The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Babchuk's Future

Found this on another board. The article was posted back on March 28. Of course its not in English, but was translated. Thoughts?
I am not yet completely certain, what will happen to me come next season. This summer I become a restricted free agent. Then I will see, where to continue working. During the offseason I, as usual, will go home. And, most likely, sign a contract with an RSL club. I am not happy with the progression of my career in Carolina. I want to play, not to wear out my pants by sitting on the bench.

[1] http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?...0000100017&days =7&id=254781

I cant say I blame him. He played decent enough to get another shot after getting recalled IMHO.

Losing Babs would not be in our best interests for the future......sooner or later....hopefully sooner, Saint Peter and JR are going to understand this. As we see Wes and Hedican most likely retiring this season, we are going to need Dmen that can be developed. Babs would be high on that list ....IMHO.

I would like to see him stick around, even though I don't like his attitude. There have been players that have had to earn their spot on this team, and he seems to think it is his right to be in the lineup.

Lets hope they WAKE UP before we loose a good player with alot of potential

More accurately, let's hope Babchuk wakes up before he squanders his career. Three separate incidents with his last three teams don't bode well for him.

You have to trust your teammates, especially on the blueline, and he has shown he looks out for only #48. That doesn't endear you management of your teammates. Forget the immaturity and language barrier, he needs to act like a professional, grow up and perform on the ice.

So the managers and coaches need to wake up and listen to his tantrums and put him on the ice so he doesn't leave? That's kinda ridiculous, no? Yes, Babchuk will probably grow to be an amazing defenseman that we could use on our team, but one person doesn't make a team and he is out there for himself obviously. He probably wouldn't be benched right now if it weren't for his last tantrum when getting sent to Albany. Don't want to say it's his fault...but he made his bed.

What killed me with Babs was i thought he should have never been sent down,everyone knows my feelings about Frank K, whom if he wasn;t healthy should not be tying up a roster spot,Brett is injured so much he could have been put in the IR alot sooner,the coaches and managment overdid their loyalties to someplayers from last year and it may have hurt the development of one of out best young prospects.I hope they are able to get things straight with Babs and bring him back here to PLAY next year.

What killed me with Babs was i thought he should have never been sent down,everyone knows my feelings about Frank K, whom if he wasn;t healthy should not be tying up a roster spot,Brett is injured so much he could have been put in the IR alot sooner,the coaches and managment overdid their loyalties to someplayers from last year and it may have hurt the development of one of out best young prospects.I hope they are able to get things straight with Babs and bring him back here to PLAY next year.

Given his play he is correct, where i think he had issues and couldn't understand is that he was the only d-man with a two way contract. at that point in time if hutch or tanabe had a two way deal then they would have been sent. something tells me that babs won't sign a two way deal again.

Babchuk is never going to amount to much in the NHL he'll be lucky if he ever gets on the regular season NHL ice again. It baffles me how some can sit here and watch him play and talk about what a great defensemen he is going to be someday. I think that people see a few lucky instances and take that as "potential". He can't skate, can't shoot, can't pass, can't play defense. He's young but if he can't do those things reasonably now, he'll never be able to do it good enough in the NHL. I don't think mediocre players come to the NHL and become great players.

Also there are more people in the world that can fill potential spaces left open by Hedican and/or Wesley.

Given his play he is correct, where i think he had issues and couldn't understand is that he was the only d-man with a two way contract. at that point in time if hutch or tanabe had a two way deal then they would have been sent. something tells me that babs won't sign a two way deal again.

For what it's worth all entry-level contracts, which he was on, have a two-way provision. Ladd has one and so does Cam Ward so it wasn't an option when he signed.

As far as his play on the ice, I honestly don't know why people didn't see that it was more than just his contract status that got him demoted. He did play well for the early part of the season but, like Siedenberg did too, he had a major decline before getting time in the press box.

He was bad, with something like a -10 in his last 15 games. That is horrible yet he wouldn't acknowledge it and felt he had earned the right to stay with his earlier play. When you aren't established it's "what have you done for me lately?" and what he had done was stink up the ice. Hopefully watching and practicing will help him like it has Seidenberg the past couple of games.

Babchuk is never going to amount to much in the NHL he'll be lucky if he ever gets on the regular season NHL ice again. It baffles me how some can sit here and watch him play and talk about what a great defensemen he is going to be someday. I think that people see a few lucky instances and take that as "potential". He can't skate, can't shoot, can't pass, can't play defense. He's young but if he can't do those things reasonably now, he'll never be able to do it good enough in the NHL. I don't think mediocre players come to the NHL and become great players.

Also there are more people in the world that can fill potential spaces left open by Hedican and/or Wesley.

Can't shoot, can't skate? Have you ever watched him play? He has a hard shot and is skating better. (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=PlayerDeta...65&service=page Watch the recent video). He's also very sound defensively and can actually clear the zone, unlike some of our other D-men.

Can't shoot, can't skate? Have you ever watched him play? He has a hard shot and he can deke better than Staal (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=PlayerDeta...65&service=page Watch the recent video). He's also very sound defensively and can actually clear the zone, unlike some of our other D-men.

Come on now, you sound like his agent. He has a hard shot which does no good at all as long as it is so wild. Like a power pitcher who can't throw strikes what does it get you?

As far as his dekes, again you need to get serious. He made one nice move where Lehtinen got faked out of his jock but Wallin beat Brodeur one-on-one with an equally lucky move. That hardly elevates his stock in terms of moves.

He can do a decent job clearing the zone but where he is most raw is his defensive positioning. He was an absolute pylon his last 15 games or so and that's why he went out of the rotation. Poor play.

Can't shoot, can't skate? Have you ever watched him play? He has a hard shot and he candeke better than Staal (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=PlayerDeta...65&service=page Watch the recent video). He's also very sound defensively and can actually clear the zone, unlike some of our other D-men.

Deke better than staal? Are you serious? How many Breakaways has Babs had this year? Probably not more than 2 right? Right. Thats my point. He is a defenseman so you cant compare him to an all around offensive player like Staal.

Can't shoot, can't skate? Have you ever watched him play? He has a hard shot and he can deke better than Staal (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=PlayerDeta...65&service=page Watch the recent video). He's also very sound defensively and can actually clear the zone, unlike some of our other D-men.

Come on now, you sound like his agent. He has a hard shot which does no good at all as long as it is so wild. Like a power pitcher who can't throw strikes what does it get you?

As far as his dekes, again you need to get serious. He made one nice move where Lehtinen got faked out of his jock but Wallin beat Brodeur one-on-one with an equally lucky move. That hardly elevates his stock in terms of moves.

He can do a decent job clearing the zone but where he is most raw is his defensive positioning. He was an absolute pylon his last 15 games or so and that's why he went out of the rotation. Poor play.

stormrider, I bolded part of your response I wanted to agree to on the hard shot not meaning much if it's way off net. True for Babs and the same thing troubles me with Seidenberg. He's got a pretty hard blast too. Problem is, and I've seen it a lot from this team for much of the season, they blast hard and off net, it takes a hard bounce off the back board way out and -- BAM! -- the other team gets possession and rushes the other way for a scoring chance! I'd rather see 5 mph less on the shot if it means GETTING IT ON NET!