The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Shorties: "Get Out of Jail Free" Card?

Although it sounds good in theory, I think they stay in the box to sort of rub it in to the opposing players - like saying "you guys aren't good enough to score on us even with the man advantage." Having the penalized player coming out IMO will not make the game any more exciting, scoring a Shortie is the best way to boost a teams confidence. When I played I knew in my gut that we were going to win whenever my team deposited the bisquit in the basket while being a man down. It does something to the team sort of like when there is a fight.

Nah, I'm not liking that idea. The whole point of getting a powerplay is the fact that you have the man advantage, so you can be a little lax, defensively. If your rule was in place, there may be more shorthanded goals, but there'd be less powerplay goals.

Nah, I'm not liking that idea. The whole point of getting a powerplay is the fact that you have the man advantage, so you can be a little lax, defensively. If your rule was in place, there may be more shorthanded goals, but there'd be less powerplay goals.

Interesting take, IceFrog. I'm on the other side of that coin, I think it might force teams to tighten up (i.e., improve) their PPs.

Teams already get all kinds of noise from fans when their PP is not effective. I'm thinking that maybe magnifying the "shame" of giving up a shorty would lead to better execution by the team with the man advantage.

Well, let's look at it this way. A shorthanded goal is a benefit. All the PK really needs to do is kill off the two minutes.

Now, using his idea, the PP has to keep at least 1 defensemen back, for the chance of a PK rush for a shortie. This makes the PP essentially 4-on-4 hockey. All this idea does is weaken the powerplay.

And teams like the Canes, who spend all their time passing on the PP, would have one less person to pass to, thus having even less chance of finding an open shooting lane. Meanwhile, the PK just has to block shots and occassionally make it look like they're going for the shorthanded rush. It keeps the defensemen back until the 2 minutes are up.

A better idea for the NHL is to go back to making a guy stay in the box for all 2 minutes when someone scores. I'm pretty sure it used to be that way but I think it got changed durring the 80's and the Oilers dynasty. That will increase scoring.

A better idea for the NHL is to go back to making a guy stay in the box for all 2 minutes when someone scores. I'm pretty sure it used to be that way but I think it got changed durring the 80's and the Oilers dynasty. That will increase scoring.

Hmmm, I haven't looked it up, but I think not. I was a season-ticket holder in the early 70s (Philly) and to my knowledge the penalized player was "freed" after the opposition scored back then. I'll look around and see what I can find online...

I understand your concerns, IceFrog, but I don't think it would engender keeping a guy back. I think it would force the team with the advantage to set up in the offensive zone and control the play. We'd also see less dump-and-run tactics as they try to gain the zone (a pet peeve of mine -- if you can't carry the puck across the blue line when you're a man up, exactly when CAN you?).

TopShelf wrote:

Hmmm, I haven't looked it up, but I think not. I was a season-ticket holder in the early 70s (Philly) and to my knowledge the penalized player was "freed" after the opposition scored back then. I'll look around and see what I can find online...

Ok it was changed in 1957

1956-57 - Player serving a minor penalty allowed to return to Ice when a goal is scored by opposing team.

http://www.tmlfever.com/TheGame.html (Down at the bottom in rule changes.)

When I first heard of it being changed it was because of a dominant team so I guess it must have been Montreal since that was durring one of their streaks of 5 cups in a row.

You're thinking of the rule instituted because the Oilers were such a good 4-on-4 team that they'd take a coincidental penalty on purpose so they could play 4-on-4.