The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

If you could give coach Lavs any advice about the team,what would it be?

Just from a fans point of view. How would you make the Team play better?

For starters I would bench Staal for a game. I would reward the players that do try when they are out there.

I would not put Vasciek and Tanabe or Hedican on the power play.

If they are going to use Staal on the power play, they need to move him from the point. He cannot keep the puck in and he has no desire to go after it when it leaves the zone.

I would probably let Ladd, LaRose and Adams play more then he currently lets them. Same thing for Trevor Letowksi. He trys hard and he hustles when he is out there, something that cannot be said for Staal.

I would not pair Hedican and Tanabe together on defense. For the most part Tanabe, though I hate to say it, has been the best defenseman on the team.

I would also tell the team that hockey is a physical game and I would like to see them use their bodies when they are out there.

Every check or hit most of the team throws, you can tell they just don't put what they could into it.

Also, ask yourself when was the last time Ray Whitney hit anyone.

I love how you seem to have no concept of player types. You know why Whitney rarely hits someone? Because he's a goal scorer and a playmaker. He's the one who players give the puck to AFTER they check another guy off the puck.

Play in frount of the net - not behind it.....and lets crash it more often. i

I can't even count how many times this year I have seen 3 Hurricanes behind the net at one time.

Here's one...

Teach Vasiceck how to play in front of the net. Regardless of his skill level, it doesnt take much effort to stand in front of the opposing team's goalie. That big body can at least provide a decent screen for shots from the point.

On the surface, here are my observations.- All of this would have to be done in the offseason.

Offense - Keep the core together (Staal, Brindy, Cole, Whitney, Walker). All the other guys are subject to be traded. I think they could be good role players but if a better forward is available, I say take em. Someone who is hungry and can fit into Lavi's style. One are we need to improve on during the offseason with our offense is more physical players. I realize this is the new NHL but what we lack is a physical presence with our checking AND we hardly eve have guys who want to get in front of the net.

Defense - We need a major overhaul. It's time to get rid of the older guys (Hedican, Wesley) and bring in middle age guys with experience and grit. They also need to be great skaters. I have noticed our D does not jump in the play nearly like they did last year and that has reduced our opportunities to score.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are other things that need to be fixed but these are what I can think of.

I love how you seem to have no concept of player types. You know why Whitney rarely hits someone? Because he's a goal scorer and a playmaker. He's the one who players give the puck to AFTER they check another guy off the puck.

I agree with you Whitney is far from the problem on this team

Can I play on the team?

Seriously, I was going to ask him that if I had won that coffee thing. Oh well.

My advice would be to have the guys play a scrimmage with their sticks inverted. Espo did this (I think with the Rangers) and it got them to enjoy the game again. Sounds silly but who knows. Could be good this late into the season.

My advice?

...To stop playing like a wounded gazelle on the Serengeti just waiting for a lion to come finish us off as we scream and wither in pain....

Just my two cents...

I'm such a hockey geek now, I was like "who is Serengeti"? Does he play for Atlanta. Jeesh....

My advice to Lavi: It's okay if you don't go to SCC this year, it's not the end of the world. Worry about getting our guys back healthy and revving up for next season. I agree with the benching Staal for a game. If he thinks that we are going to put him in every game then he doesn't have much of a point to actually try and do something. He needs to earn it like the rest of the guys

PS: Whitney checked at least twice in front of us last night. He may be little, but he can hit hard when he tries.

Let me tell you there are many playmakers that use their body in checking and hitting people, does Sidney Crosby ring a bell to you? What about Alex Ovechkin? Also, sometimes playmakers must use their body in order to obtain the puck.

All of this talk about benching Staal is the stupidiest thing i've ever heard. I hear all this Staal bashing, but he is NOT the problem and he is NOT the reason why this team is sitting in 8th and about to find themselves looking in. Everybody wants to talk about how he doesn't give 100%, well to be honest which player has given 100% everynight besides Whitney, Adams, and LaRose? Cole has taken many games off, nights where Williams has taken off, crap even Brindy has taken a couple nights off. But I don't hear anything about them not giving 100% effort.

And we need goals so the ones saying play Adams and LaRose more than Staal, that's not gonna get us goals. Staal has a better chance at scoring then those 2. I love Adams and LaRose, but they are not your answer for scoring. When you need to win games, you play your star, Staal, not your 4th line grinders.

To get back on topic I'd tell Lavi to remove Vasichek from the PP. He has no business playing on there.

Let me tell you there are many playmakers that use their body in checking and hitting people, does Sidney Crosby ring a bell to you? What about Alex Ovechkin? Also, sometimes playmakers must use their body in order to obtain the puck.

Icefrog is right. It is not Whitney's role to be a hitter. The other guys on his line forecheck while his job is to create open ice.

My advice to Lavi would be not to listen to suggestions that make no sense. :wink:

1-I'd have him look at himself first to make sure he's not insisting on a system just because it used to work - and make sure he took a look at what makes other teams successful and how we could benefit from it.

2-Same as above in regards to special teams.

3-have him kick himself in the butt for letting last year's video analyst move on to Pittsburgh then fire the he has now or get him some help.

4-figure out a way to make the guys pissed and play with more attitude.

5-and while I'm at it, have him lift the no-fighting ban then put a chip on some player's shoulders and let them use their God-given intuition and fists to make a statement or to spark the team.

6-Cycling the puck has it's advantages but so does putting a big body in front of a goalie. It works quite nicely Avery and it might work for a guy like Ladd too. Besides, he just might keep one less D-man from chasing after Brindy, Whitney, Willie or Staal hanging out behind the goal or the corners.

7-Stop all those wimpy-*edit* wristers from the blue line that are not getting thru anyways. It might just keep somer D-men from rushing our points all the time, not to mention making them cringe or trying a breakaway with a sore foot, shin, knee or whatever.

8-Don't give Staal more than 18 minutes unless he has earned it.

9-Recall some players or seriously consider making a trade to put some character and skill on the team while some of your hurt players are recovering. If they haven't healed by the PO's, they are not going to be any good for you anyways.

10-Start early thinking about what to say to the media and fans when you don't make the playoffs.

Everybody wants to talk about how he doesn't give 100%, well to be honest which player has given 100% everynight besides Whitney, Adams, and LaRose? Cole has taken many games off, nights where Williams has taken off, crap even Brindy has taken a couple nights off. But I don't hear anything about them not giving 100% effort.

The ONLY player who hasn't taken a night off is Rosie. Everyone, including Adams and Whitney, has. In fairness to Whitney, in fairness to Brind'Amour, in fairness to Williams, they've been playing while hurt. As has Cole. I don't think Cole will ever be what he was before his injury, so I'm more than willing to cut him some slack.

Staal appears to be healthy, and people expect more from him because of what he did last year. They expect more from him because he got that nice big contract. They expect more from him because increasingly, he is becoming the face of the organization. They expect him to set the tone.

But they've kind of had their heads in the sand and not noted the points he's been racking up lately. Staal is not the problem, Cole, Whitney, Williams, Brind'Amour, Stillman, even Vasicek, they are not the problem.

Last season, ALL FOUR of our lines contributed. It wasn't just the top six guys who scored, all four lines and the defense contributed. This season, that hasn't happened, so if for instance Whitney, Williams, and Brind'Amour are simply not 100%, the team is pretty much screwed because no one steps up to pick up the slack.

I don't care who you are, what you're paid, what line you play on, what defensive pairing you are, if those top guys can't carry you, you need to get it done. You can't rely on just six players to score all the goals and carry your team. You need to MAKE AN EFFORT in front of the goalie. He'll make the saves that he can, it's your job to make sure that he doesn't have to take the shots he shouldn't have to. That means go into the corners and get the puck. That means clear the puck with authority, no more of this lazy chip the puck over the line crap.

If I could give Lavs any advice, it'd be to start cracking the whip on our D for hanging our goalies out to dry, and start cracking the whip on the other six forwards as well.

Go, Ellie! What she said! :evil:

I would also like to tell Lavi that the farm stores sell electric cattle prods...

'No commee back to thee benchee if thee has not played FULL-OUT, KICKARSE HOCKEY WHILE OUT ON THE ICE!' ..Otherwise... zzzzzt! zzzzt!

(sizzle)

The ONLY player who hasn't taken a night off is Rosie. Everyone, including Adams and Whitney, has. In fairness to Whitney, in fairness to Brind'Amour, in fairness to Williams, they've been playing while hurt. As has Cole. I don't think Cole will ever be what he was before his injury, so I'm more than willing to cut him some slack.

Staal appears to be healthy, and people expect more from him because of what he did last year. They expect more from him because he got that nice big contract. They expect more from him because increasingly, he is becoming the face of the organization. They expect him to set the tone.

But they've kind of had their heads in the sand and not noted the points he's been racking up lately. Staal is not the problem, Cole, Whitney, Williams, Brind'Amour, Stillman, even Vasicek, they are not the problem.

Last season, ALL FOUR of our lines contributed. It wasn't just the top six guys who scored, all four lines and the defense contributed. This season, that hasn't happened, so if for instance Whitney, Williams, and Brind'Amour are simply not 100%, the team is pretty much screwed because no one steps up to pick up the slack.

I don't care who you are, what you're paid, what line you play on, what defensive pairing you are, if those top guys can't carry you, you need to get it done. You can't rely on just six players to score all the goals and carry your team. You need to MAKE AN EFFORT in front of the goalie. He'll make the saves that he can, it's your job to make sure that he doesn't have to take the shots he shouldn't have to. That means go into the corners and get the puck. That means clear the puck with authority, no more of this lazy chip the puck over the line crap.

If I could give Lavs any advice, it'd be to start cracking the whip on our D for hanging our goalies out to dry, and start cracking the whip on the other six forwards as well.

HERE HERE! I AGREE! WELL SAID!

Here's one...

Teach Vasiceck how to play in front of the net. Regardless of his skill level, it doesnt take much effort to stand in front of the opposing team's goalie. That big body can at least provide a decent screen for shots from the point.

great point, It does not take a rocket scientist to stand in front of the net. Vasichek is big :thumbup:

Have your players play decent hockey. Preferably exciting hockey, but at least be competitive. Tired of hearing back to the basics and not seeing basic ability out on the ice. Maybe let the players play? Encourage creativity and puck movement. Put people in front of the net and/or scoring position. Play babchuk. Ok enough specific advice. Just win games.