The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

ESPN: Hurricanes and Oilers were a fluke

Who is Damien Cox? Anyone remember seeing him lace up the skates for either team last season? I don't remember seeing him take a check, dishing out an assist or stopping 20+ shots a game. He's a sportswriter so, who gives a flip what he thinks?

Yea ofcourse we're flukes. I mean c'mon we won the division and got the 2nd seed instead of the 3rd. We almost sweeped the devils while they had a huge momentum shift. We had a hard fought battle against the sabres and took on the oilers very well. Yea ofcourse we're flukes, we had the cup handed to us.

sarcasm ofcourse.

Lord Stanley is the hardest trophy to get. Its a battle from day 1 all the way to the end. Any team that wins it is NOT a fluke.

ESPN thinks Poker is a sport need I go further.

And ESPN can stick it well there are young'uns that read these boards so I just better stop right there.

Hypothetical question: I'm not sure how many FAs Buffalo will have, but assuming they are not able to re-sign them all (which they surely won't be able to) and they fall a bit next year, will they be a fluke?

Or better example: the Atlanta Thrashers. Someone posted on here a while ago a list of teams and their players, how long they're signed for and for how much, etc. Atlanta will be losing a majority of their team to FA, so if they hold on to the division and then take a nose dive to normality (for them) next season will they be a fluke? This Damien Cox guy apparently got too used to seeing every single player being back for a team and doesn't think it's possible that some teams can break up.

Tampa Bay struggled to make the playoffs the year after they won it all. They're sort of struggling again this year. The league parity is so even that a team needs to expend enormous effort and energy and play through pain and sacrifice and blah blah blah... Some players may not have it in them to make the sacrifice year after year. Thus, I doubt we'll ever see a dynasty again in the style of the the Oilers in the 80's, Islanders in the 70's, and Montreal before that.

I know it will be view as an excuse but we havent been healthy all year and that has to have an impact Stiller and Kaberle are still not 100% and everyone knew the full season would be tough on Cam he is still young but we were not a fluke we were solid from start to finish last year. Unfortunatly if we don't make the playoffs thats what will be said look out next year we will be back.

]
ESPN just called Staal a winger. :roll:

shows how much they know..

haha

I never listen to ESPN about hockey...i save that for FSN and Versus :-D

I listen to anything and everything Barry Melrose says

]
ESPN just called Staal a winger. :roll:

shows how much they know..

haha

I never listen to ESPN about hockey...i save that for FSN and Versus :-D

I listen to anything and everything Barry Melrose says

okay...well i dont really rely on them, thats all im saying

Remember the Jones article last year about how there were no 'Canes fans in the Triangle? This is from the same organization, why should it surprise you? Honestly, the whole "fluke" thing is about the lamest insult in the book because it's referring to a good season a team had and can be proud of, winning for even one year is better than being a cellar-dweller...we won the Cup, and that's all that matters. I don't think the fans either here or in Edmonton will have their memories of the last postseason tarnished by someone calling them a fluke.

As for the hockey side of it...it's called parity. We were able to win last year because we were a fast team and many others weren't...this year, more teams have adjusted. We lost some guys, the chemistry might not quite be right, we had the shortest time off of any team. "Fluke" means that a team of perpetual losers had one good season. That's obviously not the case here. In nine seasons in Carolina, we've had four playoff appearances, three division titles, two conference titles, and a Stanley Cup. That's not bad. We're also in the running again this year, even with some of our struggles. And we all know the tradition that's been established up in Edmonton; they have the most Cups of any non-O6 team, if my memory serves me correctly. No one is in any kind of position to call either team's run last season a fluke.

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :!:im deffinately complaining to him, that pisses me off, did he watch us play last season, we had an AMAZING team! so what this season we're not doing good, that's THIS season, not LAST season. we were dffinately not flukes!!! :evil: :twisted: