The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
pilige

Babchuck is Back!

I agree but with the exception of the little "vacation" Babs took, he's been playing every night and should be ready to jump right in.

I agree but with the exception of the little "vacation" Babs took, he's been playing every night and should be ready to jump right in.

I can see the thought in that, but I think he needs to sit a few games for his little temper tantrum.

I predict that Hutch and Babs won't be in a Canes uniform next year.

Not so sure about Babs I agree...but people have been saying that about Hutch for a while, no?

I was thinking that Anton was called up because he was not on Albany's Clear Day Roster, but he is so in the event that the Canes don't go far in the play-offs and Albany does, he can be sent down to play in Albany.

I was surprised to see his name on the clear day list and then getting the call-up. Usually AHL teams are very careful as to what guys they choose to put on their clear day rosters. I don't think Albany would have wasted a spot if Anton was going to be called up for a very long period of time. So either he will be sent back down soon, or The powers that be figure the Canes will not outlast Albany in play-off time and subsequently Anton can go back down to Abany and play.

Just my observation...

You can't compare Kaberle at all. He had major shoulder surgery and missed half the season. He hasn't had all year to get back on his game like the rest of the team have or should have. Just because he's back in the line up you can't expect him to be the Frank from last year. It takes time for a player to get back in the groove especially after having major surgery. Now if he's lacking next season at this time, then you have reason to say he's not producing.

What's the reasoning for Seidenberg not playing then?

Babs will be back unless he thinks he deserves a big fat raise, JR will offer what he is making plus 10%. Given that Babs balked at going to Albany, he may have hurt is bargaining position for more. He is an RFA so he isn't the big priority. Personally he needs to stay here for at least three more years, I think his upside is huge if he is given time to develop within our system. His performance and Commies this year have been the big surprises on the blue line, same with Hutch early but then he faded.

The only way i don't see Babs back is if another team offers something substantial in which case we get compensated for that so it's all good.

You can't compare Kaberle at all. He had major shoulder surgery and missed half the season. He hasn't had all year to get back on his game like the rest of the team have or should have. Just because he's back in the line up you can't expect him to be the Frank from last year. It takes time for a player to get back in the groove especially after having major surgery. Now if he's lacking next season at this time, then you have reason to say he's not producing.

Because, and I hate to say this, Tanabe has outplayed him.

Because, and I hate to say this, Tanabe has outplayed him.

Which is why Babs will play before Hutch or Iceburg. Babs is extremely good for a young D-man. Hes only 23 (where as Hutch is 27 and Iceberg is 26). Once he learns to lower his shot a little, he won't be the

"Ukrainian who shoots too high", he'll be "The goalie better duck or his head is gone" guy.

One more point, until very recently Commadore has been playing like crap commpared to Tanabe, which is why Tanabe gets my vote as the 3rd best D-man

behind Wesley and Hedian.

Not so sure about Babs I agree...but people have been saying that about Hutch for a while, no?

shes got a point there..

yeah i think Hutch has a better chance staying the Babs.

shes got a point there..

Honestly.....I don't see either of them leaving. We have one or two Dmen who will be done after this season so we won't have the huge surplus we seem to have right now. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it

Recalling Babchuck is a mistake because Seidenburg should be taking that spot!!! Babchuck is young and has a LOT of growing up to do!!! If he wants to play for the Canes then he needs to do a little bit more to prove that he wants to be in Carolina rather than being on his own agenda, whatever it may be. Seidenburg is a good, solid hockey player who gets the job done every night that he plays. Because of the abundance of defensemen, Coach Laviolette has been working Seidenburg into the forward position and it is a HUGE difference. Instead of Babchuck, Seidenburg deserves to be played, whether it is in a forward spot or a defense spot. He deserves it a lot more than Babchuck does!

^^With his most recent play, calling him "terrible" is being kind. Over his last dozen or so games he was a staggering -10 and at that point he had already worked his way well down into the pairings.

I guess it's the first impression routine that some people can't shake. There weren't great expectations for him initially but then he really played quite well early on before his play plummeted. It's like the Tanabe syndrome in reverse.

The bigger question though is why the obsession over who the #6/7 D man is going to be? It's like worrying who your "dime back" is in football.

I love Babs. Now I will accept the argument that Seidenberg deserves the spot, but c'mon now, Hutchinson? Hutchinson is the only defenseman I've ever seen who can't play defense.

Seidenberg's not that great either. He makes lots of careless mistakes. At least Babs has a booming shot from the point. And Seidenberg has????

I predict Seidenberg and Gleason will not be in a Canes uniform next season.

shes got a point there..

hutch has a year left on his contract and will be due $500k next season so he doesn't cost us much for a bench warmer but at that price would also be easier to trade, that will likely happen at the end of the season. JR likes Babs and he will likely resign (or else JR would have traded him for a bag of pucks at the deadline - he had offers but he has a high regard for Babs worth and not as mad as most of you make out about the suspension).

hutch has a year left on his contract and will be due $500k next season so he doesn't cost us much for a bench warmer but at that price would also be easier to trade, that will likely happen at the end of the season. JR likes Babs and he will likely resign (or else JR would have traded him for a bag of pucks at the deadline - he had offers but he has a high regard for Babs worth and not as mad as most of you make out about the suspension).
No disrespect C97 but how do you know that? Info I've heard says JR was fuming but refused to trade him at the deadline because the offers were unacceptable and weren't close to what he was asking. Because there was no last minute trade for us, he may be needed down the stretch since he knew the system well and was having some success with the team.

Unfortunately, desperate times call for desperate measures and we are in desperate times now.

No disrespect C97 but how do you know that? Info I've heard says JR was fuming but refused to trade him at the deadline because the offers were unacceptable and weren't close to what he was asking. Because there was no last minute trade for us, he may be needed down the stretch since he knew the system well and was having some success with the team.

Unfortunately, desperate times call for desperate measures and we are in desperate times now.

JR suspended him because he couldn't get Anson other wise - he had to make room on the roster and Babs/Ladd were the only options to be sent down. If JR was pissed (and in interviews he appeared very accomdating) with Anton then Anton would be gone. Do you remember how he dealt with IRBE?? Loaned his sorry @$$ to the ECHL. When JR is mad he will deal with a player in a harsh manner, not give him time to think and then call him back up weeks later. IF JR was mad then Babs would still be in Albany or with the Everblades.

I actually think that Iceberg might be gone at the end of the season. I no longer can decide what will happen with Hutch because everyone "predicted" that he would be gone at the end of last year and when that didn't happen said it would be at the trade deadline...that didn't happen either so we will see.

As far as Babs goes, we weren't asking much for him at all. A second round draft pick? Considering how everyone is saying the draft is crap this year that's not too much to ask

iceberg is under contract for next year for $850K unless we can trade him.

I know, but so is Hutch and you are saying we can trade him so....I suppose we will see what happens.