The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

How long have you been a Canes/Whalers Fan?

I've been a fan since Karmanos announced the move in 97. Before they showed up in Greensboro I caught the hockey bug going to Icecaps games with my dad and cheered for the Penguins because of Mario Lemieux.

Was an Islanders fan growing up (lived in New York).

Moved down here in '93, and became an Icecaps STH.

Went to the fan jam and first Canes game in G'boro in '97, followed by many other games in G'boro. Have been a STH since '99.

I had been to probably 5 or 6 Icecaps games and really found them to be kinda boring but the beer and company were both pretty good. Then in late February 1999 we made the trek to Greensboro for a Hurricanes game and that was it. Once I saw hockey played at that level, I was smitten. The Canes were in a playoff race then, we went to many games throughout the rest of that season. This was back when attendance was around 3,000 a game so they hung the big rubber / plastic curtain to hide the upper level seats. We would always get seats in the last row so that we could stand up and beat on the curtain which made a very loud bass drum type of noise. That year we won the division and played the Bruins in my first playoff series. If I remember correctly, Anson Carter destroyed us in that series. It was all so cool, we won two games. The playoffs were incredible and that was it for me. I had found my new favorite sport. The morning after the last playoff game, I heard on the news that defenseman Steve Chiasson had been kulled in a drunk driving single car accident. The story went that they had been partying and Steve got pretty loaded. Instead of calling a cab ..... he insisted that he could drive. The police thought that he passed out at the wheel. That whole thing really sucked, its pretty rare to have to bury an active player. If you want to see the roster of that team, check out. There are quite a few familiar names here.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0009791999.html

good night y'all

nice game tonight

cheap

Since the day they moved to Carolina.

Though I'd had a vested interest in the Whalers before that, with my family in New York living outside of Binghamton, where Hartford's AHL team was located. They were big fans. (I think Binghamton's a Sens town now.)

The Chicago Blackhawks were the closest pro team for us in South Bend (or one could choose Detroit, about an hour further the other direction on I-80/94), but the ice was in a bad part of town ("town" being Chicago) that just kept getting worse; Notre Dame was home, and since I went to their high school and their ice rink was our home ice, quickly, ND and college hockey became my choice.

Grad school in St. Louis found me living only blocks from then-Checkerboard Arena and the Blues. With my student discount, I could attend Blues games at my whim. What luxury! Then years of living down near Memphis, and hockey became a distant sport-in-the-news until I returned to South Bend for 11 yrs and could resume cheering ND at home.

Then came my move to Goldsboro in '97, and lo-and-behold, professional hockey arrived the same year! Glory! Northern tier sports transplanted to the South in my backyard! I couldn't get to games over in Greensboro, but adopted the team from the moment of the first news release about the birth of the Canes. I had already been through the altered reality of the middle-of-the-night move of the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis, so I knew that there was no point in prolonging the agony of transition by persisting in believing the myth that this was the Hartford Whalers with a new address. No such thing in professional sports. The Whalers were dead, these were the Hurricanes and I have never considered them anything else.

After 10 years, to think of the Galeforce team as anything BUT the Hurricanes is ludicrous indeed. They have forged their own identity honestly, and it's not been easy for the organization or the players, but they have done it. Just as I can never look at the blue horse shoe of the Colts without thinking of Mr. Unitas whom I watched play (since I was lucky enough to be around for the birth of the televised professional football games - as well as having watched games at storied Soldier Field in Chicago), the Whalers' past will always include Mr Howe, among others, but their logo is retired (at least for now). There is nothing in the Hurricanes corporate identity to tie them to the ghosts, and a whole new generation of hockey fans is learning to love the game and the men that play it because of their Carolina Hurricanes, not a team from Connecticut - or Montreal or Detroit. And this is right and more than just fine.

I think it's wonderful that our frozen pond and flooded backyard winter sport from the North has found a home in the South. Kids (and adults) SHOULD learn the joys of hockey - what a hole there is in one's personal sporting life without it!

Was an Ice Caps fan at the Fair Grounds. Then the Canes came to town and I started making the trek to G'boro. Fan from Day #1 as the Canes.

I WAS a Bruins fan from 1972 til 1997 cause my grandparents lived outside of Boston (Got to see a lot of hockey whenever my family made the trek from Raleigh to Boston to visit). I was torn when the Canes played the Bruins in the 1st round of the '99 playoffs in Greensboro cause of childhood memories of the good Bruin teams. Became a Hurricanes fan when they moved here (well Greensboro). Been some sort of season ticket holder since the first day they played at the ole ESA (now the RBC Center)

I didn't become a hockey fan until the 01-02 season. I was a Avs fan because of Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic. I still like the Avs. But I converted to a Canes fans during their Cinderalla run in the playoffs in 02. As they say the rest is history.

Been a fan of the franchise for many years,i'm from upstate NY and for years we had the "Broome Whalers" team in our town.Was a huge Sabres :shock:fan for many years but converted to the Canes probably around 5 to 6 years ago!

Been a fan of the franchise for many years,i'm from upstate NY and for years we had the "Broome Whalers" team in our town.Was a huge Sabres :shock:fan for many years but converted to the Canes probably around 5 to 6 years ago!

don't know if you are the same guy or not who had the sign about his conversion from a Sabres fan to a Canes fan during the ECF last year but as he said, "with age comes wisdom" :mrgreen: (I loved that sign)

been a Canes fan since the first game at the ESA (RBC Center)...Card Carrying Caniac since 03-04

Now that I have fully prepared for the comments that may follow this...

I have been a Canes fan since September. Like I said before, I used to watch the Pens when I lived up in PA but a few years ago I stopped watching hockey altogether...it isn't exactly a huge thing on the OBX. I moved here to Raleigh for school in August and my friends are all Canaics and so I started watching games with them and right away remembered why I love hockey and have been watching since :-)

Now I suppose this makes me a bandwagoner by association, but you can ask anyone how much I care about what happened last year. Frankly I can't wait for that to be over so people can live in the present and what the team is doing currently..instead of what happened last year. Not that its not awesome that the are SCC and I am not saying that people shouldn't reminisce, but you all know what I am saying.

Anywho, that's my story for the day :mrgreen:

Now that I have fully prepared for the comments that may follow this...

I have been a Canes fan since September. Like I said before, I used to watch the Pens when I lived up in PA but a few years ago I stopped watching hockey altogether...it isn't exactly a huge thing on the OBX. I moved here to Raleigh for school in August and my friends are all Canaics and so I started watching games with them and right away remembered why I love hockey and have been watching since :-)

Now I suppose this makes me a bandwagoner by association, but you can ask anyone how much I care about what happened last year. Frankly I can't wait for that to be over so people can live in the present and what the team is doing currently..instead of what happened last year. Not that its not awesome that the are SCC and I am not saying that people shouldn't reminisce, but you all know what I am saying.

Anywho, that's my story for the day :mrgreen:

TH24 welcome back to the best sport there is. I agree with your comment on letting go of last year's performance. Expectations were high for the team this season and it's understandable since we are the champs. As Lavi and some of the guys stated early in the season it's time to turn the page.

Born in New Britain, Connecticut and grew up watching the Whale at the Civic Center, then moved to Michigan when I was 11 years old and went to school (college)with Karmanos's partner's sons from '90-94 and naturally was drawn back to being a huge fan again. Then I moved to NC in 1997. My 1-year-old daughter started going since she was 3 weeks old (last year during the Cup run) and my 3-year-old wears her Canes jersey to bed and to school on game days. STH too and another little Caniac on the way!

TH24 welcome back to the best sport there is. I agree with your comment on letting go of last year's performance. Expectations were high for the team this season and it's understandable since we are the champs. As Lavi and some of the guys stated early in the season it's time to turn the page.

Thanks! Frankly, now..I am like "How did I live without hockey for so long??" and I can't imagine being away from it now. I was just talking to my friend about how I don't think I can ever move away from Raleigh, because it would be weird to not go to games now :lol:

In case some don't know my story. Been a fan of the whalers since 1975. I have seen them all...Webster,Pleau,Garrett, Gordie Howe,Dave Keon,John Mckenzie,Coffey,Shanahan,Primeau, Luit,Burke and on and on. Went to watch them at The Big "E" while the HCC was being built as the New england Whalers. Followed them for the games in Springfield, Ma when the Hcc's roof collapsed. Was there for opening night with the new HCC and was there for the last game vs Tampa in 1997 and my history of being a fan of the team died there in the HCC that night.

Hey Forever, heres a couple more names, Ron Francis,Peter Sdorkowitz(SP?)Shane Churla.Paul Cavalinni,just to name a few.