24 replies to this topic

#1 carolinagirl1081

carolinagirl1081

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

yeah i say people pay more attention to the bigger names like Brinds and Ward.
but Jwillie stands out to me.
and yay to 4 more years! biggrin.gif

#2 fightinmad

fightinmad

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(JustJoe @ Apr 22 2007, 04:22 PM)

Only after Rod Brind'Amour turned the offer down.

I think Williams was a steal at the contract we signed him to last offseason.

Actually, Williams was invited at the same time as Brind'Amour, Staal was Brind'Amour's replacement.

And I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that Justin Williams is still missed in Philly. The Canes/Flyers game I attended, they booed the Canes, except for Williams and Brind'Amour. They got applause.

#3 fightinmad

fightinmad

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

It's also nice to know that as great as he is on the ice, he's great off it as well, as many a 'Canes or Flyers fan will attest. That can do a lot for your fanbase. =)

#4 fightinmad

fightinmad

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

Substance>style any day, huh?

There should have been an uproar that he wasn't on the ballot. He's worked hard, it's about time he was recognized, even if it was only the All-Star game.

#5 katy

katy

Retired Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

I think the case might have been that he was underappreciated before, but I think this season especially everyone is starting to see and appreciate him much more. After the April 6th game (Which we lost) everyone cheered and applauded for JWill when he got out of his car...they definitely didn't do that for Staal or Commodore so that's saying something.

#6 caniac247

caniac247

Retired Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:57 AM

He's appreciated by me. I got his jersey the beginning of this past season. Thought I would alternate between his and Cole's. Well out of 30 home games, Willie had his name and number proudly shown for 27 games.

I have noticed that not many people have his jersey, but I think that's gonna change. Beginning of this year, in my area where I sit it was me and 1 other person who sported the Willie jersey. By the end of the season, 2 more people jumped on the Willie train.

And when I got him to sign it, he was so happy to see his name and number on it. He lit up. But I think he would do that even if it was the 1000th jersey he saw with his name on it. laugh.gif

#7 kingofminneapolis

kingofminneapolis

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

he is definetly underrated, or at least somewhat unheard of.

on the ESPN boards there was an uproar with williams going to tha ALL STAR game.

however he proved himself with 1G 1A.

#8 flyersgal74

flyersgal74

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

yea, Jim Rutherford knew what he was doing going after Justin. Besides Ken Hitchcock basically gave up on him. I also think Lavi's way of coaching agreed more with him. But people in Philly really regret that trade. He is why I'm a Carolina Hurricanes fan.

#9 flyersgal74

flyersgal74

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(FightinMad @ Apr 23 2007, 12:33 AM)

Actually, Williams was invited at the same time as Brind'Amour, Staal was Brind'Amour's replacement.

And I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that Justin Williams is still missed in Philly. The Canes/Flyers game I attended, they booed the Canes, except for Williams and Brind'Amour. They got applause.

Yea, I was at the game in Philly on March 28 and noticed a lot more Williams and Brind'Amour jerseys than last year.

#10 flyersgal74

flyersgal74

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(colesylarosefan @ Apr 23 2007, 03:57 PM)

He's appreciated by me. I got his jersey the beginning of this past season. Thought I would alternate between his and Cole's. Well out of 30 home games, Willie had his name and number proudly shown for 27 games.

I have noticed that not many people have his jersey, but I think that's gonna change. Beginning of this year, in my area where I sit it was me and 1 other person who sported the Willie jersey. By the end of the season, 2 more people jumped on the Willie train.

And when I got him to sign it, he was so happy to see his name and number on it. He lit up. But I think he would do that even if it was the 1000th jersey he saw with his name on it. laugh.gif

It's funny, when I go to the Carolina games in Philly, you see Williams jerseys everywhere, whether they're Flyers or Carolina.

#11 djharley

djharley

DJHARLEY

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationHOPEFULLY ON MY HARLEY!!

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

THE LONGER HE STAYS UNDER-RATED BY THE PRESS AND THE LEAGUE THE BETTER IT IS FOR HIM AND US.ONCE YOU ARE IN THE SPOTLITE(IE-Staal THIS YR) THE MORE TEAMS PREPARE FOR YOU.SO LONGER WE CAN KEEP HIM A SECRET, THE BETTER FOR THE CANES.I KNOW THAT HE IS APPRECIATED BY THE MANAGMENT,TEAM AND THE FANS.HE IS A GOOD ENOUGH PLAYER THAT HE WILL SHINE IN OR OUT OF THE SPOTLITE

:thumbsup: LET'S RIDE!!!!! :thumbsup:

#12 its-staal-good-num-12

its-staal-good-num-12

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

yeah i know he didnt really get a lot of recognition at the beginning of last year
but after the playoffs, he started getting more
and i think this year he really stuck out biggrin.gif

#13 caniac-97

caniac-97

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIn a corn field in Central Nebraska . . .

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(whatthepuck221 @ Apr 22 2007, 04:52 PM)

yup, 3 years. smile.gif

he signed a 5 year deal last year so he has 4 more years here.
Posted Image
The Other White Meat!

#14 carolina_kat

carolina_kat

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

Not sure why you think he is underrated..... He made the allstar team.
Posted Image

#15 one-timer

one-timer

Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

No offense intended, but I assume you mean the American and the Canadian press under appreciate Justin Williams. I can tell you from the very rowdy section my season tickets are in, he is very appreciated. This year JWillie went into the corners to dig out the puck, picked up the pressure defensively, and did all the little things he did last year to make him one of my very very favorites. NIght in night out JWillie brings his "A" game. His leadership by example will mean the day will come he will have a "C" on his chest here or somewhere in the NHL.

Regardless of his goals, its all the little things he does (like #17) that makes him a fan favorite. His scoring is just iceing on the cake.

wink.gif

QUOTE(Heyhey whatta ya say @ Apr 22 2007, 11:06 PM)

Lots of players turn down All-Star game's, it isn't huge deal to make it anymore unless you make the starting lienup or are one of 3 goalies to be selected. Rutherford definitely knew what he was doing when he gave him a contract. Williams will be a star on this team for a long time. Also nice to see that fan who said he followed him since his Philly days, now that is what I call devotion to your favorite player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users