The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Now that were done, who stays and who goes!

The hard part about all of this is getting the right blend of youth and veteran skill. You don't want to have a big gap between really young guys and the older guys. That's what worries me right now.

Keep:

FORWARDS

Brind'Amour

Cole

Williams

Staal

LaRose

Adams

Ladd

Whitney (Re-Signed)

Walker (Re-Signed)

Stillman (Re-Signed)

Vasicek

DEFENSEMAN

Babchuk

Kaberle

Wallin

Commodore

Gleason

Tanabe (Re-Signed)

Gone:

Carter (Not signed; had no impact on the team)

Hedican (Retire; injury prone, almost retired during lockout)

Wesley (Retire)

Hutchinson (Trade Bait; had an OK season, liability on defense)

Seidenberg (Trade Bait; I'm wavering a little on him, could stay)

Letowski (Trade Bait; not a bad season, started well, but was a non factor after concussion)

Not sure about Grahame, had good nights and bad nights. Did sign a 2-year deal.

Team Needs:

Defenseman (Sean Hill is a free agent at season's end and could be gotten cheap, 1 yr deal with Isles for 600K this season)

Forward (Need a solid 3rd / 4th liner; Over-Achiever)

PP QB (Could be filled by a solid offensive defenseman)

Stillman's career is in its Twilight. He's dead weight to the Canes. Deal him if we can get anything for him. He was a great playmaker - the silent assasin last year. But this year he was a stink bug. He either get's his shoulder strong and plays with more passion or adios Stiller.

Grahame: nice guy' date=' but not reliable. Bye bye.

Vasicek - a big, goofy, no talent guy. See ya.

Carter - added nothing. Maybe he could broaden the fan base. I'm not gonna go there.

LaRose - very impressed with this kid. He was one of the bright spots this year.

Craig Adams might be a good journeyman fourth liner, but if he demands over a million a year then get rid of him.

Staal needs to quit smoking. Lavi needs to remind him what the term "backcheck" means.

quote']

The ones I highlighed I agree wholeheardely. I want no part of Grahame. Too inconsistent for my own good.

Staal to me had a horrible year after last year. He needs to play like a 1st line player like he is getting paid for. He played like a 2nd and sometimes 3rd liner who was too invisible for my liking this year.

Dont get me wrong I really like Staal and still think he can be a consistent 80-90 point player. He just needs to play hard all the time.

Not when he feels like it. He signed his big deal and was a "fat cat" at times this year.

my response above.

For those you say bye bye Grahame. Who do you get as back up. No one in the system is ready for NHL play. Just wondering. Keeping Grahame for one more year is not gonna hurt. He played much better down the stretch and I think it was due to the team being a bit more comfortable in front of him. As in the team actually didn't hang him out to dry. Remember, Cam had a hard time last year in the regular season cause the team wasn't comfortable playing in front of him. Samething happened to Johnny.

Stillman has a year left on his contract and I doubt he goes anywhere. They'll gonna want him to help Staal along for one more year...IMO.

Cole, Ladd, LaRose, Adams, Williams are not going anywhere.

Gleason is not going anywhere along with Commie and Kaberle. Seidenberg played very well so I think they hold on to him.

Letowski could be traded, but they'll probably hold onto him for one more year and pencil him in as the 4th line center.

Vasichek can go as can Carter. Bab's I think he's done. Did he even play more than 2 minutes last night. Hutch is trade bait.

Whitney and Walker HAVE to be resigned.

When can we start signing or re-signing players?

Not making the playoffs must be hard on the bank for the Hurricanes...

We have to keep Ray Ray!! Ray helps the team on so many different levels leadership to scoring those clinch goals that we need. I just, hope he wants to stay in NC.

From judging the website about Contracts, can we re-sign LaRose now and give him a raise? The poor guy does not make anything compared to Babs, how is that possible?

Carter--He can go. I have never seen a player come in and not do anything...No points, how is that possible. I am sure, his value just went down in the league, hello ECHL?

Babs- I think, we need to keep. He has potential to do great things, just needs time to learn.

Big Joe-- I am not sure about. I thinking, keep him if he gives us a "home town" discount to stay. He does have a house here in Raleigh.

Walker-- Another one that we have to keep. Not sure how much he makes but like Brindy he is another great leader for this team.

Hutchinson-- It depends on him. If he wants to stay, let him stay. I feel for the guy to be part of a team but never gets to play but once in two months. That has to be really hard. Cute Wife on the jumbotron bonus points.

Wasbi-- I am thinking there is still some hope for this guy. At first, I was on the bad Wasbi bandwagon then he started doing things really well.

Hedican/Wesley-- We can not afford to let both of these guys go. They are the leaders on defense. The only way we let them go is unless we can pick up a good D in FA but that will cost us too much $$.

Letowski-- I am not sure what to do with him. If we can keep Ray and let Ray and Brindy teach LaRose to player Center then we do not need him. I really thought LaRose has great potential at Center. Center is not an easy position to play.

Just my .02 cents worth.....

Whitney - as I have said in other posts, I hope they do not overpay for him. At his age he is going to go for the biggest offer because it's his last shot at a big contract. It's not worth breaking the bank for a 35 year old winger who always seems to play his best in contract years.

Walker - I would prefer keeping him over Whitney but I'm probably in the minority on that one.

Carter - obviously gone.

Babchuk - Probably gone. Burned too many bridges.

Big Jo - Personally I hope he stays but Tripp mentioned during the Florida game that he would likely be gone. I don't think he would have thrown that out there if he didn't know what the teams plans were.

Hutch - If he is comfortable with the role then fine, but I would assume the guy would like a chance to play more which isn't likely to happen here.

Tanabe - Hope he signs and I think he will.

Letowski - I'm ok if he stays but won't cry if he goes either.

Hedican - Will likely retire due to the injuries and that he has nothing left to play for now that he has achieved his dream of winning the Cup.

Wesley - I truly hope he stays for one more year.

I don't forsee any other changes being made regarding the other players but I do think Cole could be trade bait at some point over the course of the next season.

When can we start signing or re-signing players?

We can't dip into the Free Agent pool until July 1st.

We can start negotiating with our free agents at any time. Doesn't neccessarily mean we will re-sign anyone right away. Will depend on whether or not they want to test the free market.

The only people I would definitely keep are people that worked hard ALL year. Cole, Walker and LaRose.

Brindy was my favorite player, but like others said, something was not right with him the last 2 months or so.

Everyone else, especially Vasicek (I am so tired of looking at that stupid look on his face whenever they show him on TV) can go. This is a business. You either perform or you don't. If you don't, you leave. Something was terribly wrong this year. Whitney scored, but that was about it and I am not sure I would invest in the promise of him doing the same next year. Wizard and Brindy are maybes. Thanks...

I thought something was wrong with Brindys foot/ankle. Like a tear or something? No? I thought I read it somewhere on the boards, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, Brindamour's entire foot region is messed up. It'll take a while to heal, but at least he's got the time now. I've also heard rumors that he may have had some injury to his ribs as well.

Here is may opinion. Take it for what it is:

Keep:

Ward

Grahme

I hope Hedican comes back. He is a good player. He was banged up all year.

Wallin

Gleason

Commodore

Seidenberg

Babchuk - I think giving up on him would be a mistake. He is still young and can play. He was actaully having a good year and was sent to the minors for no reason.

Not sure if they should re-sign Tannabe or not. I never really liked Kaberle and thought they re-signed him for too much last offseason. Was very bad over the past few weeks. He plays was too soft. Huchtinson can go.

Keep all the forwards except for:

Carter, Big Joe, Letwoski. I would also not pay too much to re-sign Whitney.

Keeping Walker should be the first priority. He is a warrior who brings something to the table that none of the other forwards does.

The major need for this team is a D-man who can quarerback a powerplay and actually hit the net with a slapshot.

So its agreed that Carter goes? :)

My opinion on Jo is biased but I'll say it, I hope he stays. In my opinion, he's gotten alot better with his playing more physical the last couple of months. But who knows. I'll still support him wherever he goes. Roadtrip perhaps?

Other than that, I hope we let some of our oldies go. As much as I love them, can we really afford for half of our d men to be sore every other game? You know who I am talking about. Bring some young guys.

this htread is funny :lol:

Stays:

Staal, Ladd, Adams, Wiliams, Brindy, Larose, Stillman, Whitney (aslong as he doesn't ask for to much) Walker (same as whitney), Cole.

Defense:

Commodore, Hedican (if he doesn't retire), Wesley (same as Hedican), Kaberle, Wallin, Tannabe, Sidenburg.

Maybes: Carter (I wouldn't be suprised for us to resign him), Vasicek, Letowski. I wouldn't be suprised if all 3 of these guys stayed. Of those three I'd choose vasicek to go first if it were up to me.

Gones: Hutch (hopefully), Babs (hopefully) Hedican and Wesley. I sort of hope they retire to free up space and money for some good defensemen.

i'm sure there are some I forgot but I don't really feel like thinking.

this htread is funny :lol:

Stays:

Staal, Ladd, Adams, Wiliams, Brindy, Larose, Stillman, Whitney (aslong as he doesn't ask for to much) Walker (same as whitney), Cole.

Defense:

Commodore, Hedican (if he doesn't retire), Wesley (same as Hedican), Kaberle, Wallin, Tannabe, Sidenburg.

Not so sure about Tanabe, he showed signs of his old self the last few games and that ain't good. Not overly impressed with Seidnberg but he is under contract so he would have to be trade bait.

Maybes: Carter (I wouldn't be suprised for us to resign him), Vasicek, Letowski. I wouldn't be suprised if all 3 of these guys stayed. Of those three I'd choose vasicek to go first if it were up to me.

I would like to see Carter back but he won't get the contract he had from Columbus, Vasicek will be back unless he decides not to (don't think JR traded for him just to be a rental), Letowski is under contract but could be trade bait.

Gones: Hutch (hopefully), Babs (hopefully) Hedican and Wesley. I sort of hope they retire to free up space and money for some good defensemen.

Babs will be back unless he decides to play in Russia, Hedican and Wesley need to retire while they can hold there heads up, Hutch is gone - he just doesn't bring enough to the plate.

i'm sure there are some I forgot but I don't really feel like thinking.

Looks like most people predict the same 4 or 5 leaving. I've got a feeling it will be more than that and not necessarily the ones everyone agrees on. Part of the problem is the team was never able to generate any chemistry and that's got to be addressed. I know there were a lot of injuries resulting in jumbled lines, but we went through that last year and still had guys stepping up and thriving off the "team wide" chemistry that the team generated. Too many faces changed and aging players and younger newbies have not been able to put it together consistently.

Most likely a couple of bigger names (including fan favorites) will have to be included in deals to put together a new team chemistry that will make us all happy. JR did pretty good last year, so let's hope he can work some of that same kind of magic to do it again next year.

A lot of pressure will be on the coaches next year too. Keeping teams healthy, motivated, inspired, and focused with workable game plans and timely execution are what they get paid to do and they will have to accept some of the responsibility for what happened this year and present a plan to correct areas they see as deficits.

If we move someone like Williams, Cole, or Staal, we'll be shooting ourselves in the foot. Williams wants to stay and demonstrated that ever since he was traded here. He also held on to hope longer than some of the players seemed to. I think if we deal him or Staal we'll see what it's like to be Philly.

Gah, some of you guys sound like you just want to wipe the slate clean and start over with a whole new team. I agree with some of you about Carter or a few of the defensive guys but i don't know what you can really expect. We had a decent team this year for the most part. This year we had so much crap going on, injuries, juggling lines for new players, that we couldn't focus on what we needed to. This long off season will do us good especially with everyone healthy.

Gah, some of you guys sound like you just want to wipe the slate clean and start over with a whole new team.

Yeah after the Tampa loss last Friday I was amused by posts on some of the boards that basically said "CLEAN HOUSE!"