The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Stick a Fork in Us...

Personally I don't think that any late aquisitions would help us. It is distressing to see the lack of effort and I hate to depend on other teams to be spoilers but sometimes that is exactly what we need.

you guys do realize the playoffs are still an option , until you are out for sure. I would suggest cheering on the team. My habs are still a question but will cheer them on until the numbers say otherwise.....ALOT OF HOCKEY LEFT. I think some of you are bumming because you expected to rip thru every team this year and win the cup again. Its a different NHL now dynastys will be a rare and the team of the canes last year was not even close to being a dynasty.

If the playoffs are not made this year , expect some big changes though from players to the coaches. Very rare that a team wins the cup and fails to make the plyoffs the next......alot of hockey left....good luck

you guys do realize the playoffs are still an option , until you are out for sure. I would suggest cheering on the team. My habs are still a question but will cheer them on until the numbers say otherwise.....ALOT OF HOCKEY LEFT. I think some of you are bumming because you expected to rip thru every team this year and win the cup again. Its a different NHL now dynastys will be a rare and the team of the canes last year was not even close to being a dynasty.

If the playoffs are not made this year , expect some big changes though from players to the coaches. Very rare that a team wins the cup and fails to make the plyoffs the next......alot of hockey left....good luck

To play devils advocate I only expected a 5-7 seed. I knew that Buffalo and NJ were in a much better postion than us. I also felt that Tampa and Atlanta have been improved. I am just surprised at the NYI. Garth Snow has done a great job (did I say that lol).

I also thought that we would not go through such a streak of not scoring. Its kinda sad really. We need to wake up. I would even bring someone up from Albany to shake up the 3th/4th lines. Why not a Keith Aucoin, Bayda or Willis. (dont tell me they stink, they can do just as well as Larose, C Adams or Letwoski (when playing) lately.

and I dont want to hear that I am not a good fan. The spinning Whaler symbol shows I supported some pretty sad teams in the early to mid 90s when I knew that making the 8th seed was a pipe dream. Getting smoked by Boston, MTL and Buffalo at times was not fun, but I still rooted and still do and always will. Questioning what is wrong is human nature. It does not make you a "bad fan" or "fair weather fan"

I will be rooting hard vs Pitt and Atlanta this weeked. I am not throwing in the towel as of yet, but if we continue to not score on the PP, then we are in trouble and it pains me to be labeled a flash in the pan or a fluke last year.

I miss Recchi. I dont want to hear about he did right by his family (sorry FM) Then if we knew we were going to lose him, Weight and Cullen, then bring in someone better than letowski to replace him. yes cole came back and Walker has helped but we never replaced that aspect of having 3 scoring lines to help take the pressure off of the top 6 players.

I also dont want to hear about how great Andrew ladd is. He is a major flop to me. A 1st round pick with 7 goals is sad. I had high expectations of him this year. Yes injuries hurt but I was hoping for a 20-25 goals. Heck ever Bates Battaglia scored 20 one year. Its not like I said 40. Just my humble opinion. Ladd was supposed to help overcome the loss of Cullen, Weight and Recchi and has done very little to do so. He has had enough ice time that he should do better. He should park his big frame in front of the net and try to get in some tip in or ugly goals. He can do that. It does not take a ton of skill to get pounded in front of the net.

We need some ugly goals. Grinding goals to help us get out of this funk.

I love this team and always will. I just think the talent is underachiving now and needs to be accountable, including the coaches and GM

Hab's suck. Seriously... nobody even seems to remember where the nickname came from anymore...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Habitants

"Habitants is the name used to refer to both the French settlers and the America-born inhabitants of French origin who farmed the land along the two shores of the St. Lawrence waterway in what is the present-day Province of Quebec in Canada.

In 1924, Madison Square Garden owner Tex Rickard was falsely told by someone that the "H" in the logo of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team stood for "habitant", a French word that in those days was used to denote the farmers of Quebec. Rickard was told that the French players on the team came from the farms and that they were therefore "habitants" or "habs". At the time, the Canadiens were recognized as the French Canadian team of Montreal as opposed to the Montreal Maroons, the English Canadian team. In reality, the team logo of the "C" wrapped around the "H" stands for Club de Hockey Canadien."

What Do All These People Have In Common?

Julius Stein - 3rd class passenger on the Titanic - "I'm just going to grab my galashes. I don't want to get my feet wet."

Daniel Stack - Calvaryman riding with George Custer - "Com'on, it's just a few Indians."

Gladys Beety - First nurse to attend to John. F. Kennedy in Dallas - "I think it's just a flesh wound."

Antonio Benaduchi - Resident of Pompeii - "Pepe, let's duct tape the windows. Looks like it might a little dusty in here."

Sheila Putner - Extra in 'Gigli' - "This movie is going to make me a star."

Buddy Butz - Investor - "I'm going to load up on these Enron shares while they're so cheap."

Stanley Triddel - Britney Spear's manager - "Trust me, Brit. No one will think twice about you shaving your head."

Vic Stuble - RBC Security Chief during last year's playoffs - "We don't need additional security for the next series against Buffalo. These Sabres fans will be great. It'll be fine. In fact, that will be a good time to hand out the commemorative glasses."

Debbie Sunshine - Poster on this board - "All they need to do is get on a roll. They still have a chance, if they could just string a few wins together we could do some damage in the playoffs."

Yeah, yeah I know. True fans support their team. Blah, blah, blah. Don't give me these comparisons with Edmonton last year or any other team. This is NOT a good hockey team right now. Hasn't been all year. If you think this team has a chance at anything, you've been watching too many "come from behind victory" videos on the Jumbotron. You don't suddenly become a good team.

Here's my predicition for the rest of the season L-L-W-L-W-L-L-W-W-L-L-L-W-L-L-W. Doesn't really matter who they play, it will look something like that. That's what it's looked like all year. I promise you, there will be no W-W-W-W-W-W spans like some of you think may happen. There very may be some L-L-L-L-L-L, though.

Sure, there's a remote chance the Canes could stumble into the playoffs (though highly unlikely). Then what? Do you really want to get swept by the Devils or Slugs, because that is exactly what would happen. I watch a lot of hockey on Center Ice. There are some REALLY good teams out there right now. I also watch/attend every Canes game. It's time to face the facts - the Canes are not one of them.

So, yeah. Go to the remaining games. Cheer like hell. Enjoy your nachos. Try not to get caught with the neighbor's spouse during KissCam on the Jumbotron. Knock over a few kids trying to grab a cheap T-Shirt. But please, for your own sake. Don't plan on tailgating this spring. It ain't gonna happen. Come mid-April, stick in the old Stanley Cup video and enjoy!

See that, laying on the floor? Yep. It's my towel, officially thrown in.

You know what's going to be funny? If it's May and we're still playing... what are you going to say then? I should remember this post.

I think I hate this guy. HIs logic is flawed and he has lost all faith..

Faith is a another word for delusion. Yes, I've lost it. Sue me.

What logic are you referring to? The Canes have been a midiocre team all year and they're suddenly going to be thrust from the flames like a Phoenix?

its not about faith, its about being honest. I cheer this team everynight and even without center ice, I watch espn news just for the score and hope for a few hightlighs. I wait until they are uploaded on the net to watch.

I love this team but agree its not good. I dont watch anything through rose colored glasses. i have suffered through the harford days when we sucked so bad and there were 5000 fans in the seats. I loved them then and do now. I want us to win and hope it happens on Friday night but you have to admit the team looks lost right now and to not criticize them is just plain watching them with blinders on.

I am probably hated by some here but at least I can live with what I say and not say

Larsose is great, um no

Ladd is great, sorry but has no hockey sense

Staal is great. Can be but has underperformed this year imHO

If we are so "great" then why did we go over 90 minutes without scoring with a talented offense like we have? Its not like Ottawa is NJ or something. the can be scored on.

Sorry If I ramble. i am just so disappointed in this year and never expected us to be in danger of missing the playoffs. It makes last year look llike a fluke and if people wanted respect for our beloved team then at least making the playoffs and taking either the Slugs or Devs to 6 games would help just a little and build momentum going into next season.

its not about faith, its about being honest. I cheer this team everynight and even without center ice, I watch espn news just for the score and hope for a few hightlighs. I wait until they are uploaded on the net to watch.

I love this team but agree its not good. I dont watch anything through rose colored glasses. i have suffered through the harford days when we sucked so bad and there were 5000 fans in the seats. I loved them then and do now. I want us to win and hope it happens on Friday night but you have to admit the team looks lost right now and to not criticize them is just plain watching them with blinders on.

I am probably hated by some here but at least I can live with what I say and not say

Larsose is great, um no

If we are so "great" then why did we go over 90 minutes without scoring with a talented offense like we have? Its not like Ottawa is NJ or something. the can be scored on.

Sorry If I ramble. i am just so disappointed in this year and never expected us to be in danger of missing the playoffs. It makes last year look llike a fluke and if people wanted respect for our beloved team then at least making the playoffs and taking either the Slugs or Devs to 6 games would help just a little and build momentum going into next season.

Hey , Hey now....don't give that impression of Hartford. It's already bad enough what most people here think of Hartford. There was only a game or two that there were 5,000 there. The average was a little over 11,000 for a crap team and thats actual butts in seats. Had a great season ticket base also. Ok thats it....thanks

Whine, Whine, wrong information, whine, whine, cry, whine

Yeah, that about sums it up. It's quite possible that the team can still make it to the playoffs. There's still 16 games left. Tampa Bay's got a 6-game road trip coming up. We play Atlanta a couple more times.

I highly doubt Rod/Lavi will let the team sink far enough below to not make the playoffs. It's just not their style.

And for the record, the Canes have strung together some wins this season. Sometime toward the middle, we hit a 5-game win streak. That's 10 points, more than enough to take the division.

Larsose is great, um no

Hey , Hey now....don't give that impression of Hartford. It's already bad enough what most people here think of Hartford. There was only a game or two that there were 5,000 there. The average was a little over 11,000 for a crap team and thats actual butts in seats. Had a great season ticket base also. Ok thats it....thanks

It was for effect forever Whalers. I know it was not all the time. but if you remember in 92 when playing the Canadien I think there were 6000 fans in attendence and that was not good.

Sorry if I offended I was trying to make a point. I probably stretched the trouth a bit.

I was just trying to make a point. I loved the Whalers and made the trip down from Boston 5 times from 94-97. My best moment when when Geoff Sanderson scored in OT vs the slugs and that jerk goalie D Hasek. I think I always have not like the slugs. it was so much fun. The Bruins fans I took with me were actually happy for me for a minute LOL

Larsose is great, um no

My thoughts exactly, medford.

I hope we make the playoffs. I think we can. But I have no expectation that we will. We're all Canes fans here, but apparantly you're a fairweather bandwagoner if you don't have blind belief that the team is perfect in every way and will soon win every game and take the Cup. I'd be curious to hear someone explain why we should believe these things, and do it without mentioning anything about last year. This isn't last year's team, this is this year's team, a team with no consistency and no killer instinct. IMO, we're having the same problems now that we had in January and November and October, etc. If we haven't gotten our crap together by now, we probably never will. Maybe we can still back our way into the postseason, but I'm not counting on it.

I understand Med....I still can't explain that series and what happened. I've asked on the whalers baord ( still around) and they say that many fans were boycotting the league then. Only happened that one time and then never again , so who knows but I was there and remember asking "where the hell is everybody?"

Larsose is great, um no

My thoughts exactly, medford.

I hope we make the playoffs. I think we can. But I have no expectation that we will. We're all Canes fans here, but apparantly you're a fairweather bandwagoner if you don't have blind belief that the team is perfect in every way and will soon win every game and take the Cup. I'd be curious to hear someone explain why we should believe these things, and do it without mentioning anything about last year. This isn't last year's team, this is this year's team, a team with no consistency and no killer instinct. IMO, we're having the same problems now that we had in January and November and October, etc. If we haven't gotten our crap together by now, we probably never will. Maybe we can still back our way into the postseason, but I'm not counting on it.

this must be the Red Sox fan in you coming out. We are able to handle disappointment and criticize and not see everyone or everythning as great like our 4th liners who could not hit water from a boat at times with their hands.

Great post Warbird.

I say give someone from Albany an chance and Scratch Ladd, Larose, why not. They can score zero goals like everyone else has the last 90 minutes or so against Ottawa who will never be confused with NJ, Minny or Dallas when it comes to defense.

Why not Willis, Aucoin or Bayda. Stick Willis with Staal and maybe that speed I once remember might get him back to that once young promising player who has never been the same since his concussion in the 2001 playoffs. its not like he is old or anything.

I understand Med....I still can't explain that series and what happened. I've asked on the whalers baord ( still around) and they say that many fans were boycotting the league then. Only happened that one time and then never again , so who knows but I was there and remember asking "where the hell is everybody?"

send my a pm of that board. Med would love to check it out :D

I still can remember frank Piterangelo (sp) standing on his head and them giving up that crap goal to Russ Coutnall in double overtime and it broke my heart. They should have won that series. IMHO.

I love how you focus on goals, and completely ignore the point of the fourth line. It's not their job to score goals. It's their job to provide energy to the team, and to wear out the opponent. LaRose does both. Not to mention his invaluable play during the PK.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/jun/05..._chance/?sports

Laviolette has more than enough scoring threats on his team, so the role LaRose has been asked to play is as more of an energy presence and a penalty killer. He scored 13 points (1 goal, 12 assists) in 49 regular-season games, and though he and his two linemates — Craig Adams and Kevyn Adams — have not registered a point in 18 playoff games, they have driven opposing coaches and players crazy.
Rutherford said he and the Carolina coaching staff envisioned the Adams-Adams-LaRose line as being an impact line coming out of training camp, but injuries early on prevented the three from playing together until near the end of the season. Once the trio started to click in the first round against Montreal, they became, according to Rutherford, "very, very difficult to play against."

Where do we go? Well first we finish the season that we are in because it's not over yet. I don't expect them to make the playoffs or get the Stanley Cup this year, but I DO want to watch 4 weeks of good hockey. I am just glad we get to watch it, because I know I will be missing it when the season is over. SO I am just going to enjoy the next four weeks and if somehow we make the playoffs then awesome, if not....well...that's that

AMEN!!! I AGREE COMPLETELY!!! OMG!! YOU KEEP STEALING MY WORDS!! HAHA I agree; 5 weeks from now, I'm going to be in withdrawl from hockey. Its a long offseason and I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season. Sure, I hate it when my team(s) lose, but its part of the game. I know, I know.... we've lost a bunch recently, but.... giving up faith just seems so.... shallow maybe? I can't think of the word. Shall I post my poem about this exact topic again? .....

You know what's going to be funny? If it's May and we're still playing... what are you going to say then? I should remember this post.

Yes, please remember this post. Keep it. Frame it. Make it sticky. Here's what I'll do if the Canes are playing hockey this May....I will donate $50 to the charity of your choosing, gocanes. I'm absolutely serious. Just PM me in May if the Canes are still in the run and let me know who to donate to.

Let me make one thing clear. I'm not hoping the Canes don't make the playoffs. I'll be happy to put out $50, if I'm wrong. I was there when Stormy almost died in the Zam before the first game in Greensboro. I had season tickets and made the long trip every game. I want them to succeed. I just think people should be realistic.

I love how you focus on goals, and completely ignore the point of the fourth line. It's not their job to score goals. It's their job to provide energy to the team, and to wear out the opponent. LaRose does both. Not to mention his invaluable play during the PK.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/jun/05..._chance/?sports

Laviolette has more than enough scoring threats on his team, so the role LaRose has been asked to play is as more of an energy presence and a penalty killer. He scored 13 points (1 goal, 12 assists) in 49 regular-season games, and though he and his two linemates — Craig Adams and Kevyn Adams — have not registered a point in 18 playoff games, they have driven opposing coaches and players crazy.
Rutherford said he and the Carolina coaching staff envisioned the Adams-Adams-LaRose line as being an impact line coming out of training camp, but injuries early on prevented the three from playing together until near the end of the season. Once the trio started to click in the first round against Montreal, they became, according to Rutherford, "very, very difficult to play against."

Sorry I view hockey diffently than you do. It helps to get an occasional goal from these guys. If the top lines were doing there total job then it would be okay to have "aggravators" on your team

Also what you quoted is old and from last years team and has no relevance on this yeas team.

eg how about a John Madden of NJ who can play defense and actually chip in at times. Someone like that.

If your 4th line does not produce at all, then your 3rd line better be like ours was last year when we had Weight and Recchi playing there.

yes I will get flamed but sorry this is honesty. Not a rose colored glasses nothing is wrong thread.

BtW isnt the object of the game to score more goals than the other team. :?:

AMEN!!! I AGREE COMPLETELY!!! OMG!! YOU KEEP STEALING MY WORDS!! HAHA I agree; 5 weeks from now, I'm going to be in withdrawl from hockey. Its a long offseason and I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season. Sure, I hate it when my team(s) lose, but its part of the game. I know, I know.... we've lost a bunch recently, but.... giving up faith just seems so.... shallow maybe? I can't think of the word. Shall I post my poem about this exact topic again? .....

LMAO, SORRY! I will try and let you use your words from now on.

I have to say, if Philly can be so low in the standings and still have fans that go to their home AND away games then the Canes should have 4 times as many who are willing to do it.

I have to say, if Philly can be so low in the standings and still have fans that go to their home AND away games then the Canes should have 4 times as many who are willing to do it.

haha its ok... haha i guess we just think alike.... haha I agree.... again..... and I think that its pretty low to stop supporting your team just because they don't make it to the playoffs....

haha its ok... haha i guess we just think alike.... haha I agree.... again..... and I think that its pretty low to stop supporting your team just because they don't make it to the playoffs....

My take is I always support my team but if they mess up be critical. Its like loving your son or daughter. You dicipline them when they screw up but still hug them after the fact and always will love them, even if they drive you nuts in the process.

analogy

Last year was like being valedictorian.

This is is like having a C average going into the final 2 months of class. There is still hope but will they at least bring it up to a B minus and be respectable.

yes I am nuts (lol) and I do have 2 kids. but they are young and I think the above is a great analgy (the first one)

My take is I always support my team but if they mess up be critical. Its like loving your son or daughter. You dicipline them when they screw up but still hug them after the fact and always will love them, even if they drive you nuts in the process.

analogy

This is is like having a C average going into the final 2 months of class. There is still hope but will they at least bring it up to a B minus and be respectable.

yes I am nuts (lol) and I do have 2 kids. but they are young and I think the above is a great analgy (the first one)

I agree...it's alright to be critical. There are some that are only being critical of the same three guys, when obviously the problem is the team as a whole. AND then you have people who say "I have pretty much given up on the season"...why? It's nice to make the playoffs, but it's not the end of the Canes if we don't

analogy

I agree!! that is actually a great analogy!! nice!! I agree; I am critical of my team.... more often than i show actually... my family is probably sick of me always talking about hockey... haha I can get quite mad at my teams, [the Flames and the Canes], and if nothing else it makes me feel better... but throwing in the towel? along the lines of your analogy, [ I LOVED IT!!], your kids need your support MORE when they screw up not less... yes, be critical b/c sometimes thats what they need to wake them up, but also, show them that you'll be there when they come out of their slump.... ok, i'll stop talking now... haha thanks medfordcaniac.... look what you started!! haha