The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gottsomejohn

Whitney Agrees to 3 year $10.5 Million

How much do some of you guys really think an older injury prone one way player who managed to have a crareer year is worth? $3.5 million is at the upper limits I'd say. Any more than that would have been to much.

The fact that Ray had a career year may have had a lot to do with it. Money is not everything, even to great athletes. He likes it here, scores a lot here, won a Stanley Cup here - then why leave? The fact that he is not a younger up and coming player may have had something to do with that decision too. He could go somewhere else and the fit just not be as good as with the Canes.

Whatever the reason, I share the pure joy of knowing the Wizard is returning!!!!

YES! I guess I need to show my excitement here too, WOOHOO!!!

:)

Hopefully he'll have another good season like this past year because I know this past season was a "contract season".

Ha. While we were staying after the game for some autographs, Whitney came out and someone was saying "Will you stay for 4 mil a year?" Ray goes, "No no, we don't need that much" I guess he was right and stayed for only 3.5 : ;)

Sounds like a plan to me. No 45th day? oh shucks

:o That was mean :lol: But funny! Poor guy. He has the ambition, but he's just too clumsy! He will get better!

So Glad Whitney is staying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really worried about that as everyone else was!

Now PLLLLEEEEEAAAAASE............let's keep Walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha. While we were staying after the game for some autographs, Whitney came out and someone was saying "Will you stay for 4 mil a year?" Ray goes, "No no, we don't need that much" I guess he was right and stayed for only 3.5 : ;)

This is why hockey players are the most fan-friendly of all players in sports. Ray signs autographs, talks to the fans, gives a completely honest answer to a question, than backs it up by signing the kind of contract he talked about. What a stand-up guy. I was going to get a generic canes sweater for next season because i have too many favorites on the team, but i may have to get a #13 instead.

Signing Ray is definetly a step in the right direction for next year.I hope there is enough money left to get Walker signed as well.Might have to clear the way by some trades or maybe a few retirements.Very curious to see what happens next.

Whitney was interviewed on XM today by Phil Esposito. He answered questions very honestly about the season and basically said that no one really thought they wouldn't get it done. It was kind of like they were all waiting for something to click and they'd start back where they left off the Stanley Cup season. He said there were too many nights when the team just assumed it would happen. They needed to come back next year hungry and ready. His reasons for re-signing were 1st, that everyone still believed in each other and and swore they would get it done next season with a different attitude than they had most of this year. 2nd, he knows that this group of guys is as talented, if not more than the other teams in the league. 3rd, his family was happy here and didn't want to move. :)

He spoke about the fans and said that they were great, even when the team didn't give them many reasons to stick around...but they did. He also said the last two games of the year said a lot about this fan base when the games really meant nothing but building was loud and full just the same. He was happy finishing off the season beating Florida in a come back effort but only for the fans. The guys were crushed and couldn't believe they were ready to say good bye for the summer cause the season was over.

Sounds like the locker room is in tact, contrary to the rumors, and the guys will be back ready to get a jump next season.

Hope I didn't butcher the interview but its late and I heard it hours ago.

Whitney was interviewed on XM today by Phil Esposito. He answered questions very honestly about the season and basically said that no one really thought they wouldn't get it done. It was kind of like they were all waiting for something to click and they'd start back where they left off the Stanley Cup season. He said there were too many nights when the team just assumed it would happen. They needed to come back next year hungry and ready. His reasons for re-signing were 1st, that everyone still believed in each other and and swore they would get it done next season with a different attitude than they had most of this year. 2nd, he knows that this group of guys is as talented, if not more than the other teams in the league. 3rd, his family was happy here and didn't want to move. :)

He spoke about the fans and said that they were great, even when the team didn't give them many reasons to stick around...but they did. He also said the last two games of the year said a lot about this fan base when the games really meant nothing but building was loud and full just the same. He was happy finishing off the season beating Florida in a come back effort but only for the fans. The guys were crushed and couldn't believe they were ready to say good bye for the summer cause the season was over.

Sounds like the locker room is in tact, contrary to the rumors, and the guys will be back ready to get a jump next season.

Hope I didn't butcher the interview but its late and I heard it hours ago.

I am so glad we will have Ray with us at least another three years. It's also good to hear they are looking toward next season! I can't wait!!!

Just FYI--In a radio interview, Ray said he was going to be in town for the next month or so because he was going to have off season shoulder surgery.

Makes the quick signing even less surprising.

Just FYI--In a radio interview, Ray said he was going to be in town for the next month or so because he was going to have off season shoulder surgery.

On XM he said he'd be around cause his daughter was still in school.....interesting.

At least they learned a lesson from last year, I don't think they'll be putting off any surgeries to late summer again :rolleyes: .

On XM he said he'd be around cause his daughter was still in school.....interesting.

At least they learned a lesson from last year, I don't think they'll be putting off any surgeries to late summer again :rolleyes: .

He actually said it was a lingering injury from last season and that he decided to hold off on the surgery. It doesn't sound serious though he didn't get into the specifics.

He actually said it was a lingering injury from last season and that he decided to hold off on the surgery. It doesn't sound serious though he didn't get into the specifics.

Didn't seem to bother him in the points area.