The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Camniac

Embarrasing moment

Ok, I've got a few embarassing moments for all of you guys...

1) The night the Canes won the Stanley Cup a handful of my friends and I leave the game and head down to Glenwood South. While we're all celebrating at Lucky B's one of my friends notices that Jesse Boulerice is sitting at the bar. She really wanted to go up and say hey to him, but I knew that given the state I was in (pure joy from the night, and a little buzzed), I would more than likely do something stupid. Luckly, the bar was closing and everyone was being asked to leave. So my freinds and I leave and start walking up Glenwood, still glowing from the evening we were a part of and slightly in daze, when from around the corner, having left from the side exit or the bar comes Jesse. I grabbed my friend's arm, and like idiots, as we continue walking towards him we can't help but stare. As he passed us he looked at me and said "hey, sweetheart." I was able to compose myself unitl he was about a foot behind me when I looked at my friend, we both shreiked like school girls and literally fell over on the side walk. Neither of us could bear to turn around and see if he was laughing at us, but judging from the nearly whip lash reactions of our friends walking ahead of us, he had to have heard us.

2) Another night, my friends and I were at the Flying Saucer when we saw Commodore, Staal, Cole, and Boulerice walk in. Two of us immediately knew who they were, but one of our other friends had no clue seeing as she doesn't follow hockey at all. I pointed out Commodore to her as he walked passed us. The next thing I know, he's walking past us again to return to his table and my friend, the one who knows nothing about hockey, grabs him by the arm and pulls him down to sit at our table. She proceeds to tell him how she's not a fan at all, but my other friend and I are. He was really nice and actually talked to us for a few minutes before getting up to leave, but we spent to next hour yelling at our friend for basically attacking him and forcing he to sit with us.

Ok, last one...

3) I'm at the gym anywhere from 5 - 7 days a week, and during the off season the Battaglia brothers (Bates and Anthony) work out there too. After I few weeks of trying to figure out why they looked so familiar I figured it out, but the gym is not exactly my idea of the best place to run into them, especially since I usually feel sweaty and gross. When they're there I usually just try to get my workout done as fast as possible and leave. Well, one day I'm working out with my trainer and he decides to make me run the staircase. Everything was fine, until the Battaglia's started using the machines right next to the stairs. So every time I turn around to come down the stairs, my trainer keeps yelling comments like "why's your face so red?" and "only 10 more flights to go" which just made the Battaglia's spend their rests between sets watching me run stairs and laughing the redder my face got.

Another "moment" from working at the ESA (as it was called in those days.) It was after the Duke-NC State basketball game and Ron Francis' suite had been used by some of the players that night. I was the last Premium Seating staff on the clock and the server and I were waiting for the guys to leave so we could clean and close the suite for the night.

Although there is supposed to be a 30 minute time limit after an event before we start asking people to leave, we were told to let these guys stay as long as they wanted.

Having grown up in NC, at the time I wasn't really "into" hockey yet and as the head of my part-time staff, I was determined I wasn't going to make an a** of myself gushing over thoese guys. LOL

So I went in the suite and asked if they minded if we started cleaning up. They were seated or standing around the bar and the first row of suite seats. The server and I cleaned up the "living room" area of the suite but she was reluctant to go down into the seats and clean up there. So I said I would do it.

Well, Bates was standing on the steps, leaning on the rail with his legs stretched out across the width of the step. I came down the stairs and and said "excuse me." Well, I'm only 5'1" and there was still one step down to the bottom from where he was standing. So when he didn't move out of the way, I stretched out as far as I could and stepped OVER his massive thighs and somehow managed to get down the steps. I looked at him and he had this "charmer" look on his face...this was Bates BEFORE the haircut.

Well, I pretended to not notice just how close I had come to "paradise." But it wasn't for long. Like most people who sit in the suite's stadium seats, the guys had be putting their trash under the seats so they wouldn't walk on it.

Now at the time I only recognized a few players because I was still new at all this hockey stuff. I don't know who it was, but one of the "lesser known" players (remember, this is before the 2002 SC run) decided I'd have to reach between his spread legs to get the trash under his seat. Ok, I'm 2 rows lower than him so when I reach "up" to get the trash I'm in a very -shall I say...GOOD...position. However, when I got to the end of the row, Wesley was sitting in the last seat and he graciously handed me all his trash. What a gentleman.

Then one of the palyers sitting at the bar, who knows who it was, started saying something in broken English and his native tongue to the guys beside him. I don't think it was about me at all but when he said the "f" word several times (you know, "F***ing this and f***ing that") one of the other players who was standing at the edge of the bar by the top of the stairs poped him in the back of the head and then motioned my way...I guess to tell the guy there was a female present and he didn't need to be saying things like that.

For several years i thought the guy who popped the guy was a new player, Rod Brind"Amout, but then I heard him say in an interview that they had about some event they had all come to see on their off day that it was the first time he had been in the suites. This was, of course way, way after my incident. Sigh...oh well.

I'm sure some of you are wondering why I didn't just tell them to move the heck out of the way. Well, as an employee we weren't supposed to interact with the players or bother them, and like I said, I was bound and determined to act like a professional and not some groupie. They were nothing to me then.

Anyway, it has given me some good memories in the years since...

Watching the "Today" show this morning and they had someone on (forget the guy's first name but last name is Berman) showing some of the "highlights" in sports over the past couple of months -- unbelievable 3-pointers, embarrassing moments, that kind of thing.

One of the embarrassing moments was Belanger getting checked -- and then getting stuck against the boards because his jersey was trapped between the glass panels. ROTFL.

Watching the "Today" show this morning and they had someone on (forget the guy's first name but last name is Berman) showing some of the "highlights" in sports over the past couple of months -- unbelievable 3-pointers, embarrassing moments, that kind of thing.

One of the embarrassing moments was Belanger getting checked -- and then getting stuck against the boards because his jersey was trapped between the glass panels. ROTFL.

I remember that game. The look on Belanger's face was priceless. That's what happens when "seamless" glass meets a shoulder patch in just the right place with just the right amount of force. It was a classic...

And IIRC, that's Chris "He.Could.Go.All.The.Way." Berman.

I remember that game. The look on Belanger's face was priceless. That's what happens when "seamless" glass meets a shoulder patch in just the right place with just the right amount of force. It was a classic...

He's a huge Whaler fan too... Several Chris Berman sightings in Raleigh during the playoffs.

He's a huge Whaler fan too... Several Chris Berman sightings in Raleigh during the playoffs.

I once was in the autograph line after a game and JoVa had just signed my yearbook, and i looked at it and check out the sig..well I look up to see jhis g/f in the front seat and without thinking I look and my buddy Shuan and Say "JoVo's g/f is hot. And I think JovA might have heard me...yea I know, it ain't much of a story but it's all I got.

I'd like to embarrassingly tell Staal his brother can kick his *edit*, then when he asks which one i'll say Andy Laad told me to say it and watch Staal fight for once. Justin and I will drink some beers and throw peanuts at them while they fight. Ok so it wouldn't be embarrassing but it would make for great video.

I once was in the autograph line after a game and JoVa had just signed my yearbook, and i looked at it and check out the sig..well I look up to see jhis g/f in the front seat and without thinking I look and my buddy Shuan and Say "JoVo's g/f is hot. And I think JovA might have heard me...yea I know, it ain't much of a story but it's all I got.

Ya know whats even as funny as that? I know his girlfriend. Her name is Misha.

I'd like to embarrassingly tell Staal his brother can kick his *edit*, then when he asks which one i'll say Andy Laad told me to say it and watch Staal fight for once. Justin and I will drink some beers and throw peanuts at them while they fight. Ok so it wouldn't be embarrassing but it would make for great video.

LMFAO!

So what are people's suggestions on getting meet and greets with players? I know hanging out after games for 2 hours they come out to sign stuff, but other than what are some secrets other than just being lucky enough to know someone?

So what are people's suggestions on getting meet and greets with players? I know hanging out after games for 2 hours they come out to sign stuff, but other than what are some secrets other than just being lucky enough to know someone?

Have drinks down on Glenwood South, eat dinner at Rey's or go watch a few RYHA mite games on Sat and Sun mornings at the local rinks.

Although I wouldn't be looking for autographs at this time since they're watching their kids.

Have drinks down on Glenwood South, eat dinner at Rey's or go watch a few RYHA mite games on Sat and Sun mornings at the local rinks.

Although I wouldn't be looking for autographs at this time since they're watching their kids.

Have drinks down on Glenwood South.

Anytime specifically? And do they have like a VIP section that I can't get to? Same with Carolina Alehouse?

My buddy got to drink out of the cup last year because he knew someone who knew someone close to the team so any thoughts help I appreciate it!

I remember seeing this happen. It was pretty funny! The ref had to get him unstuck!

Try MacGregor Ale House in South Cary. I was there last year with some buds watching the Canes play the Devils in Jersey. After many, many beers, and several hours later after the game, some of the Canes came into the bar.

We were totally astonished to see them there after a game they played in Jersey, but the bartender told us they were there quite often.

Took me awhile to find this thread!

Living in Goldsboro, the chances of me having an embarrassing moment with a Carolina Hurricane are about nil,but it happened! *and yes, Dee - it turned out the guy WAS Anson Carter!!!!!*

Anyway, I was stewarding at the huge dog shows (2300 and more entries each day) this weekend at the Jim Graham Bldg at the fairgrounds as part of my pre-application process for my judging license. During my lunch break sunday, I'm coming back down the huge middle aisle to get back to my ring to work and my eye gets caught by this black guy with the dreads. As I pass behind him my brain clicks and I get to the 4:00 back side of him and stop to check him out....

Now remember, I see the players on TV, not in person - or in their bio photos. So I'm looking at this guy and thinking, "Ok, their hair is right, the cheekbones look SO SO SO familiar... but is this... " and then I blanked out. No name. Well, all I could come up with was "Anton" and I KNEW that wasn't right! But then my brain locked. Now the minute I stopped, he turned around - not surprising for someone who makes his living by keeping his head on a swivel, and he sees me staring intently at him... and staring intently at him, and staring... I just could not STOP! I'm trying to figure out... is this the same face if you put a red helmet on top of it? does he LOOK like he has a hockey player's body? (and at that point I was cursing that danged Brind'Amour because no one looks like him and quite frankly, THIS guy was looking terribly ordinary in comparison. He's got the cutest little boy with him, and the longer I stare the less successful I'm getting at finding the name I want in my memory banks, but boy I can sure remember his life story.... I wanted to sidle up and ask, "You didn't just move here from Columbus, didja?" but then I still wouldn't know his name! grrrrr.

I finally gave up stalking him and returned to my ring where I promptly remembered: ANSON CARTER, YOU IDIOT! Well, anson is not the idiot, I AM THE IDIOT! but I still wasn't sure it would be him. ... Then when I get home, I'm telling my cousin my stalker story and happened to mention that 'not Anton' was watching the big English bulldog specialty at the show, and Kevin says - he's got a bulldog- I read it somewhere! Of course I shriek, IT WAS HIM! IT WAS ANSON! I SAW MY FIRST PLAYER!! and then collapsed into a bronchitis seizure and couldn't do anything other than choke or gasp and he left me to die, completely unimpressed. Here I am, older than dirt, and I'm choking to death over seeing a Cane at a dog show. sigh.

Now here is something even weirder - after meeting with Dee and Dallas, I'm driving on 70 on the west side of Clayton, and I'm pulling up behind two motorcycles, and one of the guys is wearing the exact same shirt that Anson was wearing at the dog show (I should know -I stared at the danged thing long enough!)and same jeans. and the guys on the motorcycles are both black, and they were wearing matching lime green/white/silver helmets. The bikes were fat tires, had lime green body paint but I had no clue as to the make from behind, but looked matching except that the tire tread was different on each. So now I have to wonder if Anson lives out on the east side, and has a matching pair of lime green motorcycles?

So either dog show dust effected my brain or 3/25 was my Anson Carter day.. apparently I was royally stalking him from dog show to Hwy 70 out for a bike ride! But the whole team is safe now - I'm back in Goldsboro and won't be in Raleigh again until the tailgate!