The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IRISHCANE

To the Frustrated Canes Fans, like me.

Ditto. Great post.

First, let's not bury this team yet. The Oilers snuck into the play-offs last year and almost pulled the upset. Second, while everyone has the right to express their frustrations, I think it's important to keep perspective. Given the way franchises operate and players chase the dollars, you won't see the dynasties of years gone by. There's too much movement and volatility in the marketplace, so you can't ride the wave forever. I want the 'Canes to win and be successful as much as the next Caniac, but this isn't the same team. The chemistry of the team changed during the off season, and as chemistry changes, so should expectations. Are we playing as well as we'd all like? No. But we're not in last place either. So, how panicked should we really be? And finally, IMO, there are two kinds of fans; those that are behind their team night in and night out, and then there's everyone else.

My hockey team is the Canes and I will support them whether they win or lose. I never have and will never boo them. I never have and never will leave the game early. When they lose, someone I know calls them "losers" and my reponse is "they are not losers in my book and never will be." There might be times when I am disapointed in them, but I will always support them.

My hockey team is the Canes and I will support them whether they win or lose. I never have and will never boo them. I never have and never will leave the game early. When they lose, someone I know calls them "losers" and my reponse is "they are not losers in my book and never will be." There might be times when I am disapointed in them, but I will always support them.

Your d@@@ right!

Good post Irish!

The way I look at it, a true hurricanes fan is supportive of them 100% even if they lose.

I will always back them even when they are not playing well

I don't equate booing a team as not supporting them. We cheer when they do well or try hard - so why can't we boo when their effort is lacking.

The players are professionals, and should feed off the cheering, and try to improve when booed.

I don't equate booing a team as not supporting them. We cheer when they do well or try hard - so why can't we boo when their effort is lacking.

The players are professionals, and should feed off the cheering, and try to improve when booed.

While I can understand where the logic would come from, and could even make sense of it you need to realize something and I will explain it from my point of view. I am a singer, when I am on stage I feed off of the audience's energy to get adrenaline going so I don't freak out from being nervous. If people start booing me because I mess something up or am not having a good night vocally, I don't say "Hey, I need to sing better" it is just going to make me feel worse and I will do worse. I am PRETTY sure that the same goes for any "performers" as everyone says that hockey players are. Not saying you have to cheer them when they do poorly, but don't think that you're booing them will make them do better is all. I really don't mean this in a mean way and if you all think that booing will help, then so be it..

Ditto. Great post.

First, let's not bury this team yet. The Oilers snuck into the play-offs last year and almost pulled the upset. Second, while everyone has the right to express their frustrations, I think it's important to keep perspective. Given the way franchises operate and players chase the dollars, you won't see the dynasties of years gone by. There's too much movement and volatility in the marketplace, so you can't ride the wave forever. I want the 'Canes to win and be successful as much as the next Caniac, but this isn't the same team. The chemistry of the team changed during the off season, and as chemistry changes, so should expectations. Are we playing as well as we'd all like? No. But we're not in last place either. So, how panicked should we really be? And finally, IMO, there are two kinds of fans; those that are behind their team night in and night out, and then there's everyone else.

critizing what is wrong is not being a bad fan. Its called being objective.

Sorry but you cant just give a pass on a lot of the crap that is happening.

I have loved this team since 1986 and will always. Just because we are pissed does not make us "not a true fan"

Sorry but you cant just humm along like all is right with the world. Too many mistakes have been made this year not to step up and construcively criticize them. JR got an A for last year from me and others but this year he gets at best a C. Changes are needed to inject some life into this lifeless club. I am also a Bruins fan and they won in Toronto withou their top two scorers becaue they are playing with heart and thier goalie gets the big save when needed. We need last years Ward (form the playoffs) who won some games by himself. Remember game 1 vs Edmonton, the saves on Horocoff. We need some of that to get back to being a playoff team and not an also ran and be labeled a "fluke" if we miss out on the playoffs. At least get in. Anything can happen.

We need to wake up on Thurs vs Philly. Huge game, must win.

Go Canes

Lave light a fire please. You were great last year. you are still a good coach you can do it :!:

Nothing wrong with fans letting the players know when they are sucking, it is part of being a true fan. Cheer when they play good and let them know when they coast!!

The players are professionals, and should feed off the cheering, and try to improve when booed

did I say anything about booing?

My own personal take on booing is that I do it rarely, and then only in cases of what I view is blatantly poor officiating or unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of an athlete.

I would never boo any athlete's performance. I was a four-year starter on a Division I team and a 2-year co-captain. I know the effort it took me, my teammates and our fellow athletes to combine school, work, and sports. We didn't take to the field/floor/pool/court/etc with the intention of sleeping our way through the day's practice or event. We were competitors and it was in our nature to enter every contest with the expection of victory. And yeah - there were spectacular days and spectacularly disappointing days. On the latter, it would seem as if the brain and body were disconnected and you just wanted to scream at how everything was NOT going right - but you're in the middle of what you're doing and there is no TIVO to rewind, do-over, etc. You just soldier on. And some days it definitely does NOT get better... gaaaaaaaaaah!

Part of being a successful athlete is being able to walk away from the day's event, analyze it, and move on. Part of THAT is being able to move on from each action as it occurs during competition so that some crapass move on one's part is left behind and does not discolor the rest of the day's effort. There is SO much psychological control in the physical contest... and yes, the audience plays an important role. Hence the importance of the Sixth Man in basketball, the Twelfth Man in football, etc. It's nice when the audience can feed a positive energy to the athletes.. and it works wonderfully in reverse as we witness at the Bell Center... the madder the Habs fans get at their own team, the more it energizes the visiting Canes! Like a reverse mojo... "hey, things are going majorly south for you poor sots, let us help you flush down our toilet, Hablings!" :twisted: (evil laughter)...There is no doubt that athletes feed off each others emotions, and those of their fans.

My own personal take on booing is that I do it rarely, and then only in cases of what I view is blatantly poor officiating or unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of an athlete.

I would never boo any athlete's performance. I was a four-year starter on a Division I team and a 2-year co-captain. I know the effort it took me, my teammates and our fellow athletes to combine school, work, and sports. We didn't take to the field/floor/pool/court/etc with the intention of sleeping our way through the day's practice or event. We were competitors and it was in our nature to enter every contest with the expection of victory. And yeah - there were spectacular days and spectacularly disappointing days. On the latter, it would seem as if the brain and body were disconnected and you just wanted to scream at how everything was NOT going right - but you're in the middle of what you're doing and there is no TIVO to rewind, do-over, etc. You just soldier on. And some days it definitely does NOT get better... gaaaaaaaaaah!

Part of being a successful athlete is being able to walk away from the day's event, analyze it, and move on. Part of THAT is being able to move on from each action as it occurs during competition so that some crapass move on one's part is left behind and does not discolor the rest of the day's effort. There is SO much psychological control in the physical contest... and yes, the audience plays an important role. Hence the importance of the Sixth Man in basketball, the Twelfth Man in football, etc. It's nice when the audience can feed a positive energy to the athletes.. and it works wonderfully in reverse as we witness at the Bell Center... the madder the Habs fans get at their own team, the more it energizes the visiting Canes! Like a reverse mojo... "hey, things are going majorly south for you poor sots, let us help you flush down our toilet, Hablings!" :twisted: (evil laughter)...There is no doubt that athletes feed off each others emotions, and those of their fans.

YUP! i totally agree; musicians, actors, performers of all sorts...

I've been a Canes fan since '01. Not a super long time, but I've been through some good years and some years where we recorded the fewest goals and points (i believe we did, I can't remember) for a season. Sometimes guys have ups and downs. But I still think you should be able to boo someone and let them know get back into the game. If I sucked while playing on stage, and somone boo'd, I'd know that I'm doing SOMETHING wrong. Same for our Canes. Maybe if some fans show they're not happy with the way things are going, maybe the fans and Lavi will light a fire under the bench. I know it would get me pretty motivated if my home arena wasn't showing me some love.

IRISH great post. You and I see things pretty much the same. You can't expect people who have never competed at a very high level of atheletics to understand your post. I also played division one sports and completely understands what you're saying.

Welcome to the Club, Kernersville. Anytime I get frustrated at some athlete's performance (being a Notre Dame fan, there is a lifetime of exciting references from which to draw), I turn the ol' spotlight inward, and ... oops! :shock: As Emily Letilla used to say on SNL: "Nevermind!"

Not that I don't ticked off and exasperated, but I picture myself actually having a lockerroom conversation. Would I be able to stand there and rant at someone for being a slacker? Most definitely not. I would die of shame before sinking that low or losing my mind that badly. That is the job of the coach and the captain(s). But hey - I would volunteer as a motivational therapist in a heartbeat!

As always, GO CANES!

Good post. Myself and my two cohorts will be attending the game tommorow and once again going to attempt to bring some spirit to the section we're in at least. My sign for tommorow is going to say "The F FACTOR, Flyers - Forsberg = Free Points."

hehe

GO CANES!

I still say if the players acknowledged the fans a bit....an arm raising, a slam into the glass after a goal (Per Staal last year) A grin and a fist pump (like Cole does sometimes) SOMETHING to let the fans know that the players appreciate them. I don't expect a bow, or a high-five from a player. But pointing to the crowd anywhere, or JUST yelling in the direction of the fans, would help immensely.

Thursday night is a great chance to feel that confidence against a weak Philadelphia team. Whoop em and build on it!

I save the boos for the refs......

But I take exception to the leaving early or the boos, but not necessarily for the players (Irish is right in his post about the negative impact). What I want to express is my displeasure in investing time and money and see the management NOT support the team with the needs to win. There is no other way for the fans to get to the management.....the pocketbook ALWAYS works. When the number of STHs goes down this year, and it will because of the lackluster season (God help us if we miss the playoffs), the boos will be meaningless.

Many of you will remember the two seasons following the previous SCC run. It was miserable to watch that happen to our team. ONLY then did JR get smarter about trades and start building a team to win. They spent the money to get the players that built the team that brought winning ways again and eventually the Cup.

This year they tasted the money success again, and are raking off the proceeds instead of building for our future.

When the fans boo and leave early, JR understands or should understand the disgust of the fans. Those boos, early outs, and empty seats are the ONLY thing that management understands. If we fail to show our disfavor we are allowing that to continue.

I am a brand new fan to hockey. Last year when the playoffs began, as my husband and son were watching, I was hooked, completely, on Carolina. They played with such heart, and Cam looked like superman out there. I still don't understand the game 100%, but I do agree that they aren't looking so good this year. I don't know if they played any differently during regular season than in the playoffs last year, but if this season is any indication of how they are going to play, (if they make the playoffs)well, it doesn't look too good. Seems like we lost too many key players after the cup. Matt Cullen, Doug Weight, Aaron Ward, Mark Recchi. I know that changes the dynamics, but still, it's the same game, right? And Cam hasn't been consistent at all this year, but I guess he's still young. Maybe some of the players should take a page from Whitney's book, he seems to be on fire this season.

I HATE when they lose, but I'm 100% behind them. I wouldn't boo them nor would I leave a game early, because I just love 'em so darn much. But if other people feel the need to, so be it. Everyone has their own way of dealing with their team struggling.

My husband, being a Flyer's fan (boo), understands my frustation, and the need to revamp a team. Maybe the Canes need to do some revamping themselves.

Thanks to Irish for the post, and for letting a "newbie" put in her two cents worth! :D