The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jeffwhit2001

Belfour penalty

wow....this sure did get alot of views and responses , just for a goalie who was pumped up and made a mistake be it a funny one. I know Florida fans don't like you guys right now but thats sports. There are plenty of teams that don't like each other but the reaction here is kinda strange...maybe I'm used to it from the old days with the bruins and the rangers. I know people get fed up with my comments but I'm getting ready to flip out with all this Belfour hoopla.....let it go

wow....this sure did get alot of views and responses , just for a goalie who was pumped up and made a mistake be it a funny one. I know Florida fans don't like you guys right now but thats sports. There are plenty of teams that don't like each other but the reaction here is kinda strange...maybe I'm used to it from the old days with the bruins and the rangers. I know people get fed up with my comments but I'm getting ready to flip out with all this Belfour hoopla.....let it go

Most of us are laughing about it. The Floridians are the ones stewing over it. :lol:

It's not exactly easy to let go right now, especially considering we'll play the Panthers (and most likely Belfour) again on Saturday. And if we do make the playoffs (Sadly, if, not when), Belfour's swim test may be the reason why.

If it were just Belfour, it probably wound't be all this, but his goofy dance, coupled with the all out vitriol from the Panthers players and coach is what makes it so conversation worthy. First they rabidly insult the character of our team, then Jokinen lays down the gauntlet for Saturday's game saying they will do whatever it takes to make sure we don't win/make the playoffs.

If I could trust that the Panthers would come in without the intent to injure, I'd be pretty stoked about what would surely be a thrilling hockey game. Unfortunately, I have a feeling I'm going to be watching the boards and ice surface for red.

This is the same goalie who beat up an old guy in a hotel (in his dallas days) then tried to bribe cops on the way to the jail.

Pretty sad, really: when a team can't win a game on their skill alone, so they look forward to trying to take us out of the playoffs (even though it doesn't have any impact on them whether we make playoffs or not this year) & quite possibly be out to "injure" our players. Hey, Florida? You might wanna focus on why YOU CAN'T make playoffs instead of having the train of thought about other teams like ours that you do.

If florida is ever going to win and become a good team they are going to have to learn how to perservere through crappy situations. I dont see how any of these 20 players are in the NHL with thier current attitudes and that goes back to the coach. A good coach wouldnt let them sit there and use that as an excuse they let up 3 3rd period goals you mean to tell me all 3 goals were the refs fault? Kiss my .....

Florida's GM needs to see this and fire Martin and bring in Julien to whip this team into shape. As long as a crybaby runs your team thats what your going to have on the ice.

Very well stated!

John Forslund's take on "The Dive"

TO DIVE OR NOT TO DIVE...

Okay the Florida Panthers are "hot" as in real angry...I can understand this, after all after an admirable late season surge they were eliminated yesterday...In today's papers, Bryan Allen, Ollie Jokinen and Eddie Belfour were very outspoken...There's alot of respect here for those three players and I can understand the frustration but they my be missing the point...For the better of two seasons, this is one team that has complained about the "new" style of game...The way they are built, some of the old "clutch and grab" style would suit their needs...But this claim is against the Carolina players and typecasting them as a "bunch of divers"...Mr Allen claims that they don't want to play a "tough game" and go down on a whim...Okay...Mr Jokinen says he can't wait until Saturday so that Tampa and Atlanta can make the playoffs...Okay...Finally the "Eagle" claims that this team is hurting the growth of the game...Okay...The diving penalty is extremely difficult to call...It is asking the offcial to creep into the head of the said to be guilty player and determine if he is guilty or not...My earliest memories of a "diver" go back to the mid-seventies and Flyer great Bill Barber...He was a terrfic player to watch and as natural a goal scorer as you could find but had the rep as a "diver"...Back then he would take his "swannies" and the officials would just look the other way...Play would continue, no penalty either way...Those days as we know are long gone...Under the new rules brokered by many of the players, there is supposed to be zero tollerence on hooks, holds, interference etc...Although everytime I ask if the officials are becoming more libral, the players tell me yes. The league has a different opinion...In my humble opinion it has changed...The officials are letting a little more go this season...This has helped a team like the Panthers...But please remember this, a stick between the legs (as was the case on Eric Staal), a stick in the mid section, a stick around the waist will be called...The players are all big and strong...If they feel a tug they will go down to draw the penalty...By making the rule "black and white" it has taken away the gray area, supposedly...It's the embelishment that needs to be looked at...The "jerking of the head" the blantant "leaving your feet," that's what needs to be looked at...Friday, Andre Roy went down easily, he's a big strong lad, but the foul was commited...Did he dive, maybe, but also he drew the penalty...I think it's impossible for the official to determine that...Yesterday, Allen had his stick between the legs of Staal...A scoring chance was thrwarted...PENALTY...There was a dive, it belonged to Eddie Belfour and that cost Florida the game!!!

John Forslund's take on "The Dive"

TO DIVE OR NOT TO DIVE...

Okay the Florida Panthers are "hot" as in real angry...I can understand this, after all after an admirable late season surge they were eliminated yesterday...In today's papers, Bryan Allen, Ollie Jokinen and Eddie Belfour were very outspoken...There's alot of respect here for those three players and I can understand the frustration but they my be missing the point...For the better of two seasons, this is one team that has complained about the "new" style of game...The way they are built, some of the old "clutch and grab" style would suit their needs...But this claim is against the Carolina players and typecasting them as a "bunch of divers"...Mr Allen claims that they don't want to play a "tough game" and go down on a whim...Okay...Mr Jokinen says he can't wait until Saturday so that Tampa and Atlanta can make the playoffs...Okay...Finally the "Eagle" claims that this team is hurting the growth of the game...Okay...The diving penalty is extremely difficult to call...It is asking the offcial to creep into the head of the said to be guilty player and determine if he is guilty or not...My earliest memories of a "diver" go back to the mid-seventies and Flyer great Bill Barber...He was a terrfic player to watch and as natural a goal scorer as you could find but had the rep as a "diver"...Back then he would take his "swannies" and the officials would just look the other way...Play would continue, no penalty either way...Those days as we know are long gone...Under the new rules brokered by many of the players, there is supposed to be zero tollerence on hooks, holds, interference etc...Although everytime I ask if the officials are becoming more libral, the players tell me yes. The league has a different opinion...In my humble opinion it has changed...The officials are letting a little more go this season...This has helped a team like the Panthers...But please remember this, a stick between the legs (as was the case on Eric Staal), a stick in the mid section, a stick around the waist will be called...The players are all big and strong...If they feel a tug they will go down to draw the penalty...By making the rule "black and white" it has taken away the gray area, supposedly...It's the embelishment that needs to be looked at...The "jerking of the head" the blantant "leaving your feet," that's what needs to be looked at...Friday, Andre Roy went down easily, he's a big strong lad, but the foul was commited...Did he dive, maybe, but also he drew the penalty...I think it's impossible for the official to determine that...Yesterday, Allen had his stick between the legs of Staal...A scoring chance was thrwarted...PENALTY...There was a dive, it belonged to Eddie Belfour and that cost Florida the game!!!

How sad are those Florida losers? Belfour is old enough to know better and to be out to injure our guys makes me sick. I hope our guys slap them around and make them ashamed of themselves. And why single out Cole? I still hold my breath a second when he takes a hit. If they spent half the effort trying to play well and have some class that they put into trashtalking the Canes they might have had the satisfaction they hope for by laughing while our guys have a long summer and they chase the Cup.......oh well, losers guess there will be another season next year.......... :roll:

Anyone hear Potvin on XM today? I'm dying to hear what he had to say about the Canes today. Definately need to wear swim masks and goggles to the game on the 7th. I won't be there but I'd like pictures!

Anyone hear Potvin on XM today? I'm dying to hear what he had to say about the Canes today. Definately need to wear swim masks and goggles to the game on the 7th. I won't be there but I'd like pictures!

I got tickets to the game on Saturday. Front row of the mezzanine.

I'm going to try to make a poster. One side will have the article's headline around a crybaby Jokinen, the other will either have Belfour in an ice dancing exhibition or a picture of Jokinen's dive from earlier this season. If it's the latter, I'll be at the pre-game skate showing it to him.

That is beautiful, I would show this to the Panther fans but I don't want to be an @$$

That would probably be your best bet. )

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I take that as a complement?

For a short time my cousin was seeing Belfour's son when he was playing in Toronto. Oh it was good times grilling her every time the Leafs lost during that year.