Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goeb

Justin Williams Extremely underrated?

25 posts in this topic

yup, 3 years. :)

he signed a 5 year deal last year so he has 4 more years here.

yea, Jim Rutherford knew what he was doing going after Justin. Besides Ken Hitchcock basically gave up on him. I also think Lavi's way of coaching agreed more with him. But people in Philly really regret that trade. He is why I'm a Carolina Hurricanes fan.

I think the case might have been that he was underappreciated before, but I think this season especially everyone is starting to see and appreciate him much more. After the April 6th game (Which we lost) everyone cheered and applauded for JWill when he got out of his car...they definitely didn't do that for Staal or Commodore so that's saying something.

yeah i know he didnt really get a lot of recognition at the beginning of last year

but after the playoffs, he started getting more

and i think this year he really stuck out :D

Not sure why you think he is underrated..... He made the allstar team.

Only after Rod Brind'Amour turned the offer down.

I think Williams was a steal at the contract we signed him to last offseason.

Lots of players turn down All-Star game's, it isn't huge deal to make it anymore unless you make the starting lienup or are one of 3 goalies to be selected. Rutherford definitely knew what he was doing when he gave him a contract. Williams will be a star on this team for a long time. Also nice to see that fan who said he followed him since his Philly days, now that is what I call devotion to your favorite player.

No offense intended, but I assume you mean the American and the Canadian press under appreciate Justin Williams. I can tell you from the very rowdy section my season tickets are in, he is very appreciated. This year JWillie went into the corners to dig out the puck, picked up the pressure defensively, and did all the little things he did last year to make him one of my very very favorites. NIght in night out JWillie brings his "A" game. His leadership by example will mean the day will come he will have a "C" on his chest here or somewhere in the NHL.

Regardless of his goals, its all the little things he does (like #17) that makes him a fan favorite. His scoring is just iceing on the cake.

;)

Lots of players turn down All-Star game's, it isn't huge deal to make it anymore unless you make the starting lienup or are one of 3 goalies to be selected. Rutherford definitely knew what he was doing when he gave him a contract. Williams will be a star on this team for a long time. Also nice to see that fan who said he followed him since his Philly days, now that is what I call devotion to your favorite player.

yeah i say people pay more attention to the bigger names like Brinds and Ward.

but Jwillie stands out to me.

and yay to 4 more years! :D

Why thanks. I'd love to stay around that long.

J/k

I dont think he's TOTALLY underrated but you dont hear as much about him as you do brindy and staal like on TSN or NHL .com.

Only after Rod Brind'Amour turned the offer down.

I think Williams was a steal at the contract we signed him to last offseason.

Actually, Williams was invited at the same time as Brind'Amour, Staal was Brind'Amour's replacement.

And I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that Justin Williams is still missed in Philly. The Canes/Flyers game I attended, they booed the Canes, except for Williams and Brind'Amour. They got applause.

Actually, Williams was invited at the same time as Brind'Amour, Staal was Brind'Amour's replacement.

And I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that Justin Williams is still missed in Philly. The Canes/Flyers game I attended, they booed the Canes, except for Williams and Brind'Amour. They got applause.

Yea, I was at the game in Philly on March 28 and noticed a lot more Williams and Brind'Amour jerseys than last year.

I said when i started the thread, Canes' fans appreciate him. But for some reason he's just not part of their image across the NHL even though he played great this year and last year. Erik cole, Eric staal, whitney and Roddy are the names I hear as scoring threats on Carolina. Hence, he is underrated, or just doesn't get enough recognition. I'm sure he doesn't care that much, and maybe some Canes' fans don't care. But I love this guy, I think he has really blossomed while playing with Brind 'Amour (no shock there,lol).

He's appreciated by me. I got his jersey the beginning of this past season. Thought I would alternate between his and Cole's. Well out of 30 home games, Willie had his name and number proudly shown for 27 games.

I have noticed that not many people have his jersey, but I think that's gonna change. Beginning of this year, in my area where I sit it was me and 1 other person who sported the Willie jersey. By the end of the season, 2 more people jumped on the Willie train.

And when I got him to sign it, he was so happy to see his name and number on it. He lit up. But I think he would do that even if it was the 1000th jersey he saw with his name on it. :lol:

THE LONGER HE STAYS UNDER-RATED BY THE PRESS AND THE LEAGUE THE BETTER IT IS FOR HIM AND US.ONCE YOU ARE IN THE SPOTLITE(IE-Staal THIS YR) THE MORE TEAMS PREPARE FOR YOU.SO LONGER WE CAN KEEP HIM A SECRET, THE BETTER FOR THE CANES.I KNOW THAT HE IS APPRECIATED BY THE MANAGMENT,TEAM AND THE FANS.HE IS A GOOD ENOUGH PLAYER THAT HE WILL SHINE IN OR OUT OF THE SPOTLITE

I don't really think he has developed his 2-way game enough yet. He isn't an overly physical player, he gets knocked down easily, but he does score goals. I am pretty sure he had a horrible +/- rating this year, and I know that he wasn't physical at all. But, I do like the fact that he can score, and score often, he was 3rd on our team in points!

I saw him when he was still with the Flyers a few years ago, and his talent was obvious even then. I say LET him fly under the radar! Less double-teaming to contend with!

Justin also brings great leadership and a good work ethic to the team. He always seems to have his head on straight, no matter how the game itself is going. He knows his own game and knows good things aren't just going to "happen" by skating around and waiting for the hockey gods to drop success from the sky. He's a workman, and that mindset fits so well into our team.

We have actually a very nice collection of "stars" but other than Staal's left turn off the rink into GQ coverboy land for half the season, Justin is a lot like Rod... someone is paying him to play hockey and he's here to do the job. Sure, he's got elements of his game to tweak and strengthen, but he seems to be actively trying to do that instead of just accepting his own status quo. Also, the rapport that our WWB line has developed is gonna be increasingly deadly now that those three gentlemen know that they are Carolina boys for the long haul. (Now, Lavi, don't go breaking up the Brotherhood, please???? Don't 'fix' what ain't broke!) I am looking for some serious numbers from the Ray-Rod-Willie Bermudu Triangle line to put pressure on the others...

Think of it... Tanabe finally coming into his own, and the-gnat-who-will-become The Legendary Chad LaRose beginning to wake up.... Walks who can score AND "score" (I'm gonna assume he's staying :o ..) Stillman healing up nicely... etc - we have a really impressive core returning, and who knows what shuffling is yet to be done among the regulars and our new end-of-season purchases? It is going to suck to be the opposition next season. Now if we can just keep the zebras locked in their bathroom beneath the arena..... bwaaaa-haaa-haaaa! OPEN SEASON! HURRICANE SEASON !!!

(sorry - you can tell I'm in withdrawal. Please just step over the body...)

He's appreciated by me. I got his jersey the beginning of this past season. Thought I would alternate between his and Cole's. Well out of 30 home games, Willie had his name and number proudly shown for 27 games.

I have noticed that not many people have his jersey, but I think that's gonna change. Beginning of this year, in my area where I sit it was me and 1 other person who sported the Willie jersey. By the end of the season, 2 more people jumped on the Willie train.

And when I got him to sign it, he was so happy to see his name and number on it. He lit up. But I think he would do that even if it was the 1000th jersey he saw with his name on it. :lol:

It's funny, when I go to the Carolina games in Philly, you see Williams jerseys everywhere, whether they're Flyers or Carolina.

I was told Justin was a former Red Wing so that's why I chose him at first, bought the Jersey and flashed the jersey when he made a play.

Then I did some research and discovered he was NEVER a Red Wing(Jason Williams was the former Red Wing now Blackhawk but was still a Red Wing when I bought jersey at last years playoffs) . LOL But I still liked his style of play and stayed with it. Now he remains my favorite player "see sig".

He's not underrated, he's overshadowed.

He's the quiet hero a lot of the time. Ray Whitney doesn't get as much attention either being the leading scorer. Now HE was a former Red Wing.

It's also nice to know that as great as he is on the ice, he's great off it as well, as many a 'Canes or Flyers fan will attest. That can do a lot for your fanbase. =)

he is definetly underrated, or at least somewhat unheard of.

on the ESPN boards there was an uproar with williams going to tha ALL STAR game.

however he proved himself with 1G 1A.

Substance>style any day, huh?

There should have been an uproar that he wasn't on the ballot. He's worked hard, it's about time he was recognized, even if it was only the All-Star game.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0