The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cjslumber

Can we have our fifth round draft pick back?

What's all the fuss about ??? We aquired him to fill a hole in the roster due to injuries. Now we don't need him anymore so he is a healthy scratch. He won't be back next season.

his contribution might be small right now, but come playoff time, it'll be nice to have an experienced vet on call should injuries come. we all know that aggression is turned up a notch during the playoffs, so injuries will happen whether you like it or not, it's 16 games to the cup if you're perfect, 28 if you like nail biters...still lots of hockey; Carter is a good fill in, someone i'd feel better about rather than calling someone up from the farm.

I guess I should give up on my point I agree with everyone. All of you have convinced me he has made a great impact so far. I remember he actually scared me one time during warm ups with his dreads flying around. But since his been eating nachos in the press box I guess he hasn't contributed the past two nights. I just need to give him 13 games more to adjust so he can go adjust to another team next year.

Last time I'm posting on this subject but to the guy with the nice Montreal Teddy Bear let me bow down to you first of all because you're from Canada and I forget you'll know everything about hockey. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you say he's no whitney or cole which I agree. But you also say he brings a physical presence to the team. But you also say he can't play on the fourth line. Isn't our fourth line our most physical line. Where does a player like this fit on any team? Obviously nobody has found a great deal of worth in him after 10 stops. They only thing we agree on is that he probably was brought here for depth but I didn't figure he wouldn't contribute at all on or off the ice.

Here is your list of late round picks that have been good players. Don't ever underestimate the power of a draft pick.

It's sad to see that after 300Section advised everyone in this thread to refrain from racial slurs, you almost immediately make prejudice comments about my nationality. Your maturity is overwhelming.

Second, the 4th line is almost NEVER a checking line. The checking line has always been the third line. If you can name me one team who relies on their 4th line to shut out the opposing teams top scoring lines I'll admit I'm wrong, but I highly doubt you'll find one. And if you've been paying as much attention to the sport as you claim you do, you should know already that the new salary cap has almost made the 4th line obsolete and cost ineffective.

Thirdly, it's really sad that you insult me in your last post when you still have not even properly read what I've been trying to tell you in my last 3 posts. YES there are some really great players drafted in the 5th round, however the ability to draft great in the later rounds is largely dependent on how good your amateur scouting staff is. The Hurricanes do NOT have one of the top scouting staffs in the league in the later rounds. Which means their ability to find those hidden gems in the 5th round is lacking.

You seem to treat the draft like it's some lottery. The list of late round players you provided does not help your argument. Look at the teams you cited.....Ottawa in the 90s, Calgary in the 80s, Detroit in the 90s. These are all teams who had really good scouting staffs during these periods. Look at Ottawa's current roster, their top stars are almost all drafted by their very own scouting staff. This is something you can't say true for Carolina.

Also keep in mind that 4 of the players you listed (Vladimir Konstantinov, Pavel Bure, Vladimir Malakhov, and Arturs Irbe) played under the former Soviet Union. The 1989 draft was a very weird draft because it was the first year players from the Soviet Red army or Russian super league could be drafted into the NHL. Most scouting staffs didn't know enough about these players to take a risk at drafting them too high. In fact the first noteable russian drafted that year was Sergei Federov in the 4th round. In other words, today, at least 3 of those 4 guys would have been drafted much higher.

It's sad to see that after 300Section advised everyone in this thread to refrain from racial slurs, you almost immediately make prejudice comments about my nationality. Your maturity is overwhelming.

I know this may be hard for some people to believe, but just because someone is from Canada, it doesn't mean they ALL know EVERYTHING there is to know about hockey (I've even met some that don't even LIKE hockey - GASP! Oh, the horror, I know). You don't like it when people make assumptions about you, Kernersville, so try not to make assumptions about the other members here, like you have been doing ever since you registered & started to post. You're the one that started this topic for discussion... so, did you not think about, expect or allow for members that would disagree w/ you? The members that are disagreeing w/ you in this thread are some of the most knowledgeable about the sport that are roaming these boards, & for the most part they've also managed to keep their cool while trying to explain over & over to you why they disagree & why aquiring Anson for a 5th round pick wasn't such a bad idea & just may have been a decent move by JR, & they've made some pretty strong points while doing so. There's no reason whatsever to bring anything other than facts or opinions about the facts to these types of discussions, just so long as they stay respectful. This is the second time that I've had to come into this thread to advise all members posting in it, & it's the third time that an admin has had to intervene & advise not to bring up things like race, etc., which clearly violates our TOS, if anyone cared to read them when they registered to post on here. The next time it is brought to my attention or any other admin's attention that something such as race or the like is brought up & that violates our TOS, it will result in a ban. Period. Do NOT do it again, anywhere on these boards, by anyone.

This thread will remain open for now, at least by me (I can't insure what another admin will do, esp. Marcus, if they should see this), but tread very lightly while posting, folks.

Now please, carry on.

Next time a staff member is forced to intervene in this thread it will result in it being locked and those involved immediately banned.

Hope I'm clear on this.