The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Keith Aucoin as starting Center - Smart Money or Bad Plan?

I'm a no for this too. The couple times I did see him on the ice with the Canes, I had a look of, "... and why exactly are you here?"

He just doesn't seem to fit right at the NHL level yet, IMO.

I say why not,when he was up last yr the whole team was playing like crap.So its hard to tell if it was him or everybody.We need 4th line center(assuming chad is going to be the 3rd).He isn't any worse the Joe V. and he did have a good yr.He has paid his dues and has been with the organization for a while now so why not let these guys know that if they play well they have a shot of being brought up.Most of the good teams have strong Ahl(farm) teams.Just look at Tomas Vanek from the Sabres he couldn't hardly crack the top 4 lines last yr and look at the difference this yr.Having a strong farm team and players helps when they bring these guys up,they fit in alot better because they are used to the style of play.Plus like Red said he would free up alot of money to sign some other needed players..

i actually wouldn't mind him coming up next year. between your stats and his call-ups last year, i think he'd do pretty well. obviously he's not going to be a roddy, but he'll definitely fit in.

i remember in one game i went to and he was called up, he took the very last faceoff in the offenseive zone...we were down by one goal i believe. he won the faceoof and got it to someone who took a shot. unfortunately the shot didn't go in...but the point is that he can handle the situation!

he may not have produced points, but he played what, like 3 or 4 games? there are plenty of guys on our team who do that, i think we should take a shot with him.

i dont see what the point of signing him was if we dont reward a 99 point season in the ahl with at least a shot at anchoring the 4th line. give him a month. why go spend double the money [a la letowski] just to get a veteran with less skill? he's never really had a chance.

I think this could be a potential fix to our 3rd/4th line center problems. Put Rosie in as the third line center, where we all saw him do a great job, and give Aucoin a chance to prove himself in the NHL as a 4th line center. He is putting up monster numbers in the AHL, and I really think that it is his time to come up and shine with the big boys.

I think this could be a potential fix to our 3rd/4th line center problems. Put Rosie in as the third line center, where we all saw him do a great job, and give Aucoin a chance to prove himself in the NHL as a 4th line center. He is putting up monster numbers in the AHL, and I really think that it is his time to come up and shine with the big boys.
LaRose did a great job for one game, then he was moved back to fourth line wing halfway through the next the game because he couldn't win faceoffs.

LaRose did a great job as 3rd line center? I saw his audition lasting less than two full games despite the fact he got two goals against NJ in the first game. The fact that he got demoted back to the 4th line so quickly should tell you something. Primarily that he isn't skilled enough to center a 3rd line and he had no idea of what to do defensively. Belanger lasted longer on his ill-fated promotion to the 2nd line before he got traded.

Aucoin? I'd take a look at him for 4th line center in training camp but that is his NHL career ceiling. The only answer for 3rd line center is to get a reliable two-way center from outside the organization via a trade of free agency. A middle of the ice line-up with LaRose and Aucoin centering the bottom two lines is not a pleasant thought.

While I like Aucoin, he is totally unlike Walker in reply to the earlier poster.

Walker plays very strong on the puck, despite his size. When Aucoin has been moved up he has played very weak on the puck. Scott can handle the puck in front of the net with his back to it and maintain some control over it. During his brief stints with us Aucoin has not demonstrated that ability yet.

I do think Aucoin is our 3rd center of the future. Just not yet.

some of you sound dissapointed with the 5'9 and i say boo hoo, walker and gionta (NJ) are about 5'9 and theyre great, and besides Joe Va is 6'5 but he doesnt even use it.

i am all for bringing Aucoin up for a while, but if things dont work out we can probly trade for someone.

uh, yea and neither one of those are natural centers.... like I said you can get away with on the wing. St. Louis is a winger to before you try him.

I personatly think that if Aucoin can make the team out of training camp next season and he can play with the same kind of heart and determination he played with here in Albany this season than I personalty think he can make it. Posibly on the 3rd or 4th line.

Maybe as a 4th line center, but really no.

He's just not NHL caliber material. He's one of those guys that can shine at the AHL level, but he just isn't for the big boys. It would be like bringing in another Adams, LaRose, and Letowski. We don't need another 4th line player.

Not to get too off topic but what ever happened to Estrada? I really liked the way this looked in camp last year, and I'm looking forward to him tring again.

Not to get too off topic but what ever happened to Estrada? I really liked the way this looked in camp last year, and I'm looking forward to him tring again.

Estrada was with us all season long. Well maybe from November on but to be honest think he needs alot of work before he thinks about the NHL. I think he could be a good player if he just puts his mind to it but just think he needs more work.

Estrada was with us all season long. Well maybe from November on but to be honest think he needs alot of work before he thinks about the NHL. I think he could be a good player if he just puts his mind to it but just think he needs more work.

Thanks Max, I remeber him being a good skater with a lot of speed. I don't think all that speed will help you if your skills need some improving.

Thanks Max, I remeber him being a good skater with a lot of speed. I don't think all that speed will help you if your skills need some improving.

Thats right. And that is just the thing about him I think he has the skill he just needs to show that he has it. And work on some things.