The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

If you could give coach Lavs any advice about the team,what would it be?

Go, Ellie! What she said! :evil:

I would also like to tell Lavi that the farm stores sell electric cattle prods...

'No commee back to thee benchee if thee has not played FULL-OUT, KICKARSE HOCKEY WHILE OUT ON THE ICE!' ..Otherwise... zzzzzt! zzzzt!

(sizzle)

That hurts like hell, I find that less than amusing, but oh well.

You can get 'em here: www.mytscstore.com (yeah, I work for TSC in PA.)

My only advise would be to get someone, anyone, to skate down and post themselves in front of the net. Do not go up the slot, dont go to the half boards, just post out front. Every team in the NHL seems to get a lot of one timers, redirections, screen goals, and deflection-rebound goals. I see so many passes where players on the Canes pass the puck out front from the corner or from behind the net and no one is there. Take big Joe, place him right down in front and tell him not to move until the puck goes out of the zone. We never seem to get the "garbage goal" this year. No one to clean up. This will lead to goalie frustration and will keep a defensemen with him so it will free up the pass lanes and help out with keeping the puck in the zone.

Id say take Whiteny off the powerplay. He does more harm than good as in last night with a 5-3. He simply passes the puck too much on the powerplay. Passing doesn't result in goals, shots do. Put someone out there who is willing to shoot.

Also, take Staal of the point and put him down low where he is more effective.

I love how you seem to have no concept of player types. You know why Whitney rarely hits someone? Because he's a goal scorer and a playmaker. He's the one who players give the puck to AFTER they check another guy off the puck.

Frog That doesnt hold water... Crosby, AO, Recchi, Thorton, Jarome Iginla,Cheecho, et al are all top line goal scorers and playmakers who are very physical players when the need arises. Some of the guys are for forwards one of the most physical guys on their respective teams. There is plenty of room to be both... I would like to see Wizzard showing a little more leading by example of laying the body on someone or digging for a puck. I like him but part of being a Great player is filling in gaps your team needs periodically.

I put Recchi in that group because it was my post and I like him :mrgreen:

I don't know what sport you're watching if you think Crosby is physical.

As for the rest of those guys, they're all above 6' and 200 pounds. Whitney is neither. That's a huge difference.

Advice for Lavi? Hmmm...

First, PLAY TWELVE FORWARDS. It's no good playing eight defensemen.

Second, do breakaway drills, tons of them. Wardo can stop any shot, just so long as he can't see it...and that's a big problem. We also suck at shootouts.

Third, make them pay for a lack of effort. If they don't work during the game, bring out the ol' Herb Brooks and make 'em skate until they puke and then make 'em skate some more. After a few of those, they won't play at 50% speed anymore.

I don't know what sport you're watching if you think Crosby is physical.

As for the rest of those guys, they're all above 6' and 200 pounds. Whitney is neither. That's a huge difference.

Advice for Lavi? Hmmm...

First, PLAY TWELVE FORWARDS. It's no good playing eight defensemen.

Second, do breakaway drills, tons of them. Wardo can stop any shot, just so long as he can't see it...and that's a big problem. We also suck at shootouts.

Third, make them pay for a lack of effort. If they don't work during the game, bring out the ol' Herb Brooks and make 'em skate until they puke and then make 'em skate some more. After a few of those, they won't play at 50% speed anymore.

Id say take Whiteny off the powerplay. He does more harm than good as in last night with a 5-3. He simply passes the puck too much on the powerplay. Passing doesn't result in goals, shots do. Put someone out there who is willing to shoot.
:roll:

Passes result in goals by setting up prime scoring chances. Whitney is tied for 9th in the league in powerplay assists (22).

Would you also like to take Kaberle off the powerplay as well? I mean, he only had one powerplay goal last season. He must be completely worthless.

:roll:

My advice to coach Lavi is to never read this board or allow any of his players to read this board. Honestly I'm scared if the coach does read this board he might pack his stuff up in head up north. He would probally think he's dealing with a very large population of retarded people. I've never heard such stupid responses in my life. Hustle, Hustle, Hustle, Hit, Hit, Hit, Hit, fight, fight, fight. Sit your star player who was the best player on the ice for two periods. Tell your leading scorer (Whitney) to hit more. Take your leading scorers off the power play. Play Larose, Adams, Letouski who can't score with a open net(this really happend to Larose last night) Put Larose, Letouski, Adams, Commodore, and bring up Bolerice and put them on the powerplay. Make sure that Cam Ward can protect a shot coming from the worst angle on the ice and make sure he cover the 2 inches between the post and his skate. He should also teach Staal a lesson and trade him for Kevyn Adams because Adams always played hard. Honestly how crazy are these comments it's worst then listening to the aftermath last night.

My biggest advice to Coach Lavi is to go get some healing cream to keep his star players healthy. Then we can have our fans jump back on the bandwaggon and talk about how great all of our players are again.

Lets start by looking in the mirror. Where were all you Caniacs last night when we could've possibly been playing for first place. Where has the home ice advantage been all year. 50% of the fans this year are spending more time knocking the players verses chearing for the players and giving them energy. We as fans can't do but one thing to help the team and that is making the RBC the loudest most energetic building in the NHL. We can't say a word when last night we filled up the building about 60%. IF YOUR GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE EFFORT OF THE PLAYERS THEN WHEN YOU SEE FANS LEAVING THE ARENA WHEN WE'RE DOWN 1 GOAL WITH OVER 2 MINUTES LEFT TELL THEM TO SIT DOWN AND BE A REAL FAN.

I don't want to hear a word about it being a school night or a weekday because I drove 1:45 minutes each way from winston-salem for the games and I'm not leaving until the final horn.

1) get Bret Hedican off the ice... after all he laid out there last year, off season surgeries, playing in pain this year (it shows every game that the guy's hurtin') give hime some time off!! (as a sign of respect, NOT to be critical)

2) bring up players that are proving themselves in the AHL, and have NHL experience... Where is Shane Willis? the guy is Albany's best scoring, best +/- winger and you bring up Bayda??!!

3)hindsight's 20/20, but we should have kept Isbister, Hulse, and Woolley... could have avoided a couple of trades on D, and had a BIG, tough, winger to back up Staal earlier in the season when his confidence got pounded away by the league's top D-men...

4)throw this year out, get a good draft pick, come back next year stronger for facing the adversity...

5) this team shows the lack of "team building" stuff due to the short off season. Do that again over the summer!

My advice: Have fun out there and play confident and cocky(Like you own the cup, oh yeah, YOU DO). It would be GREAT if the players acknowledged the fans a bit too. I haven't noticed a lot of player appreciation towards the fans. I think that kind of stuff would boost crowd participation and excitement a TON!

If just ONE player raised his arms for the crowd to raise the noise, I think they'd be amazed the reaction they'd get.

Fun, and electricity between players AND fans would trigger unbelievable results. (in my opinion...)

Lately some of us(including myself) like to become hockey experts and break down the team's weaknesses. I choose to go with simply....they have the talent, they have the cup, they have outstanding fans.....Use them all and things will fall into place.

2) bring up players that are proving themselves in the AHL, and have NHL experience... Where is Shane Willis? the guy is Albany's best scoring, best +/- winger and you bring up Bayda??!!
Willis is out for the next six weeks with a sports hernia.

Bayda is +8 vs Willis' +6, by the way, and has five fewer points in two less games played. Not a big difference. They both are AHLers, only Bayda is four years younger.

3)hindsight's 20/20, but we should have kept Isbister, Hulse, and Woolley... could have avoided a couple of trades on D, and had a BIG, tough, winger to back up Staal earlier in the season when his confidence got pounded away by the league's top D-men...
Hulse and Woolley were deemed not to be good enough in training camp, then the trade for Gleason was made. In fact, Woolley was still in training camp at the time of the trade and was cut right after. Both of them have not found work anywhere else.

Yes, hindsight is 20/20. Generally teams do not carry 11 defensemen in case six of them get injured...in fact they never do. Since neither of them have signed even so much as an AHL deal, it's unlikely that they would have accepted two-way deals in the first place...meaning there wouldn't have even a roster spot.

Isbister was traded because Albany had 9 veterans and AHL rules limit teams to playing 5 at a time. He was either going to be traded or head to Europe. We got a pretty decent prospect in Petruzalek in return.

Also, take Staal of the point and put him down low where he is more effective.

Are you one of those guys that yells shoot every time someone has the puck?

Playmakers are the most important part of every power play. Do you think nashville traded for forsberg to shoot the puck? No. Whitney racks up assists for us for a reason. For example the last goal we scored, when he passed it to brindy vs. atl.

Are you one of those guys that yells shoot every time someone has the puck?

I wonder if he was hit in the head with a puck if he seriously suggested taking Whitney off the PP. :lol:

I have to disagree. Taking the team's highest scorer off the power play makes no sense. Who would you replace him with? Whitney assisted on the only goal of the night and did so in highlight reel fashion. IMO, His pass resulted in a goal more than Brindy's shot did.

lol he is our best guy this year and has the stats to back it up, 70 pts already! Way to go Ray!

Yeah, he only leads the team in PP assists and is tied for the lead in PP points. I just don't know what he is bringing to the equation. :wink:

My point is that on the power play this team does pass too much when there is a perfectly good lane, especially on the 5 on 3. I know Whitney is a leading scorer and as a lot of powerplay assists, but in a game you must win and the passing has been off, it is better to shoot and get the ugly goal than trying to get the perfect goal. Also the goalie was giving up a lot of rebounds which the man in front (when hes there) can get and put in the back of the net. Its frustrating to see a 5-3 go to waste because someone wants to see a pretty goal when points are on the line. Its best to take the ugly goal and move up in the standings.

One more thing... put someone right in front of the net. Better yet, 2.

My point is that on the power play this team does pass too much when there is a perfectly good lane, especially on the 5 on 3. I know Whitney is a leading scorer and as a lot of powerplay assists, but in a game you must win and the passing has been off, it is better to shoot and get the ugly goal than trying to get the perfect goal. Also the goalie was giving up a lot of rebounds which the man in front (when hes there) can get and put in the back of the net. Its frustrating to see a 5-3 go to waste because someone wants to see a pretty goal when points are on the line. Its best to take the ugly goal and move up in the standings.

Suggesting taking Whitney off the power though still makes no sense at all. Overall the Canes have had a very good conversion rate on 5-on-3's even though they didn't cash in against Atlanta.

You typically want to pass more on the 5-on-3 for a couple of reasons. The two-man advantage is rarely for a full 2 minutes which means a single clear eats up a good chunk of the first minor so you want to hold the puck in the zone and be patient. The idea is to slowly work your way down to below the circles so that if a shot gets blocked you have a good chance to outman the killers for the rebound.

Two, the kill becomes much more passive and tends to sag down low so you have to move the puck more to create shooting lanes than with an active kill.

I'm not saying you are advocating this but the thing that so many fans who scream SHOOT miss is that when you get impatient and have a point shot blocked you are vulnerable to the potential short hander the other way. The Canes have struggled on the point this year so a lot of teams have packed it in low so they can counterattack with a blocked shot.

You are right. Patience is the key to scoring. But the Canes powerplay has almost no power. This late in the season with the playoffs riding on every game it would be nice to see more desperation and more chaos in front of the net. The one thing that I love most about hockey is that anything can happen. Yes, if you just shoot your shots can be blocked. But, if they can be blocked can they not also be deflected?The Canes play last year caused havoc for the other teams because the Canes always played desperately. I would like to see that return.

Despite having a sucktastic powerplay overall, we are third in the league in 5-on-3 goals scored. http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=2...ewName=goalsFor

But yes, let's change up the whole strategy because it didn't work in the whopping 47 seconds of 5-on-3 time against Atlanta. First solution would be to take Whitney and Staal off the PP and replace them with Craig Adams and Mike Commodore. Then we would send Grahame out as a forward to screen to goalie (he's big, right?). Finally, we have Glen Wesley setting up the plays by the halfboards with Shane Willis (it doesn't matter if he's injured) looking for the cross-crease tap-in.

Am I getting this all down right?

I think I would put last year behind them forget about what they have done and focus in on the NOW. I think there is lot of spill over still from the Cup from last year. I t will be harder this year in the long run. When your on top everyone seems to work harder to knock you off the hill.