The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
NoGoodHockeyBum

Was that the last goal.......

Was that the last goal to be had by Wesley? I saw somebody retrieve it from the ref (Jwillie, I think). If any body has a pic or knows where to get one.....I'd like a copy. Wesley was my first favorite when the Canes came south and has stayed at the top of my list these many years. I know it's probably his last year of play.....I'll miss him. Only one thing could top that goal......a new banner in the loft when he retires.

Which game are you talking about, NGHB: last night, the final goal was acredited to Whitney, while the last goal on Thurs. (22 Feb.) was recorded by Glen.

Was that the last goal to be had by Wesley? I saw somebody retrieve it from the ref (Jwillie, I think). If any body has a pic or knows where to get one.....I'd like a copy. Wesley was my first favorite when the Canes came south and has stayed at the top of my list these many years. I know it's probably his last year of play.....I'll miss him. Only one thing could top that goal......a new banner in the loft when he retires.
Regarding Wesley's future, frankly I was surprised he came back this season. However, his level of defensive play has been solid (he leads the team in +/-). Not fast, but with his experience he seems to know where he needs to be to get his stick in or just make a body block on the puck without fear as he did last night. If he wants to re-sign, I think the Canes would be willing to do it based on his play to date.

My neighbors go to the same church as Glen and his family. They speak nothing but high remarks about him and his off-the-ice actions. We went with them to the church when he had the Cup there and I was lucky enough to get my pic with him and the Cup. :)

2 will be up there with 10, and it'll be the only number with 10 up there for a long time. Maybe we'll see 17 as well, but then after that, it'll be at least a decade before we see anything else (though I expect 26, then 12 and 30 to go up at that point in short order)

Regarding Wesley's future, frankly I was surprised he came back this season. However, his level of defensive play has been solid (he leads the team in +/-). Not fast, but with his experience he seems to know where he needs to be to get his stick in or just make a body block on the puck without fear as he did last night. If he wants to re-sign, I think the Canes would be willing to do it based on his play to date.

i heard with him being 38, that he was only going to play this season (the 1yr. contract) and then retire

i think he only played this season because they won the stanley cup

i heard with him being 43, that he was only going to play this season (the 1yr. contract) and then retire

He's 38, but that's what I figure, too.

2 will be up there with 10, and it'll be the only number with 10 up there for a long time. Maybe we'll see 17 as well, but then after that, it'll be at least a decade before we see anything else (though I expect 26, then 12 and 30 to go up at that point in short order)

I would guess 2 and 17, one on eitheir side of number 10

I was wondering the same thing. After he scored that goal, I said to my wife, "I wonder if he's going to look back on this night as being the night of his final NHL goal." If so, it was a good one.

I'd definitely like to see that number 2 hanging from the rafters one day, along with 17...but I hope it's many years before the Captain retires!

What stats mark a good defenseman? Is there a career plus/minus? Blocked shots? With the guys on offense, it's easy with assists and goals, but I think it's harder to tell for the d-men.

What stats mark a good defenseman? Is there a career plus/minus? Blocked shots? With the guys on offense, it's easy with assists and goals, but I think it's harder to tell for the d-men.

It kinda opens the question on what a player would have to bring in order to have his number retired. I don't think it is always about stats though. Major milestone accomplishments and Hall of Famers is one thing but what about a guy like Wesley? He has been a "franchise player" in his own right ever since he dawned the Whaler uniform. He is anything but a spectacular player yet he stuck with the organization even when the pucks fell thru the ice.

It kinda opens the question on what a player would have to bring in order to have his number retired. I don't think it is always about stats though. Major milestone accomplishments and Hall of Famers is one thing but what about a guy like Wesley? He has been a "franchise player" in his own right ever since he dawned the Whaler uniform. He is anything but a spectacular player yet he stuck with the organization even when the pucks fell thru the ice.
This subject seems to come up every few months for us and each time I change my opinion.

While his career has not qualified him for HOF status, his dedication to this franchise, and the fact that he is a class player on and off the ice should acccount for something. I'm not sure if his jersey will be raised to the rafters but I am sure that when the time comes, there will be an awesome retirement ceremony to celebrate his career, and that the #2 will most likely not be worn by any new Canes players in the future. Unless of course, his name is Josh Wesley :wink:.

This subject seems to come up every few months for us and each time I change my opinion.

While his career has not qualified him for HOF status, his dedication to this franchise, and the fact that he is a class player on and off the ice should acccount for something. I'm not sure if his jersey will be raised to the rafters but I am sure that when the time comes, there will be an awesome retirement ceremony to celebrate his career, and that the #2 will most likely not be worn by any new Canes players in the future. Unless of course, his name is Josh Wesley :wink:.

I must confess I was hoping he would retire on his well-deserved laurels at the beginning of this year, but I was way wrong. With the losses on defense he has absolutely saved us and he has had a great year in his own right. I'm actually hoping he comes back again.

I'm also of the opinion he should have his number retired one day.. no rush, nothing immediate, but still he deserves some kind of honor for conduct on and off the ice.

I pretty much knew I'd have no negatives about Wesley, and most of you confirm what I think is a well known career with this team and some way to celebrate his accomplishments BUTTTTTTT...........

Does anybody have a pic of that last goal??????