The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
old-time-hockey-2

They Should Be Ashamed

If you read Rob123xyz's post he says that we should trade Staal for another goalie. I heard someone else say on this thread that they should trade Cole too.

they are just the opinions of the people

unless there is an actual article [newspaper, internet, etc.] its prob. not true

they wont be traded [at least for right now]

Dude, do you ever have anything positive to say?

The cheerleaders are still hot.

Thanks man, I have Mountain Dew in my sinuses now. :lol: :lol:

Since everyone is suggesting a huge trade, I will make a logical suggestion.

Erik Cole.

Please, start throwing the stats at me now because I know they will come. But, Erik Cole really disappoints me. I know he is coming off of a horrible neck injury, but I am really tired of seeing him get once a game opportunities in front of the net, and not finishing. Sure he has had some amazing goals, but it seems like when we really need, he doesn't even get a shot off. I think we could get some good blueline talent if we give up Cole. I know that no one likes to see people traded, but sometimes it HAS TO HAPPEN.

Are you an idiot?

Here's one thing not many people understand, and apparently you are of them.

Cole is a 1 in a million player.

Briere of the Sbres is a great skater and is really fast, like Cole. But Cole has one thing over him, strength. Cole is hard to stop when he gets going, which is why last season he had drawn 6 penalty shots. There are very few player who can play like Cole. He's tough and a vital player to our offense.

You make the complaint that he doesn't fininsh. Who on this team has finished a lot this year? Not many. Besides, its hard to finish a goal in front of the net when your being cross-checked.

If I were to honestly trade a player, I'd choose Grahme because if anyone doesn't play to his potential, its him. He's over 6' but goes down to easy. He plays deep in his crease. He also plays the puck and causes turnovers (that sometimes result in the opposition scoring) when the defenseman was there to play it. He's a great goalie, but he makes mistakes when he shouldn't.

Would I actually trade him though? No. Like I said , he's great goalie and is a great back-up to have.

Cole is a 1 in a million player??? PLEASE tell me that is a joke. Cole is a good player, but not one in a million. I would count Wayne Gretzky as a one in a million player, and you are putting Erik Cole in that category when he is not even the best player on our team. Now, you tell me who the idiot is.

Good idea, I still think they should trade Cole for solid blue-line help. We have plenty of forwards who are capable of making plays, but we are very short on D-men. Right now, I don't think trading Grahame would do a lot, except get rid of a pretty good backup goaltender.

teams have to rebuild sometime and trades are part of how you do it, can't keep the same players forever

Ask How many Bruins saw Joe getting free tickets to the West Coast in the middle of a season... I know for different reasons but still if that could happen anything can.

In my opinion, any off season trades should focus on the defense, not the offense. All season long, the defense has been ineffective against minimal pressure and only when they step up their game does our offense flourish. Why? Because a good offense always starts with a sound defense and the ability to serve the puck up for a scoring opportunity. We've had problems all year clearing out of our zone and when our offense moves the puck into the opponent's zone, our D has not beenable to hold the puck in during critical plays. A sharp outlet pass has been a rarity all year and our PP has had way too many chances nullified when our point men let the most basic puck cycles get past them.

We've had an abundance of D men all year, but nobody that really stands out as being really top notch and consistent day in and day out. I really hope to see this addressed next year.

The shooters definitely need to work on their shootout/breakaway skills. They've all looked weak and not very creative all year. I love Cam and think he is a future superstar, but he really needs to focus on blocking shots in the shootout scenario. Right now he's too quick to react. He should take a page from Gerber who was really pretty good at waiting out the attacker and letting them commit first. Those five shootout points would sure come in handy right now.

Whether it's defense or offense that gets shaken up though, something will have to happen. The Jeckyll/Hyde personna of this team is just too inconsistent to go forward with. JR was trying to preserve last year's chemistry, but the experiment has just not worked out.

Okay, so I have sat idle for a few weeks since I discovered this board and read the topics and posts. I finally had to jump in for this one.

What exactly should they be ashamed of? Should the hurricanes be a ashamed that they go out there broken and battered for 82 games. They play for us every night, this is their life. We built a following but they built the team.

Last season we were built for the "new NHL", Rutherford had prepared a stellar team. They had speed, accuracy, endurance, strength, and power. We had a rock in net who could make himself ten feet tall and bulletproof. A captain who would make things happen when it seemed like all was lost, and lead from the trenches with unquestionable fire. We had a couple of guys who weren't quite rookies, but not yet veterans who were able to fly under the radar in the lock-out and come back with new skills that no one had seen before. To top it all off, even our worst guys weren't as bad as some of the "stars" on other teams. Last year we were picked to finish almost dead last. But few other teams were ready to play the game that we brought with us.

This is a whole new season, teams have had time to prepare for us. They have seen what Williams, Cole, Staal, Brind'amour, Whitney, Ward and every one else could do. There is a reason why we are fighting for a playoff spot, everyone else brought their "A" game too. Look at the teams out west, how many games separate the teams with a playoff berth and those without. Then look at the teams in the east all playing the same kind of Hockey!!! We are not that bad!!!

Our team doesn't need a drastic trade in the offseason, the need the unity and leadership they had last year. We have young defensemen this year. Other than Wesley and Hedican (when they are not injured)our guys are kids or inexperienced where they are at. As for the Jack Johnson trade, he didn't want to play for us. Deal with it, the last thing the hurricanes needed was a bad attitude in the locker room.

On to the goaltender, Cam is a level headed, quick and talented kid. However he barely played before the playoffs last season and while he brought the cup home for us, he does not have the overall experience to carry a team on his shoulders for a whole season. Specifically when the core of our defensemen are as inexperienced as they are.

On to our fowards, if they could stay healthy we would be golden. Thanks to all of the injuries this year, the lines that were so succesful for us last year were unable to be consistent. With Brind'amour nursing a couple of annoying injuries (while continuing to play mind you), Stillman being out most of the season, Cole being hurt every couple of weeks, and other random nagging injuries to other players, it has been fairly difficult to bring it to other teams like last year.

EVERYNIGHT THESE GUYS PLAY THE GAME FOR US, THEY PLAY FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIR TEAM. ACCEPT THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF REASONS WHY THIS SEASON IS NOT LAST SEASON. IF YOU DON'T THINK THEY HAVE AT THE VERY LEAST EARNED OUR SUPPORT, I WOULD BE VERY HAPPY TO DEBATE THAT WITH THOSE OF YOU WHO DISGREE. THEY HOWEVER HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF. THIS IS MY TEAM AND WIN OR LOSE I WILL BE THERE TO THE END.

Williams comes to mind as a timely goal scorer. Whitney scores so often that I think he could be considered a clutch goal scorer. I am just suggesting a trade, I don't know why everyone seems to avoid trading anyone. Cole could be given up for a blue-liner who could anchor our D. Cole is not an offensive machine who scores every time he shoots. He isn't on the ice at the end of the game like Williams, Whitney, Brind'Amour, Staal, even LaRose and Ladd lately. We have plenty of forwards who can step up and fill in for him next year if he was traded. We could even trade for a decent forward AND a solid blue-liner if Cole was given up.

Not to totally belabor the point, but you confirmed what I thought. The whole thing is based on your perception and even facts and stats that counter it are ignored. You think Williams is a timely goal scorer and that Whitney must be too since he scores so much. Do you know who the top 3 goal scorers for Canes are on an average goals/game basis?

1. Williams

2. Cole

3. Whitney

Stats are never the full story, nor do they dictate rosters, but for you to keep ignoring key, relevant ones tells me either you just don't like Cole or you are just winging it. Perhaps both.

I'm not opposed to trades so long as it helps the team. You say trading Cole for a top-end D-man makes the team better. Ok, so please elaborate....

Which blueliners would you target?

Who would replace Cole's speed on the Staal line?

Who would replace Cole's work as the most effective forechecker?

Who would be the new power forward for the team?

Who will come in and score goals/game at a top 3 pace for a team that was shut out 8-9 times this year?

How would the salary cap be impacted positively or negatively?

See the point? Saying trading Cole for _________ and claiming it improves the team without taking the above questions and more into account is just winging it. Maybe I'm wrong and you have good answers to those questions. If so, please share them.

Williams comes to mind as a timely goal scorer. Whitney scores so often that I think he could be considered a clutch goal scorer. I am just suggesting a trade, I don't know why everyone seems to avoid trading anyone. Cole could be given up for a blue-liner who could anchor our D. Cole is not an offensive machine who scores every time he shoots. He isn't on the ice at the end of the game like Williams, Whitney, Brind'Amour, Staal, even LaRose and Ladd lately. We have plenty of forwards who can step up and fill in for him next year if he was traded. We could even trade for a decent forward AND a solid blue-liner if Cole was given up.

Not to totally belabor the point, but you confirmed what I thought. The whole thing is based on your perception and even facts and stats that counter it are ignored. You think Williams is a timely goal scorer and that Whitney must be too since he scores so much. Do you know who the top 3 goal scorers for Canes are on an average goals/game basis?

1. Williams

2. Cole

3. Whitney

Stats are never the full story, nor do they dictate rosters, but for you to keep ignoring key, relevant ones tells me either you just don't like Cole or you are just winging it. Perhaps both.

I'm not opposed to trades so long as it helps the team. You say trading Cole for a top-end D-man makes the team better. Ok, so please elaborate....

Which blueliners would you target?

Who would replace Cole's speed on the Staal line?

Who would replace Cole's work as the most effective forechecker?

Who would be the new power forward for the team?

Who will come in and score goals/game at a top 3 pace for a team that was shut out 8-9 times this year?

How would the salary cap be impacted positively or negatively?

See the point? Saying trading Cole for _________ and claiming it improves the team without taking the above questions and more into account is just winging it. Maybe I'm wrong and you have good answers to those questions. If so, please share them.

IMHO Cole is not part of the problem on this team but part of the solution

Also what is being ignored by the original poster is

COLE IS HURT and has been for about 20 games.

Also he had a broken bone in his vertebrae, should he be allowed to struggle with 26 goals.

Some lesser type players would retire with the risk of injury that Cole will live with for the rest of his playing days and life.

We need to address Defense through free agency or the draft.

Not by trading one of the best players on the team

If he wants to be upset at someone who appears to be off a lot or unerachiveing from last year, just look at Eric Staal. (yes Im going to get flamed but I do not care)

He should have played better this year. Maybe he overachieved last year in the season and playoffs but has underachieved in this year.

With Staals talent I expect 80-85 points and maybe 35-40 goals. He is not going to get either this year unless he goes off in the last 5 games and I hope for our sake he tries to prove me wrong.

Good idea, I still think they should trade Cole for solid blue-line help. We have plenty of forwards who are capable of making plays, but we are very short on D-men. Right now, I don't think trading Grahame would do a lot, except get rid of a pretty good backup goaltender.

Very short on D-men, you sure about that. Some games we have 3 D-men sitting in the pressbox. Don't think were short. Since 3 have been sitting in the pressbox you must have forgotten who we have, so here ya go: Kaberle, Commie, Wesley, Hedican, Wallin, Gleason, Hutch, Seidenberg, Tanabe, and Babchuk.

Wesley and Hedican will probably retire.

Tanabe will be the only D-man that will need a contract. So say we loose these 3 we will have: Kaberle, Commie, Wallin, Gleason, Hutch, Seidenberg, and Babchuk.

Still not short on D. Now are they great D-man, no. But that's when you take the money your saving from Wesley and Hedican and put that money towards another defenseman.

We are short at center IMHO. So if you trade Cole, I would rather get a center in return. Perferably a center who can also play wing (someone like Cullen). Trading Cole for a defenseman is NOT going to help you fill in the missing piece of loosing Cole.

I think why most are jumping down your throat about trading Cole is because you haven't really justified trading him. The reasons you are given can be said for our whole Top 9 just about.

You will never hear me do this at a game, and I am ashamed to do it now. But I felt that it needed to be done so that someone in the organization knows how I feel about the last two games. Ok, I have not done this much in my life so I am not sure how it is going to sound. Ok, I think I got it, I think I know how it goes. Well here we go................... BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

While I don't think we should trade Cole (nor do I think we will), I can see where they're coming from. Cole's amazing. He's got enough speed to break by the defense and score, when he's fully healthy.

However, like some have stated, Cole hasn't been healthy all season. You can tell he's not as fast as he once was, and that's all Cole really had. He doesn't have the body, and he doesn't have the defensive talent to be that kind of forward, so he's relied on his speed.

Cole is a 1 in a million player??? PLEASE tell me that is a joke. Cole is a good player, but not one in a million. I would count Wayne Gretzky as a one in a million player, and you are putting Erik Cole in that category when he is not even the best player on our team. Now, you tell me who the idiot is.

Cole should be in that category. Can he pass and shoot as good as Gretzky? NO. But Cole can plow through the defense better than Gretzky.

Gretzky was a center, not a power forward. The position and roles are different. Centers get more points, but power forwards are harder to play against because of their speed and strength. And it's hard to find a player as fast and as strong as Cole in this leauge.