The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Tom-Baker

Staal does not hustle

when i started to read your post i was like wow so true he really didnt hustle then as i went on i saw that you said "let Eric find another home" im going to go with umm NO on that one...im not defending eric because he should be skaing his butt of just like craig (craigs been playing great lately and i love the guy for not giving up on any play great player to have) but for you to say get rid of him...him and cam are our franchise so that is just not gona happen maybe jr just needs to have a talk with him or demote him to the third line to send the message.

Why was it just Eric's fault on that play? Kaberle was the other guy manning the point and there were 3 other forwards out there. Why was it that Eric was the only one to skate down there, but yet, its his fault that the goal went in. I was POed at him last night as well, but after sleeping on it, it wasn't just his fault.

Why was it just Eric's fault on that play? Kaberle was the other guy manning the point and there were 3 other forwards out there. Why was it that Eric was the only one to skate down there, but yet, its his fault that the goal went in. I was POed at him last night as well, but after sleeping on it, it wasn't just his fault.

It is Eric's fault because he doesn't hustle but 50% of the time this season, this isn't the kid that had over a 100 points last season. and the name is Staal not Staal!! Eric needs to be benched for a few games, maybe watching from the press box will light a fire. I don't know if he can be sent to Albany without first clearing waivers. The boy needs a wakeup call.

I was on the other end of the arean, so....

How exactly did that puck get it? Off the back of Ward?

And yeah, I've felt all season that Staal is loafing. I wish it wasn't true.

deflected off his skate per the N&O, one he should have been watching for and had.

craig needs to take his spot on the walker ladd line...b.c craig skates 110% everysingle shift he takes. maybe staal can play with joe and teach eachother some stuff

it would be better to have Staal skate with Adams and LaRose, have those two whip his butt if he doesn't keep up or maybe attend Erik Cole's Skating for Dummies!!

Staal def needs to hustle and he should've gotten to that puck first-no question. 850 the Buzz said last night said he might be nursing a leg injury for awhile and that's why he's not skating fast. I noticed every time he gets hit and falls down, he gets up slow and looks like a wounded puppy. He's also not making any good hits and he's a big guy. If he's hurt, he should get some rest. I hope he gets in the game soon, he's a great player! :D

Staal has glided too many times this season but that goal wasn't his fault. He skated cross ice to chase it down even though it was Kaberle's responsibility at the other point.

Keep in mind it was still a Canes PP meaning they had the man advantage so Staal's responsibility was to seal off Hossa so he couldn't cut back to the net and then wait for support from Kaberle.

Ward saw Staal had closed off Hossa and he waited for the puck to come around behind him. He left a gap on the short side and Hossa fired in a prayer of a shot. Blame Ward for the one pure and simple because he was napping.

No way. I say rest him if he's really injured and/or get him focused!!! :mrgreen: He's got skills, no question about that, I just think he's in a major funk. He's a major part of this team, but he needs to get his head in the game. If he's injured, it's a different story.

Staal is not a hustler. He typically expects the puck to be delievered to him -- translate he will not chase or get tough to dig it out. Watch him towards the end of a shift and he is usually the first guy off the ice. Watch Craig Adams or Chad LaRose or Rod Brind Amour and they are fighting for position on the ice always looking for the scoring opportunity. You almost can not get them to come off the ice.

But Staal is not the only slacker. This team reminds me of the last team before the lock out. You never knew who was going to show up and want to play on any given night. A team full of Jeff ONeil's.

I have been a season ticket holder since day one. I don't expect the Stanley Cup or even a deep playoff run every year. I do expect that players come out and give it their best EVERY game.

Did anyone notice (last night) that on Atlanta's first goal Eric Staal loafed and got beaten to the puck. He could have easily gotten to the puck first. This is just one of the many times that we have noticed Eric not going all out.

If Eric Staal hustled like Craig Adams, he would be the best player in hockey. JR needs to consider getting someone that wants to play all out hockey and let Eric find another home.

Tom Baker

I could not agree more. It was his fault that goal scored. You can see that he did not even try to get back to get the puck. In fact for most of this season he is totally burned out, it seems he partied too much after winning the Stanley Cup.

Laviolette also made the mistake with him last night, after he was the direct result of that goal scoring, he puts him right back out on the 5 on 3 power play. We needed someone out there that had the desire to want to score. Staal's performance this season has been less than spectacular.

It was his fault on that first goal because he was the player that did not keep the puck in the zone and he also did not hustle back to try and get the puck or play the man.

It is Eric's fault because he doesn't hustle but 50% of the time this season, this isn't the kid that had over a 100 points last season. and the name is Staal not Staal!! Eric needs to be benched for a few games, maybe watching from the press box will light a fire. I don't know if he can be sent to Albany without first clearing waivers. The boy needs a wakeup call.

I agree with you. He should be benched. As I said in my previous post to another comment about Staal, Laviolette rewarded him after that goal by letting him continue to stay out there and play on the 5 on 3.

I was on the other end of the arean, so....

How exactly did that puck get it? Off the back of Ward?

And yeah, I've felt all season that Staal is loafing. I wish it wasn't true.

The puck went in because Ward did not bother to react to the play. Plain and simple he let that one in because he was sleeping on the job. A puck should never get in on an experienced goal tender from that angle.

Staal def needs to hustle and he should've gotten to that puck first-no question. 850 the Buzz said last night said he might be nursing a leg injury for awhile and that's why he's not skating fast. I noticed every time he gets hit and falls down, he gets up slow and looks like a wounded puppy. He's also not making any good hits and he's a big guy. If he's hurt, he should get some rest. I hope he gets in the game soon, he's a great player! :D

The reason he is not playing well is quite simple he is not in the condition he was in last season. The last season was a long one and then they won the cup and all he did was party afterwards instead of conditioning his body for a rigorous schedule.

It was a fluke goal. There was no way Hossa thought that was going in. Apparently, neither did Staal or Ward.

It was a fluke goal that was caused by laziness on both Staal's part in not hustling back to retrieve the puck and Ward's part for being a spectator.

It was his fault on that first goal because he was the player that did not keep the puck in the zone and he also did not hustle back to try and get the puck or play the man.

Keep the puck in the zone, what were you watching? Hedberg did an aerial clear from behind his net over the right point. Staal was on the left point, so was he supposed to grow wings to keep it in?

Too many times Staal has gone half-speed this year but on that play he was the only one who gave chase and then sealed off Hossa in the corner. Blame Ward for that ultra-softy.

Keep the puck in the zone, what were you watching? Hedberg did an aerial clear from behind his net over the right point. Staal was on the left point, so was he supposed to grow wings to keep it in?

QFT

Did anyone notice (last night) that on Atlanta's first goal Eric Staal loafed and got beaten to the puck. He could have easily gotten to the puck first. This is just one of the many times that we have noticed Eric not going all out.

If Eric Staal hustled like Craig Adams, he would be the best player in hockey. JR needs to consider getting someone that wants to play all out hockey and let Eric find another home.

Tom Baker

Good points Tom. Though it makes me wonder why there weren't more great player critics playing hockey when I was young. I would have loved to have been in tow of young, skilled critics hustling their butts off just to get to the puck in the corner before me. Instead, they tended to time themselves and vied for position so that I wouldn't drive them through the glass or leave them as wheezing pretzels on the ice. I wonder why.

I didn't replay my tape yet but from what I remember yes, Staal was cautious, he could have gotten to the puck first but it looked like a contained one on one and with Hossa having no real chance to pass or to score while the lines were changing. I'm sure that Hossa was just as surprised as Staal, Cam and thousands of fans when he just slapped at the puck from a VERY low percentage angle and it went in. Maybe getting slammed by Hossa and losing the puck to him would have been a better option? Who knows. It was sheer luck, nothing more and chit happends all the time. Didn't Mr. goalie idol Brodeur give up a similar one against Brindy in game 3 last year?

From my vantage point, I don't think it was lack of hustle; rather it was a mis-communication between Ward and Staal.

Initially it looked like Ward was going to come out of the crease and play the puck before Hossa got to it, but then Ward decided to stay put. This caused Staal to hesitate for a split second, and he wasn't going to catch Hossa who by that time had a full head of steam. Either way the puck shouldn't have gone in but Murphy's Law appears to be at work this season.

A few minutes later, on a similar type play, Ward in fact did come out to play the puck and almost got burned again when he didn't clear it deep enough in the zone.

Just my two cents....

IMO, benching Staal would be flat out stupid. If you want to do that to "send a message," do it in October or November. You don't do that in the heat of a playoff race when you need all your best players, and like it or not he's one of our best players. Benching him would cutting off our nose to spite our face.