The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
danni-ch1

question!

Welcome! To answer your question simply, there is no excuse at all. It's a real shame people do it.

You're absolutely correct, there's no excuse. Kovalchuk scored with about 3 minutes left, which is plenty of time to come back. Weren't these people here for Game 2 of the New Jersey series? Of course, we couldn't pull it out tonight, but how much time are you saving, five minutes?

The way I look at it, the 'Canes are my hockey team, I don't get a ton of opportunities to see them live, so I make the most of them. When the Thrashers beat us 9-0 last year, I stayed until the final horn sounded. I wish more people would bother to do the same when we're down by just one or two goals, especially if the effort is there, which it certainly was tonight.

With the amount of people that left after that third ATL goal, they should've stayed, 'cause they caused their own traffic jam trying to all leave at once (even though that's what they claim they're trying to avoid by leaving early), & the game wasn't even over yet. But, such is life, you know? I never leave early, but I can't control what others do, so....

Welcome! To answer your question simply, there is no excuse at all. It's a real shame people do it.

No offense, but there is no excuse at all for our team to play so soft and without desire in the last minutes of a game.

I love the Canes, but I left when the third goal went in because I was frustrated. Frustrated with the mistakes they made, lack of effort on some of the players part, and our inability to have any bounce go our way.

It wasn't so much condemnation of our team; rather it was a need to get out of there and away from a situation that bothers me to no end.....as it has most of this up and down season.

The players don't necessarily deserve the utmost respect when it seems like effort and heart are lacking.

You're absolutely correct, there's no excuse. Kovalchuk scored with about 3 minutes left, which is plenty of time to come back. Weren't these people here for Game 2 of the New Jersey series? Of course, we couldn't pull it out tonight, but how much time are you saving, five minutes?
There were a large number of people who left right after NJ scored with 20 seconds left and I recall Hedican sounding really ticked off when he was asked about it.

Does anyone here think it's a coincidence that we've sucked at home lately but played great on the road? Empty seats, people leaving early, dead silence....all these things have effects on the players.

It's not only leaving when the other team scores with a few minutes left..it's leaving when we're ahead with a few minutes left or leaving when the GAME IS TIED or GOING TO OVERTIME/SHOOTOUT. What a complete joke.

The one time I leave early, someone makes me feel bad :wink: I left after the third goal was scored because I was tired. Not just sleepy kind of tired, but tired of coming to losing games. I've been to five games and they have only won one(that game was awsome though!), not that I don't have fun we we're losing. The first game I went to was a buffalo game and that was one of the funnest games that I've gone to even though we lost. My point is, I, too, was frustrated, because we were doing great in the first period and then it went downhill after that. I feel bad about it now though. If it makes you feel better, I promise to stay until the final horn blows. :D

Yeah, people left last night we 6 MINUTES left. Apparently people don't realize how much can happen in 6 minutes. I know last night nothing good for us happened, but it could have. I am sick and tired of the area being empty by the time is 0.0 it is so ridiculous. When people do that, I can't even be mad at the team for losing because I am too mad with people who apparently think that leaving early will make 'em win next time.

I don't like it nor do I agree with it as I am a come early and leave late type of fan.

But really its thier money and thier time and if someone wants to leave early thats on them - its not Falwells church up in Liberty where they throw a bar across the door and don't let you leave till its over.

I know 2 people who come to the game - one from Danville and the other from Wilson .... who will dart out with a few minutes to spare because they have long drives and work in the morning - not everybody lives 15-20 minutes away.

And these two guys who drive in from hours away are at more games - weekday and weekend - than they miss.

Now thats a fan - cut them some slack.

When Kovalchuk(sp) scored the go-ahead, it was like a dagger in the heart. But I knew there was plenty of time left and as alwasy I stayed put. That battled like heck with Cam pulled too.

I don't like it nor do I agree with it as I am a come early and leave late type of fan.

But really its thier money and thier time and if someone wants to leave early thats on them - its not Falwells church up in Liberty where they throw a bar across the door and don't let you leave till its over.

I know 2 people who come to the game - one from Danville and the other from Wilson .... who will dart out with a few minutes to spare because they have long drives and work in the morning - not everybody lives 15-20 minutes away.

And these two guys who drive in from hours away are at more games - weekday and weekend - than they miss.

Now thats a fan - cut them some slack.

Amen Motorcat. I was trying to think of a "nice" way to respond, but i couldnt, so you did it for me. :lol: If somebody wants to buy me a ticket ill gladly stay until they turn the lights off at the RBC, otherwise, when its my money, ill leave when i get ready. doesnt have a thing to do with "fairweather" fan or "hardcore, name my firstborn after Brindy" fan. Its the persons choice. I live close to Wilson, so i understand someone leaving a little early. doesnt make me a "fairweather fan". Makes me a person who wants to get back home from driving about an hour so i can get up on time the next morning to go to work to pay for the tickets to watch the canes play (if they decide to show up) and support them.

It's an individual choice and if people for whatever reason want to leave early it's not my concern nor do I presume to think they are a bad fan for doing so. I did have to laugh though when there was an exodus in the Panthers game when the Canes were down 3-0 after 2 periods and came back to win. Some people have legit reasons to take off but at least they came to the game as opposed to the fans who cry about home games not being on TV.

The same thing goes with cheering. Some fans think if they scream all night long it makes them a better fan than those who cheer at what they feel are the appropriate times. Again who cares?

I laughed when I read this one. I go to LU and on rare occasions I find myself at Jerry's church. I've gotten up to leave early many times when it begins to feel more like a fundraising campaign rather than church and no one stops me at the door.

But yeah, fans that leave like last night for the reason that they were disappointed in the team are pretty lame. Would you leave your child's school play if they screwed up their lines because you were disappointed in them? You stay and support your kid. A hockey game and school play are two different things, but the idea is the same. You stick around when things aren't going too well. Work and getting kids in the bed for school are good reasons for leaving early, but if you can, avoid joining the early exit to the parking lot, especially when there is reason to think your team can at least tie the game in the last few minutes.

i just want one good excuse as to why anyone thinks its ok to leave a game early just because the canes are losing.

I was there (STH) and I for one left. I have absolutely no guilt about leaving early. The teams effort in the third period was horrible. The goals Cam let in were attrocious. I don't leave early to beat the traffic or becuase they were losing. I leave when I'm disgusted with the play. Inconsistency has been this teams trademark all year. Call it what you want but it's how I feel.

Same here, the times i have left early are not for any other reason then disgust at the way the team played that night. when they put forth the effort i am usually the last guy out of the arena!!

I'm middle-of-the-road on this one. I have never left a game early, even the 9-0 shellacking we took at the hands of Atlanta last season.

My reasoning? I paid for the seats and I figure my odds of seeing something exciting or interesting in the last few minutes of the game (a fight, a strange play, an injury, a miraculous comeback, etc.) are greater than my odds of seeing something interesting or exciting waiting in the parking lot to leave. A few minutes earlier on the road doesn’t mean much.

On the other hand, if I’m watching at home, I usually have no problem switching the channel early in disgust (as I did last night). There’s no cost to do so and I figure my odds are greater of finding something more enjoyable or interesting on another channel or around the house than suffering through the game to the bitter end.

Sounds sort of strange, perhaps. Does anyone else follow this kind of weird protocol?

hey i'm new here but i read the forums often but i dont think i've seen this question answered and i'd really like to know something. (forgive me if someone has ranted about this before) i dont intend to be one of those people that only posts if they're pissed off and wants to cause trouble but tonight really got to me.

i dont get to go to games too often and when i do its usually nosebleed and i still love it! however i got the chance to go to the atlanta game with some friends and we had great seats (in the lower level where Cam is in net twice) i really enjoyed the game and the people we were sitting near and had fun until atlanta scored the winning goal and people started leaving... there were about 2 minutes left.

why do people leave??? is there anybody here that left early? cuz i'd love for someone to explain to me why people feel it is ok to disrespect players like that. i can't even imagine how Ward felt when he looked up into the stands and saw half the arena leaving. i've acted in plays and during one show we had 2 people walk out and it hurts! whether the team is playing at their best or their worst you shouldn't walk out on them. these are the guys that say they have the best and loudest fans in the NHL and yet some leave games early??? it makes no sense to me... you're almost wasting your money if you're not gonna stay the entire game.

i understand if you have kids and they need to get to bed or have to get home for whatever reason but 2 minutes arent gonna make much of a difference because you're still gonna wait 10 minutes in the parking lot.

i just want one good excuse as to why anyone thinks its ok to leave a game early just because the canes are losing.

You want to know why people leave, I will tell you why. When the team itself doesn't give a damn if they win then why should the fans stay and be subject to watching them turn in a very modest effort that is too little and too late.

It's entertainment. When it stops being entertaining, people leave. Every fanbase in every sport has people leaving early when the team is way ahead or way behind.

The players aren't children and understand the business they are in. If the fans are not entertained, they are not doing their job (which is, by the way, to play a GAME for money). Don't blame the fans.

I agree with Red Storm though... I paid for the tickets and I'm going to squeeze out every drop of hockey (even if it's a loss). You never know when you're going to see a really cool shot or play.

If you want to show your support by staying in your seat, good for you but some people don't. It's silly to think that makes you a better fan. Where does that road lead? Are people who have expensive tickets and stay in their seats better fans still? What if they are wearing some crazy outfit? Are people who don't paint their face just "fairweather fans?" Where does it end? Everyone supports the team in different ways. Some with $$$ and some with cheers. Chill out...

Oh and .... GO CANES!!!!

It's entertainment. When it stops being entertaining, people leave. Every fanbase in every sport has people leaving early when the team is way ahead or way behind.

The players aren't children and understand the business they are in. If the fans are not entertained, they are not doing their job (which is, by the way, to play a GAME for money). Don't blame the fans.

I agree with Red Storm though... I paid for the tickets and I'm going to squeeze out every drop of hockey (even if it's a loss). You never know when you're going to see a really cool shot or play.

If you want to show your support by staying in your seat, good for you but some people don't. It's silly to think that makes you a better fan. Where does that road lead? Are people who have expensive tickets and stay in their seats better fans still? What if they are wearing some crazy outfit? Are people who don't paint their face just "fairweather fans?" Where does it end? Everyone supports the team in different ways. Some with $$$ and some with cheers. Chill out...

Oh and .... GO CANES!!!!

Very well said! :D

why do people leave??? is there anybody here that left early? cuz i'd love for someone to explain to me why people feel it is ok to disrespect players like that.

I think the reasoning goes like this: "The team I like is losing, and there are only a few minutes left. I don't think they'll be able to come back, so I won't miss anything if I skip out early in order to beat the traffic."

why do people leave??? is there anybody here that left early? cuz i'd love for someone to explain to me why people feel it is ok to disrespect players like that.

I think the reasoning goes like this: "The team I like is losing, and there are only a few minutes left. I don't think they'll be able to come back, so I won't miss anything if I skip out early in order to beat the traffic."

But, when EVERYONE leaves early...doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of beating traffic. Last night 6 minutes left: about 15% leave...third trashers goal with 1 and a half minutes left: 3/4 of the people left there leave. The rest of us looking around going "Is there a fire? Cause there is time left on that clock" Plus, the traffic is MUCH better if you just like hang out 10 minutes after the game, then leave :mrgreen:

This is yet another circuitous discussion on a topic we've beaten to death. People are going to leave or stay for whatever personal reasons they have for doing so. For the players, like actors in a theater production, it is disheartening to see the audience get up and leave before the game/show is over, but these folks are going to do whatever it is they want to do.

I agree that just sitting and waiting for several minutes after the game has ended gives the lemmings some time to stream off the cliffface into oblivion, but then if EVERYONE stayed, then we'd still have a traffic issue.

It is what is is. When the game is exciting, people tend to stay so as not to miss 'something'. When it's not, there are always going to be people who believe that their parking issues outweigh the on-ice issues below them. Being a "fan" is entirely personal. There are no criteria for fandom except that in the dictionary, and 'fan' comes directly from 'fanatic' which would beg the question then, that the loonier and less connected with reality that a person is wrt their focus and devotion to their team, the more fanatic and <fanny?> they are. I would assert that most folks fall somewhere along a continuum, and do we really need to sling mud or arrows at one another for our spots along that line? Please no.