The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CaniacInCary

World Championships: Canes coverage

U.S lost 5-4 in a shootout. Grahame didn't allow a goal until the fifth Finland shooter (Lehtinen), but none of the U.S shooters scored.

ugh.. WHY.. i hate shootouts.. they did sooo good and they get eliminated by a shoot out. Jonny did wonerful, he is great. I hope when he comes back he gets more icetime bc he deserves it. GO CANADA..

Oh and was erik cole playing today?

Yep he was playing, he almost scored in overtime with one of those afterburner moves he does.

Wow this makes me so mad, way to ruin my day. Even though the braves are winning their series and the sens will beat the slugs today, this really ruins my mood. And I'm not gonna be pulling for Canada but I will be pulling for the canes players on the canadian team.

I think its stupid to have a tournament like this end in a SO. But I don't make the rules.

USA played very well today. Battled back from playing behind all game. Cole was the Captain today as Chris Clark was out :)

What makes this even worse is that Kessel and Parise got to shoot twice in the SO. Now if they missed the first time, why put them out for a second chance. I'm sure there were other guys that could have tried, like Cole.

Sucks that this is how they get eliminated, but they played one hell of a game and Finland is a very good team.

I only watched the shootout part of the game b/c i was at school. WHY DID THEY NOT LET COLE BE IN THE SHOOT OUT. I am soo mad.. they let Parise go twice and Kessel.. and parice did a backhand and he missed, then he did the backhand the second and he misses, AGAIN. Cole could have done better that.. or someone else but i dont see why you'd pick the same guys twice..

I only watched the shootout part of the game b/c i was at school. WHY DID THEY NOT LET COLE BE IN THE SHOOT OUT. I am soo mad.. they let Parise go twice and Kessel.. and parice did a backhand and he missed, then he did the backhand the second and he misses, AGAIN. Cole could have done better that.. or someone else but i dont see why you'd pick the same guys twice..

yeah seriously

cole is an amazing player, do they not see it?? :D

yeah, i'm really mad they didn't put cole in the shoot out

i was even talking to my canadian friends (who hate the canes) about it, and even THEY thought cole should've been shooting.

oh well, guess we have to cheer for canada now...not like it's a bad thing to cheer for canada haha, i'm just sayin :P

well cheers to our 5 canadians! best of luck boys

Canada Versus Sweden.. on now!

Justin Williams scores and i think Staal gets the assist.

and after a minute or so Towes scores and Jordan Staal gets the assist.. great game :)

They changed Williams goal to Camelleri

Canada Wins 4-1. Camellari, Staal, Towes, Nash score for canada. Cam Ward was in in net. Great game. Tomorow is Canada versus Finland for the gold and sweden Versus Russia for Bronze.

First:

2 min Sweden 20. THORNBERG, Martin Elbowing

2 min Sweden 2. ENSTROM, Tobias Interference

2 min Canada 30. WARD, Cam Delaying the Game

2 min Sweden 17. HEDSTROM, Jonathan Boarding

2 min Canada 22. COMMODORE, Mike Cross-Checking

1 - 0 PP1 Canada 13. CAMMALLERI, Mike (3. PHANEUF, Dion)

2 - 0 EQ Canada 16. TOEWS, Jonathan (10. STAAL, Jordan)

3 - 0 EQ Canada 12. STAAL, Eric (13. CAMMALLERI, Mike) (6. WEBER, Shea)

Second:

2 min Canada 11. WILLIAMS, Justin Tripping

2 min Sweden 14. MANSSON, Mattias Boarding

3 - 1 EQ Sweden 76. DAVIDSSON, Johan (8. HORNQVIST, Patric)

Third:

2 min Sweden 28. TARNSTROM, *edit* Holding

2 min Canada 11. WILLIAMS, Justin Tripping

4 min Canada 22. COMMODORE, Mike High Sticking

2 min Canada 9. MCCLEMENT, Jay Cross-Checking

2 min Sweden 19. BACKSTROM, Nicklas Slashing

4 - 1 PP1 Canada 61. NASH, Rick (4. BREWER, Eric) (18. LOMBARDI, Matthew)

SOG - Canada 25 - Sweden 30 (SWE 8SOG during Commie's Penalty)

WARD - SV% 96.67 / BACKLUND - SV% 84.0

FINAL

Either flicked the puck over the glass (which he's been known to do), or left the trapezoid behind the net.

There is no trapezoid behind the net rule in worlds.. he flicked the puck over the glass(i think.. i missed the first minute of the game.. so i didnt see it.)

Ooops

Shows what I know. Ward's got to watch that though. I'm glad he's learning to play the puck like Grahame, but he does have a knack of flicking it out of play.

Cam and Staal are getting good press on the Canadian Message Boards at www.ihwc.net. Canadian posters were thrilled with both performances yesterday. Let's keep our fingers crossed our Canes play well today for the gold.

BTW, Hutch did quite well for the American team. Several goals / assists.