Why wouldn't I?

It's actually kind of funny, as I think the Canes get way more screentime on TSN and CBC than any American media.

I sent this e-mail to NBC...

To whom it may concern,

I was going to watch your broadcast on March 4th.

I was going to watch your broadcast of two teams battling for a division lead with one another, two teams with top-tier offensive talent, big names like Marian Hossa, Ilya Kovalchuk, Erik Cole, Eric Staal, and Ray Whitney, and great young goalkeepers Kari Lehtonen and Cam Ward.

I was going to watch your broadcast of a great game that promises to be huge because it means so much to both teams, a game where four points are at stake, a game where there would doubtlessly be massive hits, amazing saves, beautiful goals, big fights, and absolute fun.

I'm not going to watch anything on NBC on March 4th.

I'm not going to watch anything on NBC on March 4th because you decided to change your national broadcast from a great matchup of two teams that don't get nearly enough face time to show a game featuring a team that I am sick of seeing, and another team that, quite frankly, doesn't deserve to be in the NHL.

I'm not going to watch anything on NBC on March 4th because the game you are showing will be predictable and pointless. It's not like the game you originally had, where both teams had so much to gain or lose. This game features one team that is a lock to make the postseason and one that is a lock to be the worst in the NHL. No one on the ice will care, because it doesn't matter, and the gameplay will reflect that.

I'm not going to watch anything on NBC on March 4th because you made the decision to once again hide the NHLs best offensive talent for more time with Sidney Crosby. No one outside of Pittsburgh wants to see Crosby for the fifteenth time this year. I certainly don't. I want to see a good game, and I won't be, because you made a boneheaded decision to show an inferior game.

I'm not going to watch anything on NBC on March 4th, and I won't be the only one who won't be. Isn't it great knowing that your plan to draw more viewers will actually cost you?

Sincerely,

Gipper

(Obviously, I used my real name in the e-mail)

The Flyers DO deserve to be in the NHL! Just because they are having a crappy year doesn't mean they don't belong there! Did you ever hear about rebuilding? I remember when Justin Williams was traded to Carolina in 2004, I felt so bad for him because he went from a first place team to a last place team that didn't make the playoffs. But in a few years Carolina got better and won the Stanley Cup. I will admit I am a Flyer and a Carolina fan. I live in Pa. and have been a Flyer fan forever! But I've grown to love the Canes too. I am typing this post as I listen to the Canes- montreal game online. I would love to see the Canes on National TV, I don't see them enough. Versus never shows their games. I am going to the March 28 game in philly because I need my JWillie fix for this year. I also went to the March 8th game last year in Philly to see the Canes. Thanks for listening but realize there are all kinds of fans on this forum. FLYERS IN NHL SINCE 1967! I would also like to watch the Canes- Atlanta game instead of Cindy Crybaby!