The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
whalecanes

A cure for our dissmal power play for next year.

I like the idea too.

Wesley makes more and more mistakes and gets slower and slower.

Hedican is becoming prone to injuries.

Tanabe.........I guess we had this discussion.

I like the idea too.

Seriously...this again? :roll:

I like the idea too.

Seriously...this again? :roll:

What mistakes? The guy has been playing probably longer than you've been alive and he's still one of the most consistent players we have. Not to mention he currently leads the team at +11. :?

Keep dreaming. I like Souray and wish he would come here, but he won't. Its already been rumoured that he's either going to re-sign with Montreal or move out to CA as his ex-wife is pregnant with their 2nd child.

So no chance in hell we get him.

I have a great solution...

how about signing someone who can actually quarterback the powereplay :roll:. That might just solve the whole problem.

how about signing someone who can actually quarterback the powereplay :roll:. That might just solve the whole problem.

What mistakes? The guy has been playing probably longer than you've been alive and he's still one of the most consistent players we have. Not to mention he currently leads the team at +11. :?

Unless he was born with skates on his feet you are wrong about the age.

I really don't care about +/- stats, I have my opinion and you have yours.

I think he should hang em up after this season and not make the mistake other guys before him made and think he has enough in the tank left for another season.

Unless he was born with skates on his feet you are wrong about the age.

I really don't care about +/- stats, I have my opinion and you have yours.

I think he should hang em up after this season and not make the mistake other guys before him made and think he has enough in the tank left for another season.

I think he's hanging them up, but I disagree on the slower and slower. I've seen him outskate some 20 some year olds. One comes to mind, playing pittsburgh, about to be icing on the canes Wesley and Colby Armstrong racing down the ice. Wesley wins. :D

But yeah I don't see him or Hedican coming back next year. So we need to sign a defenseman, but it won't be Souray.

Hedican will more than likely retire at season's end. He's been riddled with problems that almost forced retirement a couple years ago. Wesley will also hang them up. I don't fully agree with his assestment, though I've seen him take more penalties this season than in seasons past with the Canes.

That leaves us with Tanabe, Wallin, Gleason, Commodore, Babchuk, Hutchinson, Kaberle. Don't know Seidenberg's status.

Tanabe will probably get re-signed in the off-season. He has not played that bad. He was not meant to be a 17-20 minute a game d-man, but with recent injuries, he's been pressed into service. He was brought in as our "seventh" d-man.

Now, as far as the PP. I think a new scheme is in order. I've watch a lot of other teams and how they work their PP. Other teams, there is a lot of movement, not just the puck, but players as well our always moving. Maybe park Babchuk or Commodore down in front of the net.

He is slow, no doubt. Mistakes? They all make them, but Wesley is the BEST we have at recovering from them. He seems to be always in the right spot to block the shot or pass. At $1.2M, if we can sign him for that again, it's a bargain -- far better than the bust Kaberle has been at nearly twice that amount.

That is my entire point here. Sign Souray to QB the top pp line then come back with Kaberle for the #2 unit.

We have 9 DMen right now, I agree that we should "unload" a few for one really good defenseman.... Basically would like to see Quality over quantity. However, I this probabaly would never happen as we need to free up money just to sign Whitney next year.

We do have A LOT of young d-men that could be capable in a few years, but we don't have time to wait for all of our young defensemen to mature. We need to go out and get one capable defensemen with a few years experience to anchor our defense. We also need to be patient with all of the young guys, they will eventually come into their own.

You say "re-sign Tanabe in the off season" !!!

WHY... just 'cause he helped Vinnie L score his 50th Friday night.

I doubt JR will resign #45.

I truely hope he remembers why he let him go in the first place.

He's a good skater but not a play maker, and not that good a defenseman; not if you help the best guy on the other tem score !

You say "re-sign Tanabe in the off season" !!!

WHY... just 'cause he helped Vinnie L score his 50th Friday night.

I doubt JR will resign #45.

I truely hope he remembers why he let him go in the first place.

He's a good skater but not a play maker, and not that good a defenseman; not if you help the best guy on the other tem score !

As he said in the game recap:

"As long as there is still an ounce of hope left we'll continue to play as if we have a chanced," said David Tanabe, who had the puck deflect off his stick and past Cam Ward for the final blow with 4:33 left as Vincent Lecavalier capped off his three-point night with his 50th goal.

"(Martin) St. Louis was on my back so I had to try to make a play on the puck. I can't just let it go to the net uncontested."

SO what's your point Tangled ?

Tanabe kept the puck away from St. Louis by helping put it in the net for Vinnie ?

Since he's only got a 1-year deal, I'd rather see him gone next year.

I like Tanabe's energy and effort, but he just doesn't seem to think past the immediate play, and that gets him into a position of creating problems.

Those "Oh-NO" reactions as soon as the puck leaves his stick.

SO what's your point Tangled ?

Tanabe kept the puck away from St. Louis by helping put it in the net for Vinnie ?

Since he's only got a 1-year deal, I'd rather see him gone next year.

I like Tanabe's energy and effort, but he just doesn't seem to think past the immediate play, and that gets him into a position of creating problems.

Those "Oh-NO" reactions as soon as the puck leaves his stick.

No, my point is that Tanabe wasn't TRYING to put it in for Vinny. My point is also that he probably has moved past it because HE isn't what lost the game so there is no need to dwell on it.

I am not so sure what your point is though because I doubt not resigning Tanabe will be the thing that fixes our power play