The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Standings Adjusted to Remove the Shootout

In the future we have to improve in the shootout I wish they would do away with them but they are good for creating excitement. I dont think you should have different rules for the regular season and the playoffs if shooouts are such a great idea then why don't they use them in the pos as well? I feel its because it takes away from the team game. Can you imagine baseball going to a homerun derby to decide games.

Now before anyone accuses me of making excuses for missing the po's I would like to add that the rules were the same for every team and we didnt make the most of them and who knows how the teams like Tampa and New York would have approached the ot if they couldnt count on getting points in the shootout.

That's nice, but it's part of the rules now. What if we went back and disallowed all goals scored off of two lines passes? Then Erik Cole would have like four goals this season and we'd be in 15th place.

That's nice, but it's part of the rules now. What if we went back and disallowed all goals scored off of two lines passes? Then Erik Cole would have like four goals this season and we'd be in 15th place.
It

i'm fine with the shootout, the thing i think they should do away with is both teams getting a point for going into OT. Since this rule was enacted to make the OT period more exciting in the pre-shootout days, it is now completely superfluous. I wonder what the stats would look like without that?

Agreed. You lose, heres a momento? No way. No other sport gives credit for losing in overtime. You lose, you lose.

What's your opinion on a 0-0 shootout? One team has to lose, but both goalies get credit for a shutout.

Would that whole "You lose, you lose" concept apply to that as well?

You let the goal in, you lose. :) 2 baseball teams throw no hitters for 9 innings, but in the 10th, team 1 homers and wins the game. The no hitter is gone, even though he went 9 innings. At the end of the game, regulation or OT, you let a goal in, thats it. Just my opinion though.

You let the goal in, you lose. smile.gif 2 baseball teams throw no hitters for 9 innings, but in the 10th, team 1 homers and wins the game. The no hitter is gone, even though he went 9 innings. At the end of the game, regulation or OT, you let a goal in, thats it. Just my opinion though.

You realize none of the shots in the shootout count as "goals", so that logic is flawed?

<_<

The only thing I don't like (besides Cam sucking in shootouts) is that a total of 3 points are awarded in shootout games, but only 2 points are awarded in regulation wins.

If somebody who has too much free time wants to calculate how the standings would have changed if teams got 3 points for a win and 1 point for an OT loss....I'd like to know...

You realize none of the shots in the shootout count as "goals", so that logic is flawed?

<_<

I don't agree with the goals not counting as "goals" in shootouts. They should. Why not have a 6-5 game? A penalty shot counts durng reg. and OT, so why not in shootout?

I don't agree with the goals not counting as "goals" in shootouts. They should. Why not have a 6-5 game? A penalty shot counts durng reg. and OT, so why not in shootout?

So, let's ignore all the records before this new rule change, right?

Because if that happens, any goal-scoring record could be broken by even an average player.

New NHL wanted more goals. Hence, there you go. All I'm saying is that a team loses in overtime/shootout, they shouldn't get a point.

i kinda feel that a regular win should be 3 points, OT and SO should be 2 points and if your team loses you get only 1 point if it goes to a SO. but then again, i havent thought this out as much. it kinda seems to meet some arguments for both sides who oppose and like the SO and point system. but i do think that SO goals shouldnt count for personal goals, maybe have their own standing or something, but its not under the same conditions as it was in a game. there arent defenders around and no one caused an infraction, so its a different setting.

In the future we have to improve in the shootout I wish they would do away with them but they are good for creating excitement. I dont think you should have different rules for the regular season and the playoffs if shooouts are such a great idea then why don't they use them in the pos as well? I feel its because it takes away from the team game. Can you imagine baseball going to a homerun derby to decide games.

Now before anyone accuses me of making excuses for missing the po's I would like to add that the rules were the same for every team and we didnt make the most of them and who knows how the teams like Tampa and New York would have approached the ot if they couldnt count on getting points in the shootout.

When the Canes were 8-2 in shoot-outs last year there were few complaints. But when you are the only team in the NHL not to get a shoot-out win, something needs to improve. But the part that is so tough is how? Sure you can practice it more but some guys have a knack for it while others like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc. are surprisingly bad.

The fact is though that outside of a very few guys results can dramatically vary from year to year. For example, with Whitney and Cullen doing the bulk of the scoring last year, most people would have felt secure in that department if Cullen had been re-signed. Well Whitney didn't score at all and Cullen was only 3 for 8.

Last season Jussi Jokinen was in a class by himself after converting nearly 77% of the time. He had one killer move and many said it was unstoppable. This year he came in at about 42% - so much for it being unstoppable. Slava Kozlov was very good both years but there aren't many others that were both years.

The way to be consistently successful it seems is to have a variety of moves that make you unpredictable. That is a tall order in that there just aren't that many guys who can combine that level of creativity with finishing ability. Cullen and Whitney, for example, both had signature moves that didn't work for this year, as was the case with Jokinen. Cam Ward was a big fall-off from Gerber's record last year and he needs to take a major step forward in that regard.

In the end you could say shoot-outs cost the Canes a chance to make the playoffs and to a degree that's a valid argument. You could also say that squandering leads they took into the 3rd period, which they didn't do at all last year, cost them 6 points and a playoff spot. So what's easier to fix, the team game or the luck of the shoot-out? In my mind, it's the team game. Focus on that first, continue to practice the shoot-out but don't try to build around a one-on-one skills contest.

Last season was the first season for shoot outs, so you kind of expect there be higher percentages for the shooters.

There were no tapes for teams to study of a players tendencies during the shoot out. Now that there have been two seasons,

you will see teams being better prepared, though the Canes were not.

The discussion on points and how they should be given out has been a topic of conversation for years.

IF you went to a system where a team get 3 points for a regulation win, then overtime / shoot out would have to be both teams get a point for

making it to the extra session, then whoever wins gets another point. This would still give teams 3 points for the win and 1 point for overtime / shootout loss.

Shoot outs should not be allowed in the playoffs. You would not want an important game to be decided as such.

Think about how the Canucks / Stars 4OT game would have ended if it were in a shoot out fashion. It was more exciting to watch 7 periods of hockey.

IF they change anything, they should change the regular season overtime format. How about 5 minutes of 4 on 4, then if still tied, 5 minutes of 3 on 3.

In the 3 on 3 session, its whoever has scored the most goals win as oppose to sudden dead style, then go to shoot out if still tied???

Last season was the first season for shoot outs, so you kind of expect there be higher percentages for the shooters.

There were no tapes for teams to study of a players tendencies during the shoot out. Now that there have been two seasons,

you will see teams being better prepared, though the Canes were not.

That might have been the expectation but the stats don't bear it out. In both seasons the success rate was right around 33% for shoot-out goals.

There were more shoot-outs this year but the conversion rate stayed almost at an identical level.