The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
redneckhockey-bs9

JR, the 06-07 season can still be salvaged!!!!

SIGN WHITNEY !!!!!!

the N&O reported weeks ago that Whitney was JR's priority this off season followed by Walker. the only way it won't happen is if Whitney gets greedy.

I have no facts or evidence to back this up, but I believe that Whitney will sign with Edmonton in the offseason. He grew up as the stickboy for the organization, his dad is still involved with them, and they have the Smyth money available for a top free agent.

I hope this doesn't happen, but who wouldn't want to sign a big FA deal with their hometown team?

Whitney already signed with the Oilers as a free agent in '97. They waived him nine games into the season.

Anyways, Whitney has missed 15 or more games in 4 of the last 6 seasons. Care to guess which seasons were the exceptions? 02-03 and 06-07, both UFA contract years.

He'll be turning 35 next month, which means that if he gets hurt and decides to retire, his salary will still count against the cap. Whitney is not someone we should be overpaying to keep.

I have no facts or evidence to back this up, but I believe that Whitney will sign with Edmonton in the offseason. He grew up as the stickboy for the organization, his dad is still involved with them, and they have the Smyth money available for a top free agent.

I hope this doesn't happen, but who wouldn't want to sign a big FA deal with their hometown team?

The local Edmonton media speculated about it right after Smyth went to Long Island and the Oilers unraveled.

I do think Whitney is the key guy to re-sign but there are two glaring problems that will make it tough.

1. The fact that only a portion of his salary counted against the Canes cap means the effective increase will be exponentially higher.

2. By missing the playoffs and larger gate profits from an extended run, what will the budget be for next year? Re-signing and paying more for a Cup team is far different than trying to get back in the playoffs.

Some tough decisions are going to have to be made and at least one fan favorite won't be back, it's just too early to know who.

He'll be turning 35 next month, which means that if he gets hurt and decides to retire, his salary will still count against the cap. Whitney is not someone we should be overpaying to keep.

I agree. I know the general sentiment seems to be sign him no matter what, but I really don't want the organization to overpay for him.

Whitney already signed with the Oilers as a free agent in '97. They waived him nine games into the season.

Anyways, Whitney has missed 15 or more games in 4 of the last 6 seasons. Care to guess which seasons were the exceptions? 02-03 and 06-07, both UFA contract years.

Agreed as well. I believe Ladd will be prepared to step up if Whitney doesn't return.