The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Why did we bring Babchuk back from Albany just to sit?

i really dont know why we brought him up.

but he is doing a good job at being a scratch.

:)

hehehehe thats funny

Everyone wanted him back...and now he is!

Probably back because there is only so much "developing" you can do in the minors. When he was getting time in the nhl, he showed that he can play at that level and since the roster limit is gone why not give him a chance to step in if needed. I imagine he looked like a man among boys in the AHL and that doesn't help you get better. Practicing with the big club and getting the chance to step in if there is another injury is much better for his development.

Plus there is the atmosphere of 'crunch time', the playoffs,and a Cup run. There is no substitution for experience and you cannot learn how to handle the special pressure inherent at these times if you are not part of it.

There is much written about the value of veterans, especially if they have been on cup-winning teams or play-off teams whether or not their skills are stellar. The guidance and emotional contribution they can make to a team, especially the youngsters, is priceless. They know the steadying and focus and balance required to ramp up for 'must win' situations.

Giving the up-and-comings a chance to be in this atmosphere - hell, ANYONE with career ambitions! - is invaluable whether or not they are getting any, or even just a little ice time.

I wouldn't give the guy ice time unless there was another injury to a defenseman. Our D has been playing better and better the last month or so, so I wouldn't change anything right now. We have a good thing going, I wouldn't appease any wants of Babchuk at this point, especially considering the recent fiasco.

God forbid.....but injuries haven't been kind to us this year.....having Babs is nice sleep insurance. I think the lines and pairings have been great of late so I'd not like to see any changes. The challenge of limited rosters is gone.....let as many as can be, see and feel the focus of the playoff situation.

As for the controversy with Babs.....let it go....it's over ....he's on our team. Now is the time for everyone to come together and pull in the same direction. I'm sure if JR and Saint Peter didn't see this as a positive, Babs would not be here.

And the comment about the young guys being around at this time is priceless.....you bet it is....look what they have done in the last couple games. I'm impressed with the whole lot of them (still watching replays to make sure that was Flash LaRose....lol). We haven't had this kind of play all year from the young guys....I think it's just this fact that is sinking in and speaks volumes of the leadership role of our veterans.

Neither Babchuck or Sidenburg will see the ice without some injuries. Unless the canes are out of the playoffs with a game or two left, and if they keep playing with passion like they have the last few games that won't be the case.

i really wish anton and dennis would see some ice time.

you don't want to put them in just for the sake of putting them in, now last year with the kind of lead we had in the Southeast Division it might have been doable. With every game being a do or die who would you sit out?? Gleason, Wallin, Wesley, Commie, Kaberle, Tanabe (can't believe i am saying that name but he has gained some respect)??

i would love to sit wes on the bench :?

i know he does us a world of good, he's the best we have at blocking shots...but i think iceberg would really be beneficial.

sure it's not "broke", so i'm not saying "fix it"...i'm saying...maybe polish it up a little bit :) give it a nice shine

Wesley is +10. Seidenberg is -11 and Babchuk is -6.

Stats aren't everything, but just off the top of my head I could put together a highlight reel of bad defensive zone coverage by Babchuk/Seidenberg resulting in goals against.

i really wish anton and dennis would see some ice time.

you don't want to put them in just for the sake of putting them in, now last year with the kind of lead we had in the Southeast Division it might have been doable. With every game being a do or die who would you sit out?? Gleason, Wallin, Wesley, Commie, Kaberle, Tanabe (can't believe i am saying that name but he has gained some respect)??

Exactly, there's way too much continuity and chemistry in our defensive pairings right now, especially with Wallin and Gleason as Tripp Tracy has pointed out ad nauseam. Babs would probably be the first one in if one of our top six were to go down.

Babs was chosen to be sent down because he didn't have to go thru waivers, and he had a two-way (majors/minors) contract. While in Albany he was paid at the minor league rate. I expect he was brought back when the rosters expanded after the trade deadline and now he can be paid once again at his NHL level. So better for him. Doesn't hurt that he is also available for injury replacement, which I hope we don't need.

OK.... I still don't get it.

Saw some posts that he was here in case of injury. Well, Glenn is injured and he is still sitting. We can recall someone and he could be here in a few hours, so this can't be the reason.

Another post was that he was sent down so he could experience a playoff run, which does not make sense as why would they send him down in the first place.

I am just wondering if he is here because he was pouting in Albany and they did not want someone with a bad attitude rubbing off on other prospects.....

I still don't get it.