The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Stick a Fork in Us...

Sorry I view hockey diffently than you do. It helps to get an occasional goal from these guys. If the top lines were doing there total job then it would be okay to have "aggravators" on your team

Also what you quoted is old and from last years team and has no relevance on this yeas team.

It may have been from last year's team, but it still refers to the same players. LaRose's job is still to aggravate the opponents. When we played the Rangers a while back, Lavi sent the LaRose line against Jagr's, because Lavi wanted them to shut down that line. And they did.

You wanted goals. LaRose has already surpassed his goal amount of last year. Don't blame the loses on the 4th line. We have the other 3 lines that aren't producing the goal amount you want.

Sorry I view hockey diffently than you do. It helps to get an occasional goal from these guys. If the top lines were doing there total job then it would be okay to have "aggravators" on your team

Also what you quoted is old and from last years team and has no relevance on this yeas team.

eg how about a John Madden of NJ who can play defense and actually chip in at times. Someone like that.

If your 4th line does not produce at all, then your 3rd line better be like ours was last year when we had Weight and Recchi playing there.

yes I will get flamed but sorry this is honesty. Not a rose colored glasses nothing is wrong thread.

BtW isnt the object of the game to score more goals than the other team. :?:

I read in another post that your from Boston, so I'm gonna give you some insider information on what Craig's and Chad's job is.

The organization held a STH event and part of this event was a Q&A session with Lavi. Lavi went through each line and explained their job and what HE expects them to do each and every game. In summary, here is what he said about Craig and Chad:

He wants Craig and Chad to go out there create havoc and create energy. He will put them out right after a PP if we don't score, to get the energy back up. He described Craig and Chad as Pit bulls. Lavi said that he loves how they give 110% every night, no matter what and they do aggravate the opposing team. He even said that their job is NOT to score. If they get a chance great, but he is not expecting them to be goal scorers and that is why they have the Staals, the Coles, the Williams, etc.

There was a write-up in our paper earlier this year when Buffalo was in town and Chris Drury was being asked about their PP, he pretty much said that Chad Larose makes it very hard for them to set up. He said that Chad is constantly in your face and doesn't give you much room.

I just found that interesting since he mentioned Chad and not Brind'Amour or Williams, but Chad.

Not sure how many games you do get to watch being in Boston and all, but next time you watch a game, please focus on Chad and Craig. With this new information, you might see why we gush about Chad and why we feel he brings alot to the table.

It may have been from last year's team, but it still refers to the same players. LaRose's job is still to aggravate the opponents. When we played the Rangers a while back, Lavi sent the LaRose line against Jagr's, because Lavi wanted them to shut down that line. And they did.

You wanted goals. LaRose has already surpassed his goal amount of last year. Don't blame the loses on the 4th line. We have the other 3 lines that aren't producing the goal amount you want.

Fair enough. I just would like an occasional goal sometime.

sorry if I sound bitter, I am just frustated if you read my other posts I think you can see I love this team and will always support them but be critical when deserved. They deserve criticism now. IMHO

Everyone from JR, Lavi to all the players even the untouchables like Brindy, Williams and Whitney. They have struggled as well.

friday should be interesting. I will cautiously hope for the best :-)

Fair enough. I just would like an occasional goal sometime.

sorry if I sound bitter, I am just frustated if you read my other posts I think you can see I love this team and will always support them but be critical when deserved. They deserve criticism now. IMHO

Everyone from JR, Lavi to all the players even the untouchables like Brindy, Williams and Whitney. They have struggled as well.

friday should be interesting. I will cautiously hope for the best :-)

Are you forgetting that beautiful goal that Chad got the other night? Set up by none other than Adams? :-)

eg how about a John Madden of NJ who can play defense and actually chip in at times. Someone like that.

If your 4th line does not produce at all, then your 3rd line better be like ours was last year when we had Weight and Recchi playing there.

yes I will get flamed but sorry this is honesty. Not a rose colored glasses nothing is wrong thread.

BtW isnt the object of the game to score more goals than the other team. :?:

I read in another post that your from Boston, so I'm gonna give you some insider information on what Craig's and Chad's job is.

The organization held a STH event and part of this event was a Q&A session with Lavi. Lavi went through each line and explained their job and what HE expects them to do each and every game. In summary, here is what he said about Craig and Chad:

He wants Craig and Chad to go out there create havoc and create energy. He will put them out right after a PP if we don't score, to get the energy back up. He described Craig and Chad as Pit bulls. Lavi said that he loves how they give 110% every night, no matter what and they do aggravate the opposing team. He even said that their job is NOT to score. If they get a chance great, but he is not expecting them to be goal scorers and that is why they have the Staals, the Coles, the Williams, etc.

There was a write-up in our paper earlier this year when Buffalo was in town and Chris Drury was being asked about their PP, he pretty much said that Chad Larose makes it very hard for them to set up. He said that Chad is constantly in your face and doesn't give you much room.

I just found that interesting since he mentioned Chad and not Brind'Amour or Williams, but Chad.

Not sure how many games you do get to watch being in Boston and all, but next time you watch a game, please focus on Chad and Craig. With this new information, you might see why we gush about Chad and why we feel he brings alot to the table.

I like the insight, Thank you.

I am too poor to afford CI now lol That is what kids do to you. lol

I had ci for 5 years and watch every Canes game I can. I just get aggravated when they are supposed to be on National TV and then get pulled. It shows no respect for the Champs IMHO

I just wish ESPN gets the games back. Versus/NBC have putrid coverage in a sense that games only Monday. Tue regualar season is not good.

Also when ESPN had the games they would have made a point to show that Buff vs Ottawa game on Sat night. Even I wanted to see that one. Great theatre

We have 14 goals from our defense this season, we had 39 last season.

We had 175 goals from our top 6 forwards last season. We have 16 games left and our top 6 this year has given us 146. Out of our top 6, only 2, Williams and Whitney, have matched or exceeded their goal output from last season. Williams has matched his, and Whitney has 10 extra. Brind'Amour is 11 goals behind, Staal is 19 goals behind. Cole is 5 behind, but he's injured again.

Of the two groups, which had a sharper drop in scoring?

The D's 14 goals is only 36% of the 39 they had last season. 25 goals less.

The Forwards' 146 goals is 83% of what they had last season. 28 goals less.

All told, we have 53 fewer goals this season from the top six forwards and the defensemen than we did last year.

Team wide, we had 286 goals last season. This season we have 195. That's 68 percent of last season. That's 91 fewer goals than last season. If we subtract those goals we've already attributed to the top 6 and the D, that leaves 38 goals that the third and fourth line have not scored this season. Our top six forwards accounted for 75% of our scoring this season.

That indicates to me that our problem is not in out top 6 'impact' players, but in the rest of the team as well. 6 guys should not account for 75 percent of the team's total scoring. They accounted for roughly 60-61% of the scoring last season, and that's reasonable, but 6 players being responsible for 3 out of every 4 goals? That's ridiculous. We relied too heavilly on too few people.

I miss our FANS from last season. Sure our team has been hot and cold and hot and cold.... but this is the first season I have ever known our fans to give up on our team so early!!!

We can't dwell on the championship from last year... this is a new season and a different team. And win or lose we should always be proud of our hockey team.

AND ALSO... STOP leaving the games early when we are not leading. I've been a season ticket holder since the 2000-2001 season and this is the only time I can ever reameber our arena emptying out w/ 6 minutes to play when we are only down by 2 goals.... The FANS are just as much a part of the sport as any one else.... and this is especially true in Hockey!!!

Suck it up guys.... our team is struggling... but we can give them some motivation and something to play for I think.

-Loco.

The Canes are currently 9th in the standings.

A win last night would have bumped them to 7th.

They are only 2 games out of 5th place (Pittsburgh).

2.5 games behind Tampa, which would give them 3rd place. Tampa, btw, will be heading on their Northwest Division road trip next week, where all the other Southeastern teams have struggled this year.

The Canes just lost 2 straight games to Ottawa, the hottest team the past two months in the Eastern Conference. By only two goals each game. Each game coming down to the very end, and one goal against in each of those games being empty-netters at the end. That's really just losing two games by a goal each time to one of the best teams in hockey right now.

It isn't the end of the world. The Canes still might make the playoffs, and they might not. They aren't doing horribly, though. They just aren't one of the top teams this season. They are right there in the middle of the pack, competing with some very good teams.

LaRose's energy and intensity is unbelievable. If the rest of the team could match him in these areas, we'd be looking back at everyone. The goals would be there and the D would be hard to get through.

Locomato wrote:

"I miss our FANS from last season. Sure our team has been hot and cold and hot and cold.... but this is the first season I have ever known our fans to give up on our team so early!!!"

Stop blaming the fans. The fans are there, this is NOT about the fans attendance is excellent. On the "cold" nights that you describe the team sucks and the games are boring. That is the problem. The fans are showing up and giving it their all. The fans are trying to have a good time but the team is letting them down. I have said before that I am amazed at the degree that the fans keep showing up. The team is letting the fans down ..... not the other way. On the 'hot" nights the place rocks. We have not had many of those nights in 2007.

"AND ALSO... STOP leaving the games early when we are not leading. I've been a season ticket holder since the 2000-2001 season and this is the only time I can ever reameber our arena emptying out w/ 6 minutes to play when we are only down by 2 goals.... The FANS are just as much a part of the sport as any one else.... and this is especially true in Hockey!!!"

Again don't blame the fans. This team has (only for now I hope) has simply lost its ability to score. That is the problem. I have also been a STH for a long time, I leave early because I have better things to do than to sit and watch these guys mail it in when they are down. Last year you didn't dare leave because that team could score three goals in the last 3 minutes. Not this year, when they are down by two with 5 minutes left ... the game is OVER!

LaRose's energy and intensity is unbelievable. If the rest of the team could match him in these areas, we'd be looking back at everyone. The goals would be there and the D would be hard to get through.

This was discussed at length in the Staal...hustle thread. LaRose is like many lesser skilled players in the NHL. His primary job is to bring energy or he's gone. Not to give some of the bigger name guys a pass who need to bring it every night, but there is a huge difference between guys like Adams and LaRose skating around looking to disrupt things over the course of 15 shifts a game and elite players trying to set up chances or bury scoring chances while out there for 25 shifts/game against top checking lines and top D pairings.

LaRose and Adams are like NFL special team guys on the kick-off coverage team. They aren't talented enough to play every down so they throw their bodies around a few times a game to keep a spot in the league. So you could ask the same question about the NFL but the answer would be the same.

Different roles and different expected outcomes with a one-dimensional purpose. No team has a collection of skill players that play like their energy guys. The dynamics are completely different.

This was discussed at length in the Staal...hustle thread. LaRose is like many lesser skilled players in the NHL. His primary job is to bring energy or he's gone. Not to give some of the bigger name guys a pass who need to bring it every night, but there is a huge difference between guys like Adams and LaRose skating around looking to disrupt things over the course of 15 shifts a game and elite players trying to set up chances or bury scoring chances while out there for 25 shifts/game against top checking lines and top D pairings.

LaRose and Adams are like NFL special team guys on the kick-off coverage team. They aren't talented enough to play every down so they throw their bodies around a few times a game to keep a spot in the league. So you could ask the same question about the NFL but the answer would be the same.

Different roles and different expected outcomes with a one-dimensional purpose. No team has a collection of skill players that play like their energy guys. The dynamics are completely different.

if they did they would get hurt at game 10 or so every year. Great analogy :-)

Again don't blame the fans. This team has (only for now I hope) has simply lost its ability to score. That is the problem. I have also been a STH for a long time, I leave early because I have better things to do than to sit and watch these guys mail it in when they are down. Last year you didn't dare leave because that team could score three goals in the last 3 minutes. Not this year, when they are down by two with 5 minutes left ... the game is OVER!

Mailing it in has been a problem not only when they're down, but also when they're up. A one-goal lead will never be enough in this league if the next thing that happens is you're constantly playing in your own end of the rink.

I want to thank everybody for their very thoughtful responses, AND for keeping it positive. I don't want us to miss the playoffs either. I will continue to hope for a miracle, but I'm fearful that the only one I'm going to see this year came over the holidays when we took Anaheim down. That was a beautiful thing.

Contrast that to the Rangers game two weeks ago, which I also attended. What an ugly night.

Before moving here from Philly, I got the chance to see JWilly play in the orange and black, and I knew after the first shift I saw him play in person that he had the ability to be something special. Coming here and watching the Canes on a regular basis made me a fan, because they did the things you have to do to win, things Philly stopped doing about 10 years ago: Carrying the puck across the blue line, not dumping and chasing (I HATE it when I hear Tripp or anybody else call it "chip and charge." It sounds propagandist and is, because the bottom line will always be that you had possession a minute ago and now you have to try to get it back!); forecheck (and backcheck) relentlessly, from the minute the game starts until you are either throwing stuff in the locker room or basking in the glow of victory -- but either way, knowing you did all you could.

This year I think it is safe to say that there is not ONE GUY on that bench who would swear he "brought it" EVERY night -- I don't care if we're talking about Roddy or LaRose or Willy or anybody else on the team. There's a palpable air of complacency where last year there was a CONSTANT one of URGENCY. (I think the word I'm really looking for is HUNGER.)

All of that being said, the year after a championship is a mindbender for sure, and we've got a bunch of young guys who are all the more susceptible to that mojo. The vast majority have the skills to develop over a four-to-five-year period, as Williams has, and that's a good thing. But I think that development occurs more quickly when one is held accountable for lax performances, and I wonder if the combination of their youth and the high profile of being the champs has reduced the number of a$$-chewings Lavi is dishing.

The good news is that, whatever happens the rest of this year, this is a team with the ability to come back stronger than ever next year, and the embarrassment of an early exit is probably just what the doctor ordered.