The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

New Mask

I personally didn't like his old mask. Nickleback? Come on, anything different would be better. Depicting landmarks of N.C. is a cool idea also. Still wondering if he has a cross on this one also.

Yes he does have a cross on this one as well. They showed a few glimpses of the back last night and the cross is on the left side, the number 30 is on the right side and in the middle is the Stanley Cup with the Hurricanes flag on it.

Cool! 8) I can't wait to see it!

Trivia Alert: Anybody remember the first Canes goalie to use the Hatteras lighthouse on his mask?

Yes, that famous Hurricane's goalie that wore Number 1 ... no, not the Little Latvian, but Sean Burke! His Hatteras was more prominent than Ward's...right down the middle of the top of his head as I recall.

Winnah! Winnah! I thought Burke had it on the side, but I might be remembering it wrong. I'll have to dig through my old photos and see if I can come up with one that shows it. He had the whole lightning bolt thing going on too, but that's fairly common.

Trivia Alert: Anybody remember the first Canes goalie to use the Hatteras lighthouse on his mask?

Yes, that famous Hurricane's goalie that wore Number 1 ... no, not the Little Latvian, but Sean Burke! His Hatteras was more prominent than Ward's...right down the middle of the top of his head as I recall.

Winnah! Winnah! I thought Burke had it on the side, but I might be remembering it wrong. I'll have to dig through my old photos and see if I can come up with one that shows it. He had the whole lightning bolt thing going on too, but that's fairly common.

Woohoo...I love winning prizeless contests! :cry: As for a picture, I didn't have one and surfed to see if I could find one and stumbled on a pretty cool site devoted to goalies and they do have a Burke photo (from a distance) with a top-side Hatteras mask on. (Funny to note too are all the empty seats in Greensboro behind him). In looking at his stats, I knew he was tall, but didn't realize he was 6'4"! Quite a contrast to the Number 1 that followed him! :-)

To get this back on thread, the site has a page on Cam too.

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/hurricanes/burke.html

^^^ YAY!!! i was hoping he didn't get rid of the cross!!

That wasn't ever gonna happen. He'd have that on his mask if he didn't have anything else based on what I've read.

Seems like i heard an interview with Cam one time where he said the cross was for his grandfather and also due to his (cam's) faith, or something like that, so yeah, i dont think the cross will be going anywhere.

Woohoo...I love winning prizeless contests! :cry: As for a picture, I didn't have one and surfed to see if I could find one and stumbled on a pretty cool site devoted to goalies and they do have a Burke photo (from a distance) with a top-side Hatteras mask on. (Funny to note to are all the empty seats in Greensboro behind him). In looking at his stats, I knew he was tall, but didn't realize he was 6'4"! Quite a contrast to the Number 1 that followed him! :-)

To get this back on thread, the site has a page on Cam too.

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/hurricanes/burke.html

I was in some of those seats... and believe me, it wasn't funny at all at the time. I've got some pretty good shots of burke from back in the day, I'll try and dig them up and post 'em for comparison purposes.

I suspect that the similarities in the masks will probably be the only similarities between Ward and Burke.

And I didn't realize he was that tall either. Yeah, he woulda dwarfed Irbe...

anythings better than a mask with nickelback on it.

+1!

Looks like Cam was inspired by Grahame's NASCAR/beach motifs, also a tribute to North Carolina. Personally, I would have gone with barbecue, John Coltrane, and the Smoky Mountains as a tribute to NC, but that's just me.

+1!

Looks like Cam was inspired by Grahame's NASCAR/beach motifs, also a tribute to North Carolina. Personally, I would have gone with barbecue, John Coltrane, and the Smoky Mountains as a tribute to NC, but that's just me.

now that i can agree with but what he chose wasn't bad either. at least for now it has winning MOJO and that is important.

I liked his Nickelback helmet. :( But I really love this one! Especially because it's a tribute to this state! It's nice to see a little NC pride! It was gorgeous! Katy and I loved seeing it on him last night! A million times better than the Yeti? on Abby's helmet!

are the mountains of NC depicted on it? :D

I see the wright brother's plane is on it, to be honest I've never really been that proud of what some dudes from Ohio came to NC and did on the beach ah whatever, wish we could be better known for stuff people from our state actually accomplished, just my opinion

No I don't think so, though they might as well just put ASU somewhere on there too.

I just learned that "Carolina Hurricanes" and "Appalachian Moutaineers" have the same syllables.

I think that would be awesome if Ward were the mountains and Grahame was the beach.

I think that would be awesome if Ward were the mountains and Grahame was the beach.

Now THAT is an awesome idea! You should submit it to them! Maybe they'll be able to do that for next year! :)

Now THAT is an awesome idea! You should submit it to them! Maybe they'll be able to do that for next year! :)

Beach for one, mountains for the other.....wouldn't that make Raleigh seem like just the great wasteland in between where they happen to play??? :wink:

+1!

Coltrane Rulez!

But don't forget Thelonius Monk!

I see the wright brother's plane is on it, to be honest I've never really been that proud of what some dudes from Ohio came to NC and did on the beach ah whatever, wish we could be better known for stuff people from our state actually accomplished, just my opinion

Um, they kinda flew a plane....somehow I think thats a big deal.

Um, they kinda flew a plane....somehow I think thats a big deal.

They did a lot more than just "fly a plane". The engineering that went into building it -- most of it anyway -- was all brand new stuff. The Wright Bros. developed an entirely new kind of propeller for one thing -- one that changed the way propeller theory has been thought of ever since. They also had to develop a whole new type of engine -- from scratch.

And these were two guys without any formal engineering education... I don't know about anybody else, but I'm impressed.

But I think the point of the previous post was that they were from Ohio, not NC.

They did a lot more than just "fly a plane". The engineering that went into building it -- most of it anyway -- was all brand new stuff. The Wright Bros. developed an entirely new kind of propeller for one thing -- one that changed the way propeller theory has been thought of ever since. They also had to develop a whole new type of engine -- from scratch.

And these were two guys without any formal engineering education... I don't know about anybody else, but I'm impressed.

But I think the point of the previous post was that they were from Ohio, not NC.

LOL Sorry, I was paraphrasing a little bit. I live (when I am not here at school) about 2 miles from where the Wright Brothers flew...and although it doesn't seem like a big deal considering how far technology has come...it really is, because they took that first step for us.

Can we imagine how long it would take the Canes to get to some of these places if they didn't have a plane? LOL

I completely appreciate the feat that the Wright brothers were able to accomplish, it certainly was an amazing thing finally accomplishing the task of getting men to fly. However like it was acknowledged, is there really nothing else that NC is known for? I mean I know another symbol people see is the light house and think wow thats neat, and it really is but is there anything state wide that we are known for and not just things on the beach? BBQ maybe? Tobacco? Certainly but probably not the thing we want to be known for. I don't know I guess I'm just a poor pouting WNC kid who is just sad when we're always left out of stuff where our state is concerned :(

I completely appreciate the feat that the Wright brothers were able to accomplish, it certainly was an amazing thing finally accomplishing the task of getting men to fly. However like it was acknowledged, is there really nothing else that NC is known for? I mean I know another symbol people see is the light house and think wow thats neat, and it really is but is there anything state wide that we are known for and not just things on the beach? BBQ maybe? Tobacco? Certainly but probably not the thing we want to be known for. I don't know I guess I'm just a poor pouting WNC kid who is just sad when we're always left out of stuff where our state is concerned :(

Mt Mitchell tallest peak East of the Mississippi :wink:

Bag throwin out some Love for WNC... :mrgreen: