The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Remember the Whale!

Thanks for the post. I came down for games one and five of the finals last year and I met some great people. I wish they were still up here as the Whale but that is out of everyones control and I just want to say I feel you guys are a good group of fans and I really enjoy your part of the country and I looke forward to my next trip down. Also for anyone from Chapel Hill the Timeout is the best.

Great post RedStorm, this team has a lot of history. I think its great that some of the Whaler Fans are staying the course.

Great post RedStorm, this team has a lot of history. I think its great that some of the Whaler Fans are staying the course.

I almost kind of wish they'd let us play the Brass Bonanza before games like the Whalers did, but I understand that was their tradition and I guess ours is playing Rock you like a Hurricane (which I think is cool as crap). I downloaded NHL 95 on my computer as a sega genisis game and I'm always the Whalers and they play that song before they drop the opening puck, cool as crap.

ps the Whalers logo was by far one of the coolest logo's ever in the NHL kind of sucks that it's defunct now :?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sometimes I really do miss the Whale. But, I've got that Stanley Cup win to help ease the pain. Good memories, bad memories, happy to hear the NHL isn't trying to bury the past.

Aaryn

I didn't know they played the brass bonanza before game 2 of the finals; that's pretty special. I think they should save that song for special moments like that so that the franchise and its fans can remember its history forever.

I didn't know they played the brass bonanza before game 2 of the finals; that's pretty special. I think they should save that song for special moments like that so that the franchise and its fans can remember its history forever.
I didn't recall hearing the Brass Bonanza before Game 2 of the finals either. Although I do remember them playing it before Game 1 in the series with the Devils (which we won 6-0). We beat Edmonton 5-0 in Game 2 of the finals. So, that's 11 goals to 0 when the Brass Bonanza is played! :shock:

A very nice article at NHL.com about the Hartford Whalers and their great fans. Native Canes fans that don’t know much about the Whale should give it a read. I met quite a few Whaler/Cane fans that drove down from Connecticut during last year’s playoffs and finals. While it can’t be said of all Whaler fans -- and that’s understandable -- but for those I met I couldn’t help but be impressed by the passion and loyalty of these fans for a franchise that had essentially abandoned them. Caniacs should Remember the Whale!

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&p...rticleid=289459

this is great. I love the Whale and always will. Where my roots are

Here is a little small video some here might like. Appreciate the history of this team. It has been around since 1979 in the NHL and 1972 in the WHA :D