The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Anti-Meltdown Squad

]lets go `canes!!!!

we have to pull off a big win tomorrow against the rangers!!

do you think lavi will keep the same lines as he had last night

those lines actually seemed to work really well together

i hope he does :-D

On the lines -- I thought the Cole, Vasicek, Stillman line was an "interesting" combo...but, though they had nothing to show for it on the scoresheet, thought they played well together. Vasicek continues to work fairly well and hard in the offensive zone on the boards...I just wish he'd remember he's playing center and not wing and drift to the net more. Whatever line he's on, his positional play makes it look like we're playing three wingers. :roll:

RedStorm: right on. Vasicek was very impressive last night--he could have potted two goals, but that's how the puck flies sometimes. I was very happy to see him dominating faceoffs, too.

This thread definitely needs a bump. Remember guys, don't freak out if we start slipping in the playoff race this week. We're idle until Thursday, so there's nothing we can do until then. Of course, we may not slip at all, like the last time we had a break this long. Let's hope that happens again.

Definitely need to bump this. Things are getting out of control again. Things are going rough right now, but we're not dead yet. As crazy as it sounds, we can still win the division. It'll take some losing by Atlanta and Tampa Bay, but we play them in our last few games, so it's not totally out of our hands. If that fails, we've still got a wild card spot to look at. We'll get things back on track... we won't end the season like this.

More frustrating than the loss tonight, which was REALLY sad for me to see, was getting on here and seeing so many of those post-loss threads. I am not sure what happened to our boys between playing the Sharks and going to Toronto but we can't give up on this season. Even if we don't make the playoffs, we need to enjoy these last two weeks we have of this season.

To keep with the positive...Hutch got to play tonight!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh I plan on enjoying the hell out of however many games they wind up playing, whether they win or lose. I have tickets to the last three home games & I'm not gonna suffer too badly should they lose every game from here on out. Trust me. :wink:

Missed out on a charter membership to this group! Can I still get in for a discount.

The way I look at things, these losses may help us in the long run. We are going to have to play some great hockey to make it into the playoffs. The momentum that we will have going in will go a long way towards helping us succeed in the playoffs which the Canes are going to be a part of this season!!

I wouldn't put much hope in winning the division after tonight's loss. Long story short, it's unlikely we'll win the division unless both of our rivals crack.

Long story long, Atlanta will be tough to catch. Their next five games are vs. Toronto, at Boston, vs. Washington, at Carolina, and vs. Tampa. My guess is they'll take 5-7 points in that stretch because they'll run into 3 hungry teams, giving them 94-96 for the season. If they take more than 5, we mathematically can't catch them being 5 points back already.

Tampa, like us, plays their last five games against the division. They play at Carolina, vs. Washington, vs. Carolina, vs. Florida, and at Atlanta. They'll probably beat up on Florida and Washington and take 3 or 4 points total against us and Atlanta. Overall, they'll probably gain 7 or 8 points, finishing up with 93-94.

Our last five games are vs. Tampa, at Florida, at Tampa, vs. Atlanta, and vs. Florida. Chances are we'll take 3 or 4 points against Florida and 4 or 5 more total against Tampa and Atlanta since we're more desperate for points. All told we'll probably get 7-9 points if we work for them, putting us at 91-93. If we don't work, we're out... but I have faith that they will with the pressure bearing down on them.

However, the line for the playoffs will probably be drawn around 91 or 92 points, as in years past, meaning we'll probably need 7 or 8 just to get in. We're behind the 8 ball right now, but if the guys come out and play like they want it (i.e. like they did in the last 6 or 7 games before this week), we should land somewhere between 6 and 8 with the race being what it is.

Long story long, Atlanta will be tough to catch

Yup, & it doesn't help that when we have had the opportunity to make up some serious ground & win some good points when playing ATL for the last couple of games, we lose & can't get those much-needed points.

There's just no excuse for losing to Philly - and 5-1 to boot. The Canes have much more talent and much more to lose. And coming from the Toronto whupping, even the Philly Coach said he expected to have a tiger by the tail. What he got was a sleepy fat cat.

The ideal formula for a Stanley Cup winning team is a team full of hungry players who have not been there before, and a few (3-4) cagey old vets who have been. A team that has 12-14 guys who have just won the cup already just doesn't seem to be willing to put in the work ethic required - and it is a tough grind. Look at Stillman. Back to back cups with different teams. Yeah I know he's playing hurt, but he just doesn't look like he's even trying. Lavi should just scratch him and let him rest if he's too tired and sore to contribute. And Staal - no consistency. One night he's the superstar we know he can and should be, and the next night he's coasting, not backchecking, letting others do the digging for him. And now we're seeing unbelievable goaltending mistakes mixed in with great saves. No consistency anywhere.

I think they're emotionally beaten now - they don't believe they can pull it off. Even Brindy has gone cold - and he's the guy who's always had the strongest work ethic on the team. I truly suspect that there'll be a number of trades at the end of the season, and the Canes will come back rested and make a much better showing next year. Kevyn Adams will be back IMO. This year was a big dissapointment.