The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Tom-Baker

Staal does not hustle

Last year it looked like he was feeling out his abilities after the year in the AHL. He had a big body and was hitting a lot to "try it out," if you will. He does that less nw, perhaps because the team has gotten more aggressive overall with the additions of Walker and Gleason. But, it could be that this lack of hitting is the reason he looks "lazy." Also, he still has the same easy shot, which was going in a lot last year and not so often this year. Ten more goals and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

He certainly hustled tonight. Of course, that actually proves the original posted thought.. it was so obvious that Staal was committed to banging around and moving his feet tonight, it shows that those other games did have less effort.

I don't want to turn him into Chad LaRose.. but he might just have to play an uglier game for a bit as he remembers how much work this game requires.

Right behind you, Dee. I was mightily pleased by Staal's work on the ice tonite, and that's what I'd call it (finally): WORK. He really looked like he was out there to accomplish something tonite other than skate/skate. He was really putting himself on the line more than to just take the occasional shot. I was impressed by the 100% effort that he and the rest of the guys made every time they went over the boards onto the ice. Wow, was that SO nice to see tonite. I actually felt giddy just watching the game unfold. Who were those Men In Red? OURS !! whoooo-hoooo!

I wouldnt mind LaRose moving up a line to see how well the chemistry could be, but during a tight, close playoff race, I doubt Lavi would try it out.

Did anyone notice (last night) that on Atlanta's first goal Eric Staal loafed and got beaten to the puck. He could have easily gotten to the puck first. This is just one of the many times that we have noticed Eric not going all out.

If Eric Staal hustled like Craig Adams, he would be the best player in hockey. JR needs to consider getting someone that wants to play all out hockey and let Eric find another home.

Tom Baker

Mada Mada Dane

I have been critical of Erics hustle, but the last two games I have seen improvement. I hope he keeps it up. Being a total player is better than cherry picking trying to get an easy on.

Correction meant Eric, not to be confused with Cole

I have been critical of Eriks hustle, but the last two games I have seen improvement. I hope he keeps it up. Being a total player is better than cherry picking trying to get an easy on.

you're talking about eric staal right, not erik cole??

staal-

he has been improving

and his new line w// anson carter is pretty strong!

lets keep it up!