The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Any News On Scotty Walker?

He lived in my neighborhood during the season and when I drove by yesterday I noticed there was a for sale sign out in front of his house....

Perhaps they're upgrading?

Today's the 24th- wouldn't it be great to hear that his agent worked out a deal for today, much like Whitney signing on the 13th? Chances are though, we'll be waiting until closer to July. Here's hoping the Walkers are enjoying their vacation- next season won't yield much of a vacation when they make the run for the next Cup, right?

He lived in my neighborhood during the season and when I drove by yesterday I noticed there was a for sale sign out in front of his house....

maybe moving "up", all of us that have migrated here at one time or the other moved somewhere that wasn't what we thought it was. i will be optimistic, he made $1.5mil last season and the position he is "slotted" for is in the $1.0mil to $2.5mil range so unless he is getting real greedy or his agent has heard from another team wanting to go above that then we will see. i hope rather than keep things hanging until the free agency period he will either sign or make an announcement that they will try free agency.

JR put an offer in to his agent right after Whitney was signed. JR did say that Walker won't be as easy as Whitney. And if he's back in Canada, then yeah that could delay things.

I tend to think the longer this takes, then the less likely he's staying.

Other teams can't talk to him until July 1st, so he can't know what other offers he can get. JR has exclusive rights until July 1st.

I would like to see Walker return. Hopefully Walker & JR can come to an reasonable agreement.

yep, but i don't think the boy is worth more than $2mil a year. if he is looking for a bigger payday then i say let him walk, he has a history of being injury prone.

yep, but i don't think the boy is worth more than $2mil a year. if he is looking for a bigger payday then i say let him walk, he has a history of being injury prone.

Scotty was one of our favorites this year. We would read his lips before a brawl was about to start and he'd say "You don't want none...".

His fearlessness sparked a few victories or comebacks this year but the sparkplug for the team is still Erik Cole. Scotty has a hard shot and a hard nose, and I love the guy but you're right, I don't think he's worth more than what he's been given.

I too am getting increasingly concerned about the lack of news regarding Scott Walker. I noticed when Whitney was quoted prior to the agreement he seemed truely upbeat and seemed to really want to be here. While Walker didnt seem to be pessimistic at all, his quotes seemed much more "vanilla" in nature.

I too am getting increasingly concerned about the lack of news regarding Scott Walker. I noticed when Whitney was quoted prior to the agreement he seemed truely upbeat and seemed to really want to be here. While Walker didnt seem to be pessimistic at all, his quotes seemed much more "vanilla" in nature.

That because he knew he wasn't as much of a priority as at Whitney and maybe there just won't be enough money for him. He's playing it very cautiously optomistic. I'll take it at face value that he wants to stay but he's not gonna take a pay cut and JR's not going to overpay. I feel pretty confident it'll get done but JR needs to find out things like whether or not Hedican and Wesley will back and which free agents he wants to pursue. Then he'll have a better idea how much he can pay Walker.

Have patience....I feel good about this one. :)

Although I have to admit the "for sale" sign on his lawn is a little unnerving.

That because he knew he wasn't as much of a priority as at Whitney and maybe there just won't be enough money for him. He's playing it very cautiously optomistic. I'll take it at face value that he wants to stay but he's not gonna take a pay cut and JR's not going to overpay. I feel pretty confident it'll get done but JR needs to find out things like whether or not Hedican and Wesley will back and which free agents he wants to pursue. Then he'll have a better idea how much he can pay Walker.

Have patience....I feel good about this one. :)

Although I have to admit the "for sale" sign on his lawn is a little unnerving.

I think Scotty will re-sign, but it will have nothing to do with money. It will be because he's built a bond with the rest of the team and they will also talk him into staying. Anyone who sees him at practice around the other players or has heard about his locker-room sense of humor would hope that's why he'd stay more than anything.

he wants to come back, JR offered him 4 million for 2 years his agent is saying he can get at least 3-3.5 million for one year. Reliable information, lets just say I know the son of someone that matters. Pretty frustrating though that it is becoming a real threat that we could lose him come july 1st.

he wants to come back, JR offered him 4 million for 2 years his agent is saying he can get at least 3-3.5 million for one year. Reliable information, lets just say I know the son of someone that matters. Pretty frustrating though that it is becoming a real threat that we could lose him come july 1st.

for those dollars it is worth the loss, I like walker but i don't see him commanding those kinds of dollars. kind of arrogant to think he feels he can go from $1.5mil to $3.5mil. he had a good year with us but not THAT good.

for those dollars it is worth the loss, I like walker but i don't see him commanding those kinds of dollars. kind of arrogant to think he feels he can go from $1.5mil to $3.5mil. he had a good year with us but not THAT good.

I'm with you. If this info is right, his production does not warranty 3-3.5. I love the guy though and hope they find some common ground.

I'm with you. If this info is right, his production does not warranty 3-3.5. I love the guy though and hope they find some common ground.

the most i would go is $2.5mil!!

I'm right there with you, too. I really would like to see Walker back, but not if it's going to take more than $2.5 mil. He brings some veteran leadership and toughness to the ice, which the Canes need, but not a ton of scoring. The Canes could really find a much better deal for $3-3.5 out there if that's what the choice would come down to. No way he should be making in the range that Whitney got.

Makes me wonder if he'll be looking for a new agent sometime in the future if that's the advice he's getting.

I sure hope so.

I'm right there with you, too. I really would like to see Walker back, but not if it's going to take more than $2.5 mil. He brings some veteran leadership and toughness to the ice, which the Canes need, but not a ton of scoring. The Canes could really find a much better deal for $3-3.5 out there if that's what the choice would come down to. No way he should be making in the range that Whitney got.

Makes me wonder if he'll be looking for a new agent sometime in the future if that's the advice he's getting.

I sure hope so.

i dont think walker would have to have that much

he seemed sooooo eager to stay, and i know his wife & family wants to stay, so i think he will be a pretty reasonable person to offer :D

That's at the extreme edge for me...if as stated here, the JR offer was 2 years at 2.0/year, that seems quite fair. It is easy for Cane's fans "new" to Walker to just be spoiled by his numbers this season. He had a solid year with 81 games played...the most games ever in his career. In his long career, he'd only played in over 70 three times. His point total was his third best too. It is just the odds with his injury history (and the fact of aging) that what he did this year is not likely to be matched over the next year or two...