The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

What it Means

As the Canes closed in on the Cup last year, NC got its first taste of something that many of us transplanted Northerners have known about for a long time: Cup Fever.

Nice post but let's not forget that we reached the Cup finals in 2002 where Cup Fever was alive and well. Last year was the sequel.

As the Canes closed in on the Cup last year, NC got its first taste of something that many of us transplanted Northerners have known about for a long time: Cup Fever.

Nice post but let's not forget that we reached the Cup finals in 2002 where Cup Fever was alive and well. Last year was the sequel.

Point taken, cheapseats, although it prompts two points of my own: (1) Look at population numbers and how they've changed in the immediate Raleigh area in just those few years (they say CARY is actually short for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees!); and (2) I think last year lifetime locals were more interested than in '02 because '02 finally got their attention. Now that they're paying more attention -- and come from a winning hoops tradition -- they are having a hard time understanding how the Canes can be doing so "poorly."

I'll paraphrase something I posted in another thread yesterday: As a lifelong hockey fan, I personally think it is amazing that they're still in the hunt, given the inconsistency of their play, the injuries, the Cup hangover, and the fact that the transition Ward is trying to make -- from playoff hero to season-long #1 -- is maybe the toughest to make in all of sports.

Awesome post Top. I think at times we can all forgot what these guys are going through or have gone through. The stanley cup is the hardest trophy to get in all sports. Just look at Brindy, Wesley, Hedican and Weight. They played for how many years before they were finally able to hoist that.

And for those that say they just don't care anymore since they won it, that is so far from the truth. You don't think these guys wanted to be the first team since the 90s to clinch back to back.

And believe me we will not be the last team to not make the playoffs after winning the cup. Parity is a good thing, but its not gonna make it any easier for teams to get in.

ok, I have 2 points too.

1) There were PLENTY of yankees in Cary in '02

2) The run in '02 was, in some ways, a higher grade of Cup Fever. If you weren't here, people around here went pretty ga-ga. There were signs hanging from buildings large and small, Street signs, signs on cars. We had the Mayberry thing going and that was pretty neat. Tailgating was discovered and embraced. Jeff O'Neil had the black eye. Dumb and Dumber were in full bloom. That was when we became 'the loudest house in the NHL". It truely was "us against the world". The win in game one against the Wings (thanks again Ronnie) was amazing, the overtime loss in game 3 ripped the heart out of all of us. I don't think that many thought that we could actually beat the Wings that year and knowing that the Whalers had never gotten close to the finals, most thought that going to the Cup Finals might very well be a once in a lifetime event and treated it as such.

I have always thought that NHL Hockey arrived in the area the year that we lost to the Devils in the playoffs. In '02, a love affair began and hockey replaced college basketball as the #1 sport for many in the Triangle. In '06, well ..... all hell broke loose and Raleigh became a real Hockey Town.

We are still a hockey town. That is not going to go away. Personally I cared much more about the playoff race this year than I did about either the ACC Tournament or the NCAA. I am very disappointed with the play of the Canes this year but I , like most, will renew my season tickets for next season and will expect the Hurricanes to be competitive at a high level. I am hoping that the team will come back with most of the same players with some help from new faces. I think that the first order of business is to get Whithey and Walker re-signed (I'm not sure of Ladd's contract status) and go from there.

ok, I have 2 points too.

2) The run in '02 was, in some ways, a higher grade of Cup Fever. If you weren't here, people around here went pretty ga-ga. There were signs hanging from buildings large and small, Street signs, signs on cars. We had the Mayberry thing going and that was pretty neat. Tailgating was discovered and embraced. Jeff O'Neil had the black eye. Dumb and Dumber were in full bloom. That was when we became 'the loudest house in the NHL". It truely was "us against the world". The win in game one against the Wings (thanks again Ronnie) was amazing, the overtime loss in game 3 ripped the heart out of all of us. I don't think that many thought that we could actually beat the Wings that year and knowing that the Whalers had never gotten close to the finals, most thought that going to the Cup Finals might very well be a once in a lifetime event and treated it as such.

I have always thought that NHL Hockey arrived in the area the year that we lost to the Devils in the playoffs. In '02, a love affair began and hockey replaced college basketball as the #1 sport for many in the Triangle. In '06, well ..... all hell broke loose and Raleigh became a real Hockey Town.

We are still a hockey town. That is not going to go away. Personally I cared much more about the playoff race this year than I did about either the ACC Tournament or the NCAA. I am very disappointed with the play of the Canes this year but I , like most, will renew my season tickets for next season and will expect the Hurricanes to be competitive at a high level. I am hoping that the team will come back with most of the same players with some help from new faces. I think that the first order of business is to get Whithey and Walker re-signed (I'm not sure of Ladd's contract status) and go from there.

got a good point there.

Thanks for the history lesson, cheapseats, and I mean that sincerely, b/c I was NOT yet living here in '02.

I'm with you on what's needed, hoping the Brindy retirement talk that surfaced a few weeks back is a lot of hot air and that Whitney can hang around too. Signing Walker should be a top priority, and I'd really like to see Seidenberg get a contract. D-men who can pinch like he can and even step up onto an offensive line if necessary are rare as hen's teeth. Combine that with his physicality and I think he has the potential to become a real anchor in the back end.

I disagree. I think signing Whitney should be top choice. Not to bash Walker, but I think Whitney's got an edge over him. Walker's a forward and an enforcer, and we've alredy got that in Ladd.

I do agree with S-berg though. Maybe if he hadn't sat on the bench for so long, our situation may be different right now.

North Carolina is one state not two.

I hate the fact that the teams are called "Carolina Hurricanes" or "Carolina Panthers".

South Carolina, get your own teams!

Except the teams are for both states. South Carolina higher-ups and North Carolina higher-ups both rallied for the Panthers. And in fact, the Panther logo is actually the two states put together.

As for the Canes, when they traveled with the Cup, they brought it to South Carolina as well, claiming they "were the "Carolina" Hurricanes, not the "Raleigh" Hurricanes".

Thanks for the history lesson, cheapseats, and I mean that sincerely, b/c I was NOT yet living here in '02.

My pleasure, it actually brought back a lot of wonderful memories thinking about it. You might try to get your hands on the "Raising Canes" DVD. It is the season recap of '02. Great stuff.

I agree on Seidenberg, I never understood why he didn't play more. I am still hoping that Wesley comes back for one more. Down the stretch, I thought that our defense was excellent until Wesley went out.

It should be an interesting summer.

Go Canes

ok, I have 2 points too.

'02 was when i got hooked as a STH and have been one since. that year was really something special that '06 can't touch. hockey jersey's on all the statues downtown (without some redneck trying to cut them off), the whole mayberry thing, i was out in the parking lot for Game 3 and some of our folks were BBQ'ing octopus with ton's of texas pete, and i remember the game most of thought would never end. got home at 2am that night. not to take away anything from '06, '02 was really special - we were winning games we were not suppose to, we were down one game by three goals with two minutes left and tied it sending it to overtime where we won. I didn't think we could take 4 from Detroit but the look on everyone's face in Joe Louis arena when we won game one was priceless - 18k strong all with that *edit* just happen look on their faces. and i could be wrong but i think it was louder in '02.

I disagree. I think signing Whitney should be top choice. Not to bash Walker, but I think Whitney's got an edge over him. Walker's a forward and an enforcer, and we've alredy got that in Ladd.

I do agree with S-berg though. Maybe if he hadn't sat on the bench for so long, our situation may be different right now.

It will be interesting to see what Whitney will sign for next season. Im not sure he will be in a Canes uniform next year, which would be disappointing. As for Walker, I think right now he has edge on Ladd. I just hope we are able to keep both Whitney and Walker.

Excellent post, Top. :thumbup:

I moved to the Raleigh area just in time to catch our run in '02, and will never forget that time or us winning the Stanley Cup last year. I think that's what I'm going to miss most this year, that whole "playoff fever" that's difficult not to get caught up in. (Especially when you're the team that everyone else thinks shouldn't even be there.)

If we don't make the playoffs this year, so be it. To hear folk like ESPN, though, relate this to our winning the Stanley Cup last year a "fluke" is something else. Sure, it stinks to be one of the few teams to win the cup and not make it to the playoffs the following year, but for anyone who witnessed our guys run to the playoffs (and then the Cup) last year, that was definitely no fluke. It's like rubbing salt in our wounds to read something like that now. :x

Awesome post Top! I know the feeling I get when I see a team of mine raises the Stanley Cup over their heads, so I can't even imagine how it feels to be one of those players who has the honor to do so. I am glad the Canes have already won the Stanley Cup once and I know it will happen again eventually, so I will just patiently cheer them on until it happens again for them.

Great post topshelf. And I agree with you. Born and raised in the south I didn't know much about hockey before the Hurricanes came to Greensboro. Just as cheepseat said it was the '02 season that sparked my interest. Again great post.