The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolinacanesgirl

Stolen Camera- PLEASE READ!!!!!!!

I may get flamed for this BUT, saying it was stolen implies that someone saw it and chose to take it from you. In your post it seems to me that it got left and when you went back for it then it was gone. It is possible that someone saw it there after you left and turned it over to lost and found (which wouldn't make it stolen).

Now had they found it there and chose to keep it then even though I think that is unethical, it is not considered theft.

That's still theft. You are taking something you have not paid for and it is with the purpose of depriving the owner of it. You have to report it to police and if it is not claimed in X number of days then it will legally become yours.

How many times have you found a quarter or a dollar bill on the ground?? how many times have tried to find the owner?? someone taking a camera "they found" and keeping it is wrong but they didn't steal it. Stealing implies that they physically took the item from that individual. The point I am making is this, by starting out saying "Stolen Camera" is to imply that the person who found it is a criminal, that may not be the case. To often people are guilty until proven innocent.

Bottom line is we don't have all the facts as to how it disappeared!!

Guilty conscious????

had they found it there and chose to keep it then even though I think that is unethical, it is not considered theft.

In criminal law, theft is defined as the taking of another's property without that persons freely-given consent. If he didn't take it to lost and found or turn it in, it's theft.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm sure I will never see the camera or video/pictures again. However, if the thief happens to be reading this, the memory card is hidden in the battery compartment. Please keep the camera, enjoy it, I replaced it today, but leave the memory card at RBC and they'll get it back to me. Those videos are irreplaceable, and only important to me.

On a much lighter note, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Jersey, watching the snow fall, and going to the game tomorrow. Yeah me!! Drove all night after the game. Yes, I did file a police report. RBC staff and the Raleigh Police couldn't have been nicer. Of course, when you consider the fact both the 'Canes and the Devils wear the same colors, we're talking about an entire venue of red, black and white! They promised to check the security videos. Anyway, I'll be sitting behind the players bench. Wow! Love them Canes!!

Was that you RIGHT behind the canes bench? If so, you were on TV a lot. :) :) :)

I may get flamed for this BUT, saying it was stolen implies that someone saw it and chose to take it from you. In your post it seems to me that it got left and when you went back for it then it was gone. It is possible that someone saw it there after you left and turned it over to lost and found (which wouldn't make it stolen).

Now had they found it there and chose to keep it then even though I think that is unethical, it is not considered theft.

That's still theft. You are taking something you have not paid for and it is with the purpose of depriving the owner of it. You have to report it to police and if it is not claimed in X number of days then it will legally become yours.

How many times have you found a quarter or a dollar bill on the ground?? how many times have tried to find the owner?? someone taking a camera "they found" and keeping it is wrong but they didn't steal it. Stealing implies that they physically took the item from that individual. The point I am making is this, by starting out saying "Stolen Camera" is to imply that the person who found it is a criminal, that may not be the case. To often people are guilty until proven innocent.

Bottom line is we don't have all the facts as to how it disappeared!!

Guilty conscious????

not really, if i had seen it i would have left it right where it was just because of threads like this.

had they found it there and chose to keep it then even though I think that is unethical, it is not considered theft.

In criminal law, theft is defined as the taking of another's property without that persons freely-given consent. If he didn't take it to lost and found or turn it in, it's theft.

until i have time to research this I will take your word on it.

Would a passage from the Canadian Criminal Code be sufficient? :wink:

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm sure I will never see the camera or video/pictures again. However, if the thief happens to be reading this, the memory card is hidden in the battery compartment. Please keep the camera, enjoy it, I replaced it today, but leave the memory card at RBC and they'll get it back to me. Those videos are irreplaceable, and only important to me.

On a much lighter note, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Jersey, watching the snow fall, and going to the game tomorrow. Yeah me!! Drove all night after the game. Yes, I did file a police report. RBC staff and the Raleigh Police couldn't have been nicer. Of course, when you consider the fact both the 'Canes and the Devils wear the same colors, we're talking about an entire venue of red, black and white! They promised to check the security videos. Anyway, I'll be sitting behind the players bench. Wow! Love them Canes!!

Was that you RIGHT behind the canes bench? If so, you were on TV a lot. :) :) :)

If you were right behind the Canes bench there's also a very good chance that one of our members photographed you and possibly also your perpetrator. If any of you who were at the game taking photos have shots of that area, our guy might be in one of them. If you have such shots, I can post them on my Picasa account and CCG can go through them to see if she can ID the guy. If she can, then we can get an idea where he was sitting and from there it's a matter of connecting the dots.

So... if you've got photos of the area send them to me and I'll get the lineup started.

If we were talking about a game that took place in Canada it would. But south of the border you're not only dealing with different Federal statutes, but different statutes in each state as well.

Nah!! you guys have funny laws, you let 18 year olds into strip clubs and get drunk (my kid decided he didn't want to wait until he was 21)!! Then there is all that Hockeyphobia which explains why the Pentagon has a contingency(sp) plan to invade Canada and bring democracy to the moose.

If we were talking about a game that took place in Canada it would. But south of the border you're not only dealing with different Federal statutes, but different statutes in each state as well.

Definitions are pretty much the same though. :P

Definitions are pretty much the same though. :P

It doesn't matter how theft is defined by Canada, only how Raleigh's finest define it.

In my lame attempt to put humor into the situation, I didn't know that there were Slug fans at the game last night!

Your right it was a lame attempt ALL I'M GONNA SAY!

John

GO SABRES!

In my lame attempt to put humor into the situation, I didn't know that there were Slug fans at the game last night!

John

GO SABRES!

if it were a slugs fan they would have taken the camera broke it half and given it back then yelled an obscenity about take pictures.

John

GO SABRES!

if it were a slugs fan they would have taken the camera broke it half and given it back then yelled an obscenity about take pictures.

And all this helps CCG get her camera back... how?

You're probably right. Unless you can ID the guy, you'll never get the camera back. Odds are that he'll keep it for himself or sell it to someone. PDs don't have time to worry about camera thefts. And unless this guy qualifies for "Dumb Crook News," he won't try to pawn a stolen camera at a pawn shop. But you might want to contact pawn shops in and around the Raleigh area just in case. You also might want to check on ebay and see if anyone in the Raleigh area just put a camera up for auction.

It's always surprising to me when people steal things. I just don't get it.

But I'm quite surprised that someone who could afford LL seats would steal a camera. It's just not the kind of people I'd expect to be down there, y'know? Whereas I've left my coat and purse at my seat in the 300s with no trouble. Of course, I'm usually sitting next to the same people and we tend to do a "Hey, could you keep an eye on this for me?" trade-off. Still.

But I'm quite surprised that someone who could afford LL seats would steal a camera. It's just not the kind of people I'd expect to be down there, y'know? Whereas I've left my coat and purse at my seat in the 300s with no trouble. Of course, I'm usually sitting next to the same people and we tend to do a "Hey, could you keep an eye on this for me?" trade-off. Still.

The only reason I can think of that it would be more surprising in the lower bowl than in the cheap seats is that it would be easier to get caught if you were down in the high-dollar seats simply because there's more eyeballs focussed on the area. Especially if the seats were right behind the bench. Seems like kind of a high risk target for a pretty small ROI. But if you think about it, who's more likely to have something worth stealing? The folks sitting in the high-rent district or us po' folks up in the bleachers? What's really ironic is that the way CCG describes her camera, I'm guessing it wasn't a horribly expensive one and I know of at least two people who are regular inhabitants of the 300's who show up with much more expensive gear. Of course I can speak only for myself, but I never let mine out of my sight. I strap mine on as soon as it's cleared security and don't unstrap it until I'm back at the truck after the game. I suspect MattDoc does pretty much the same thing.

Wish I'd been at the game now. I might've captured the subject in the background of a photo. So far nobody's offered up anything for the cyber-lineup, and since I wasn't there I don't have anything of my own. I probably wouldn't have gotten the angle she'd need anyway, since I'd have been focussed (literally) on the play but somebody might have something useful. PM me if you've got anything you even think might have a clue in it and I'll put up the surveillance photos. Also, if you have video that covers the area I can use that too. I have software to "decompile" video into still frames as long as I can get it in MPEG opr AVI format. (Might be able to do others, I'd have to check, but I know those two will work.)

Caniac Investigations is on the hunt.

Just because someone could afford the price of that lower bowl ticket doesn't mean they are better than those who can't or that they are not capable of stealing. There are those with money who still steal for the thrill or whatever.

Some people find perverse joy in taking what is not theirs!! That flaw seems to exist no matter the income level or education. Really is sad.

Nah!! you guys have funny laws, you let 18 year olds into strip clubs and get drunk (my kid decided he didn't want to wait until he was 21)!! Then there is all that Hockeyphobia which explains why the Pentagon has a contingency(sp) plan to invade Canada and bring democracy to the moose.

It's 19 actually

It's 19 actually

but in America you can be 18 and old enough to go into war and kill or be killed but you can't have a beer...........???????

I originally replied to this post several days ago but thought I should take a step back and breathe before I submitted it. So,.... here goes.

If I had left the camera and come back for it later and it was gone I would have said exactly that, admitted my forgetfulness, begged for it back, blah, blah, blah. However, that is not what happened. Since you seem to need clarity on the subject let me be more specific. I had my camera draped between my husband's seat and mine, I left just before the game ended to go to the other side and my husband said he would stay at our seats until I returned because he has a broken ankle. As I was returning to our section I received a frantic call from him stating that as he stepped into the aisle to allow other people to get out, a man in the row behind grabbed the camera and took off. My husband yelled at him and tried to catch him but was of course slowed by his injury. I ran to the entrance to our section after alerting staff but our section opens at one of the doors to the arena. Several staff members as well as police officers were there almost immediately but by then the thief was gone. We are full season ticket holders as are the majority of the people around us . This guy is someone who was passing through and saw an opportunity and took it. As I have said before, I've replaced the camera I just wanted my pictures back. Even if I had forgotten it, it was not a quarter or dollar as someone else suggested, it was a camera which clearly belonged to someone. It was not turned in to the lost and found which makes it stolen. I hope this clears up any questions regarding the incident. Nuf said!!!