The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bconjack

Wins when they get the first goal

I thought I heard the other night that the Canes were perfect when they had the first goal this year. Before Atlanta beat them, was I hearing things??, my husband said I was.

That was when leading after 2 periods (until Tues night vs Atl.).

Their win % is now "only" 95% of the time :lol:

I thought I heard the other night that the Canes were perfect when they had the first goal this year. Before Atlanta beat them, was I hearing things??, my husband said I was.
That was when leading after 2 periods (until Tues night vs Atl.).

Their win % is now "only" 95% of the time :lol:

When the Hurricanes score first, they win 74.1% of the time which is currently 9th in the league. San Jose leads the league in that stat with 82.8%.

I think the win-when-leading-after-2 win streak reached back to pre-lockout days by the way.

noooo.... if that were the case, the Hurricanes would have gone for almost 2 years having never lost when leading after two periods... which would be an unbelievable stat... which just doesn't happen in the NHL. Hurricanes are 21 for 22 this season when leading after 2.

It's only for this season. To have that type of stat that nobody could come back from behind and beat you in the third period is incomprehensible.

To quote Mandy Patinkin: "You keep using that word... I don' think it means wha' you think it means."

I'm not sure where the streak actually began, but the Canes over the two years since the lockout are something like 54-1-2 when leading after two periods. The loss to Atlanta was the first regular season regulation loss since before the lockout.

Edit: From Droschak's Game recap(http://www.carolinahurricanes.com/gameday/...asp?recapid=407):

Carolina was 31-0-2 when leading entering the third period during last year's Stanley Cup winning season and 21-0 this year in that stat before a short-handed goal by Marian Hossa from the corner boards in the final period opened the flood gates for the slumping Thrashers, who had lost four in a row coming in to the RBC Center.

This really isn't as farfetched as it sounds. Even the '97-'98 team that missed the playoffs had a superb winning percentage when leading after 40 minutes. They were 21-1-1 when they took a lead into the third period.

And there's an interesting no-prize trivia question in that '97-'98 stat. The loss and the tie were against the same team. Anybody want to hazard a guess who that team was?

hey...I gotta question...what ever happened to the Canes being a 3rd period team??? Anyone else notice that?? I know they have won the past couple, so we can't base it on that...but in the recent games they have lost...they still look like crap in the 3rd.

Oh well.... that's the past...we need to keep up this 2 game winnig streak and make it a 20 game winnig streak!!!!!!

LETS GO CANES!!!! :D :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Yet another edit... sorta.

I went back through the box scores from 2003-04 and found that in THAT year the Canes were 24-0-2-1 when leading after two periods. Which means that this was the first regulation loss in a game we led after two since the Maurice Administration. Atlanta was the first team to beat a Laviolette-coached Hurricanes team that took a lead into second intermission.

Could that be the wakeup call? (I hope?)

I'm gonna keep digging until I find the last time we came out of a game we led after two without a point... It'd be interesting to know how rare that actually is. So far the count is 79-1-2-4 over the last 3 seasons.

As promised, I found the last time a Hurricanes team failed to get at least a point when leading after 2 periods. It happened twice during the abysmal 2002-03 season. That year the Canes were "only" 14-2-3-3 with a lead at second intermission. Which only means, really, that there weren't all that many times they had a lead at second intermission. But when they did, they knew how to protect it.

The two games in question were:

Wednesday, April 2, 2003

at Mellon Arena

CAR 0 2 0 2

PIT 1 0 2 3

Tuesday, February 18, 2003

at Air Canada Centre

CAR 2 1 0 3

TOR 2 0 2 4

Next question to answer is when's the last time it happened at home? Watch this space for future results.