The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
StaalDaMan

What can you do about an obnoxious fan

any chance the guy was wearing a Weekes jersey and sat in section 108? If so, he did the same "effort" stuff all night long!!!!!! And I sat 5 rows ahead of him and could here the play by play. I just tried to ignore it the best I could.

I know, it's irritating. We were at the Hurricanes vs Flyers in December, and there was a whiny Flyers fan right behind us. She whined about every call, and every play, and my husband had to keep telling me it was okay, because I was very close to telling her to just shut up. Short of giving them a smack, I really don't think that you can do anything. Everyone is going to do their own thing. But it sure helps to vent!!!!!

any chance the guy was wearing a Weekes jersey and sat in section 108? If so, he did the same "effort" stuff all night long!!!!!! And I sat 5 rows ahead of him and could here the play by play. I just tried to ignore it the best I could.

Ha !!!!! I know they guy you are talking about... Black guy, Wearing a white Kevin Weeks jersey. I had to sit in that section as part of the ticket exchange. He was bothering the whole section. I knew it would be a long night listening to his nonsense so I just moved to another section. I have no problem at all with people cheering, but that guy was/is ridiculous. At first I thought it was the guy sitting in the row behind me. I kept turning around and then turned to say something, and saw that he was a couple of rows behind me. The man right behind me started laughing as he knew I was pissed, as was everyone sitting around that clown.

My parents sit in front of these women/girls that yell in a really irritating high pitch voice the entire game. Oh yea, they also yell at a player who apparently has the puck on the ice, but wha they do not realize is that player is actually on the bench!! I have their seats for this coming Friday night game and will take pain meds before hand!!!!!!

since my hearing is starting to go at the age of 26 i have decided to wear earplugs this season. i can't tell you how much it has made my hockey experience MORE enjoyable!!! it filters out all the crap talk from the ignorant people around me and it seems to filter out a lot of the background noise in the arena. i can also understand the announcers much better.

what it doesn't do is allow me to see through the village idiots who come halfway through the first period to find their seats while talking on their cellphones and corralling their brat kids at the same time. then you have to politely ask them to sit down repeatedly (it's was a 5 on 3 on us). they say something like, "try to be a little more considerate" and you laugh and kick them in the side of the head.

i mean, that works for me...

thai boxing round kicks and earplugs=more enjoyable hockey experience.

t

Oh gracious! It was the March 15th game against the Devils, I had received lower level seats between the blues as a birthday gift, and right beside me some guy is talking on his cellphone...the entire time! He wasn't just chatting, he was talking business. For the first two periods he was talking with what I assumed was a business associate. He finally left for the third and came back with only a few minutes left. It made me so mad! I just wish these obnoxious fans would come to a game with one goal and one goal only: to watch a hockey game.

I think it was the Anaheim game this year, about 5 seats down from us their was fan yelling at the canes bench the entire time trying to coach them and make sure he was heard, i went to the usher and told him to please talk to him next time he got up and started yelling during play, he starts coaching again, usher deals with it and he keeps his comments to himself for the rest of the game.

Just go tell the ushers that he/she is too distracting and they usually deal with it.

Here's what Mr. G and I do. Believe me: We've put up with our share of brutally annoying fans in the 23 seasons we've watched pro sports together! :twisted:

1) If that individual is near us, I make sure to stand up, turn directly to him/her, and look at him/her squarely in the eye. Given that I'm a 5'9" female who produces the mother of "death glares" as needed, that person usually gets our message to cut the offending behavior ASAP. :shock:

2) Should that not work (and it has 98 percent of the time for us) ... when there's a break in the action, one of us talks politely, gently, tactfully, but forthrightly with the individual in question, asking him/her to cease whatever he/she is doing that's offensive. (In general, whatever we find offensive is what fans around us do, too.)

3) If that person is truly dense and doesn't cease his/her bothersome behavior, one of us leaves our seat and pays a visit to the nearest usher, informing him/her of the offensive behavior that's taking away the enjoyment of the game for us, as well as for other fans in our section.

The only time I've had to invoke 3) was at Dodger Stadium in 1999. During a Dodgers-Giants game, an extremely drunk young male Dodger fan sitting four rows away from us kept hollering "Hey, Bonds! You s**k!" After hearing this freak screech that message nonstop throughout the first three innings of the game, Mr. G and I looked at the nearest usher ... as did at least 25 other fans. At the top of the fourth, two stadium ushers and an LAPD officer carted this jerk off from the stadium, to the cheers and applause of two entire stadium sections obviously fed up with his noise pollution.

Bottom line, StaalDaMan: You, as a paying customer at RBC, have as much a right to enjoy the game as much as that fan bellowing "Effort!" Don't hesitate to evoke rule 3) if 1) and 2) -- in that order -- don't work. Best of luck to you! 8)

Jan/GSBG

Yeah, sometimes i get this person who sites behind me in Tampa that does play-by-play.

Guy: "Vinny gets the puck, passes to Marty. Marty goes flying down the right side; Shoots from the point... save by Broduer. NJ clears the puck, Parise taken down by Andre Rot, no call!... ect." Its annoying, but i supose it could be worse. I don't think he know's hes talking outloud, but maybe he's learning to be a play-by-play announcer. Who knows haha

Ha !!!!! I know they guy you are talking about... Black guy, Wearing a white Kevin Weeks jersey. I had to sit in that section as part of the ticket exchange. He was bothering the whole section. I knew it would be a long night listening to his nonsense so I just moved to another section. I have no problem at all with people cheering, but that guy was/is ridiculous. At first I thought it was the guy sitting in the row behind me. I kept turning around and then turned to say something, and saw that he was a couple of rows behind me. The man right behind me started laughing as he knew I was pissed, as was everyone sitting around that clown.

Yes that was him. What an idiot!!! I should have moved like you did.

I think the key, fellow Caniacs, is to do something about it ... namely, telling your section's usher about the problematic person (PP). After all, it'd be hard to imagine the PP continuing his/her offending behavior after the usher has a face-to-face talk.

Just my two cents, from 2,650 miles to your west ... 8)

Jan/GSBG

I usually yell back at the person. It starts a rally, but when the whole section joins in and they see their outnumbered they eventually shut up or better yet out of embarrassment leave.

I usually yell back at the person. It starts a rally, but when the whole section joins in and they see their outnumbered they eventually shut up or better yet out of embarrassment leave.

Be careful about doing that, RM. You probably don't know the PP (problematic person), and you don't know if he/she is stark raving drunk or under the influence.

Besides, you are very likely to end up in a fistfight with the PP, a situation that'll get you and the other person banned from RBC by stadium security. Having watched numerous fistfights at hockey and baseball games over the last three decades, I know very well how ugly things can get in a hurry.

Keep your cool, my man. :!:

Jan/GSBG

Yes that was him. What an idiot!!! I should have moved like you did.

Hey I've seen that guy! We are in section 207/208 row A right above you guys. If I get to go to another game, I'll have to see if I can hear him from up there or not.