The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cjslumber

Can we have our fifth round draft pick back?

A 5th round draft pick, despite Carter's lack of points, is still a steal for a well travelled vet. He's another winger. People said it before it in his first game: he looked good with the rest of the Canes. Here's hoping he can get on the scoreboard tonight. (Hey, with me, the glass is half full;))

Do you remember last year when weight and recchi came and they took a little while to fit in...or where you not a fan then??

Anytime you want to measure commitment to the Canes as a fan we can big boy? I don't think you dirve 1:30 minutes each way for 95 % of the games. I had a family member in ICU during the playoffs and I still made every game(I'd say that's borderlin crazy) because my family new how important the Hurricanes are to me. I don't think you've been to multiple away games to watch the team play 10 hours away. Do you pay for the Center Ice Package just so you can catch the five games that are not on Fox sports. Do you subscribe to XM so if you happen to be driving you can catch every minute of every game. Did you go to the very first game ever in NC in Greensboro. You can disagree with my post but don't question if I'm a real fan Mr. Walker 24.

Weight and Reichi might not have been scoring right away but they where loging big minutes and contributing in other ways then just scoring. Every time they interviewed Weight and Rechi they where delighted to be here. Those two players are also the ultimate proffesionals and had proven over the years that they are consistent players. Carter has been traded numerous times and hasn't had many friends in the places he left. If you log only 7 minutes in a crucial game when we have two major wingers out what do you think he'll contribute when we have everyone healthy. That's my point MR. Superfan.

I agree... Carter's minutes are going down, with Cole back they will shrink even more...... If Carter is doing so good, why is Lavi cutting his minutes???

Part of it is figuring out which line to play him on. Quit worrying about Anson and have faith in Lavi to get the best out of all or send them to the press box.

I remember Weight being nicknamed "Dead Weight". Sure Belanger scored a few after being dealt. I remember Vasicek scoring a few after he was traded away. Some players just get so angered by being traded, they play with fire and get on the scoreboard for a few games and then like the Czech Condor, eventually go back to being non-entities. Give Belanger time and he'll sink back into non-entity-ness. You gotta give Carter some time to get the feel of where his linemates are going to be when the puck is in various places, the system, etc. It's like a race driver on a track he's never raced before, he's got to learn the turns before he can start winning. The odds were probably around one in ten that some '08 fifth round pick would ever have amounted to anything anyway.

Right. And of course, when Kaberle was terrible in preseason and spent the first three games of last season in the press box, what did that prove? And when everyone's new hero Eric Belanger did squat here and was a healthy scratch, what did that prove?

Neither Carter or the above are bad players, but it's a numbers game.

The following players are not going to be healthy scratches under any circumstances: Staal, Williams, Brind'amour, Whitney, Cole, Stillman, Walker.

Then there's Vasicek, who likely wouldn't be scratched because that would leave us short a Top 9 center. And Adams/LaRose/Letowski because that we leave us short PKers/grinders.

So, basically Carter has to outperform Ladd, which is hard to do the way Ladd has been playing recently.

And, my god, it's a fifth round pick. Want to guess how many points Bill Guerin has in his first five games with San Jose (who gave up a first rounder+ for him). Same as Carter...zero.

Let's not forget Floppa, he is already injured in Nashville!!

To many of you think we gave up an Eric Staal or Sidney Crosby pick!! Fifth round is just above a bag of pucks!!

A fifth round pick is nothing. I'm fine with Carter sitting in the pressbox since that's all we gave up. And to be honest, i'd rather have Ladd playing whose been a force, than Carter.

Forslund and Tripp were talking about it last night. Said that he only fits in as a Top 9. Right now, all healthy, he doesn't fit. Would you rather have Cole, Stillman, Whitney, or Williams sitting in the pressbox just so Carter can play? Then Forslund went on to say that Carter is not really a 4th line grinder, but even if he was, Lavi likes his 4th liners (Craig, Chad, and Trevor) so he's not going to bench them. Plus Craig and Chad are like our 2nd PK unit and when Letowski plays, he's been getting major time on the PK. Carter doesn't. We need to keep these guys in the game.

If Carter spends the rest of the season in the pressbox, i'm fine with that. Its not like we gave anything up for him, he was practically free.

I'm getting tired of the Belanger stuff. He's on the top line in Atlanta--he was no more than a 3rd liner here. That speaks to our talent level and Atlanta's desperation. Eric is a good player (who in the NHL isn't?), but he's not our guy.

NOW, for Carter: he's a scratch because Joe Vas has been good lately and Ladd is coming on. Look at last night. Joe was sharp, he won numerous draws cleanly, and he was a handful in front of the net. He even created scoring chances.

Carter is great depth (with our injuries this year, I'd rather have him than not), and a 5th round pick isn't going to suit up and skate for us if Stillman hurts himself again, etc.

This crying about a 5th rounder in 2008 is ridiculous. Even if Carter is nothing more than an insurance policy for depth, he provides more talent and experience than Bayda or Aucoin.

For those who are lamenting this can you please share with the rest of us who will be available in next year's draft in the fifth round who won't be Canes property now? I bet Jack Johnson's second cousin is lurking out there for someone to snatch up in the 5th. :roll:

U guys really need to stop kidding urselfs CARTER is a highly over-rated player. he had one good season here in vancouver ONLY because of other players skill not his, reallity is he is not even worth the 5th rounder :)

He's not a steal if he sitting in the press box. We will not sign him next year and if he's not making any impact this year then we waisted a draft pick for a bad teamate. Ask other cities and players from the ten teams that have let him go. I hope I'm wrong but we should have went after someone who could have helped us win.

I'm sure the Sharks are thinking the same thing about Guerin, but I still think he's a steal at 5th round. I totally agree that a 5th round pick would likely last a year or two as they would've spent some time in the minors developing. While Carter, based on what we've seen, will not be signed by Carolina should that decision be made today. But to make the glass half full, I don't think I'm kidding myself that he's a total bust. Edmonton, Boston, Washington, Vancouver...he's had good seasons, and obviously, like LA, CBJ, NYR and CAR...bad ones. You can't forget that it's a team game. I definitely can't make excuses for the guy, but when I look at getting a 5th round back, and losing a veteran reserve player, I'd rather have the reserve player. Injuries show up out of nowhere, especially now during crunch time. I'd rather have ready to go vets instead of a late round draft pick. my 2 cents, no disrespect intended.

He's not a steal if he sitting in the press box. We will not sign him next year and if he's not making any impact this year then we waisted a draft pick for a bad teamate. Ask other cities and players from the ten teams that have let him go. I hope I'm wrong but we should have went after someone who could have helped us win.

It sounds like you're dumping the Carolina woos on Carter. There is a lot more to blame for the Hurricanes subpar track record at the moment then Carter's inability to jump stright into the team's chemistry.

You gave up a 5th round pick for an average depth player. Other teams may have done differently but in the Canes situation it was probably one of the only moves they could have made.

*This year's draft is supposed to be weak to begin with, which means there isn't going to be much talent in the 5th round.

*The Hurricanes organisation has a very small amateur scouting staff from what I can tell, and they hardly ever draft anyone good after the third round.

If the Canes knew how to draft well in the later rounds I'd agree with you that Carter was a waste, but the fact that they don't says otherwise.

it could be worse. Bill Guerin = 1st rounder...he's 0pts 6 games, 4 PIM, and -2

ouch.

from sharks mb:

Guerin has not shown jack, but neither has the team...so I think it is fair to wait and see what transpires here. If the team starts to click (i.e. put goals in the net like this so called offensively threatening team has shown us and is supposed to be doing) and Guerin finds the right line to play on, he should be very potent.

looks like the same thing going on over there too, just a tad more costly.

but then there's the biggest bust: samsonov scratched 6 times. on a 2 yr 7 million contract. couldn't imagine scratching a 3 million dollar player, but hey, when you play crappy, ya gotta do something to spark some life i guess.

Given what is available this year during round five we gave up nothing, you act like we traded away Staal and Cole for this guy!!! Try putting things in perspective!! How many 5th rounders make it to the NHL their first season?? How many ever do?? Do the math!

Answer this question did you expect for us to make a move at the deadline for someone who is not helping us win. The answer for everyone is NO. It doesn't matter what we gave up it was still a trade to make a impact on this hockey team and it hasn't. Make sure you get your facts straight it's a 2008 fifth round pick not a 2007 so who cares if this years draft is weak. We're still paying him a bunch of money to sit him in the press box. I'll take a player that we can develope with a good attitude verses a over paid journeyman any day. He is not somebody for the future he is somebody for today. Please give me a example of how he has made one impact to this team since he has been here. Give me one shift he has made a impact and then will have a true conversation. There has been a lot of fifth rouders or late rounders that have turned out to be great players. If you need examples I can give them to you.

Answer this question did you expect for us to make a move at the deadline for someone who is not helping us win. The answer for everyone is NO. It doesn't matter what we gave up it was still a trade to make a impact on this hockey team and it hasn't. Make sure you get your facts straight it's a 2008 fifth round pick not a 2007 so who cares if this years draft is weak. We're still paying him a bunch of money to sit him in the press box. I'll take a player that we can develope with a good attitude verses a over paid journeyman any day. He is not somebody for the future he is somebody for today. Please give me a example of how he has made one impact to this team since he has been here. Give me one shift he has made a impact and then will have a true conversation. There has been a lot of fifth rouders or late rounders that have turned out to be great players. If you need examples I can give them to you.

Do us one better and tell me who was available for a 5th round pick that was better than Carter. Remember the key words here are "AVAILABLE FOR A 5TH ROUND PICK"!! Yes we could have gotten someone that would have made more of an impact but it would have cost us more.

Answer this question did you expect for us to make a move at the deadline for someone who is not helping us win.

The team hasn't been helping ITSELF win for a good part of this season, so NO, I didn't expect JR to make a huge or expensive move at all by deadline. There is NO magic missing piece for this team this season that JR could've gotten. There's alot more that's not in sync on this team this year than just adding one or two players could fix.

Answer this question did you expect for us to make a move at the deadline for someone who is not helping us win. The answer for everyone is NO. It doesn't matter what we gave up it was still a trade to make a impact on this hockey team and it hasn't.

Carter was not brought here to make an impact on this team. Carter was brought here for depth. He was Cole's fill in until he could get healthy. If another forward gets hurt, Carter will be better than Bayda, Aucoin, or Gove. But that's all we got him for, depth. Guess you'd rather sit Brindy, Williams, Whitney, Staal, Walker, Cole, Stillman, Ladd, or Vasichek. Sorry, but I play these guys any day over Carter.

Columbus gave him up for a 5th rounder in 2008, that right there speaks volumes for what he is worth and what he was traded for, depth.

Once Carter makes a difference to this team then you will get me to agree with you. It still cost the organization something or why would Blue Jackets even make that trade. There giving him a very large paycheck which believe it or not cost the hurricanes money. They still gave up a draft pick that would at least add depth to the organization. I'm no dummie I understand that a fifth round pick is not a big deal but thats not my point. You're giving up something for nothing. I really hope I'm wrong before the seasons over but today we've received nothing but a guy who has always had a bad attitude for a large salary and a draft pick. Your also giving up the opporunity for one of our players who is younger and will be part of our future that coujld come up and pratice with the team and maybe work his way into the line up. Instead you have someone who's taken up space and money.