The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Any News On Scotty Walker?

Anything above $2.5 is ridiculous and $2.5 is pushing it. But I would go up to that price if that is what it takes to keep Walker. But IMHO no way he warrants the same salary as Whitney and Williams.

Sometimes I wish these players didn't have to have agents. It seems like the agents cause more trouble than needed.

Hopefully Walker is a smart guy and will accept JRs offer no matter what his stupid agent is telling him.

I hope Scott accepts JR's offer.

I hope he does also. I want him to stay, but I just cant get into the whole money thing. They're talking about 7 digits. I wonder if they just stop for a second and say Im rich doing what I love to do! Lets not forget that we have people that put there lives on the line for our safety everyday for less than 50 grand. SCOTT please stay and I will go to the games next season and I will take my family like all the other fans so that everyone can get ther money.

i have already given up hope... :( ...Jr once again is going to be greedy and not give a key player what they want ...((cough matt cullen)) does he know where that got us this past year...ohh yeah missing the playoffs...and there is no doubt in my mind that he will use that money and bring back one of our loser players from the past

i have already given up hope... :( ...Jr once again is going to be greedy and not give a key player what they want ...((cough matt cullen)) does he know where that got us this past year...ohh yeah missing the playoffs...and there is no doubt in my mind that he will use that money and bring back one of our loser players from the past

The fiscal reality is you can't overpay for third line players. It's simple economics. Cullen was valuable last season and the NYR were willing to overpay for his contributions.

Could Cullen have helped the Canes this year? Yes, in several areas. Would he alone have assured the Canes made the playoffs? No, it was a team failure. No one departed player from last season's team, however sentimental the memories are, could have overcome it by himself.

JR offered Walker an acceptable contract. Walker is not worthy of Whitney and Williams money. If Walker is holding out for $3.5 mil, then JR is doing the right thing. He is NOT worth that much. He's not even worth $3 million.

We all love Scott Walker but to say JR is letting him go cause he won't cough up the money is BS. I would be mad if JR wasted an extra $1-1.5 million just to keep Walker and we lost that money to get a reliable 3rd line center or a defenseman that can QB the PP.

Walker is notorious for slowing down as the season goes on and making repeated trips to the IR. It's even worse than his games played stats would indicate, as he tries to play hurt and is completely innefective.

05-06: Missed 49 games due to injury. 2 points in last 17 games (including playoffs).

02-03: Missed 22 games due to injury. 2 points in last 16 games.

01-02: Missed 54 games due to injury. 0 points in last 13 games.

As for the Whitney comparison:

- Walker has missed 134 games over the past five seasons, Whitney 51.

- Walker has 176 points in 276 games (.63 points-per-game, 52-point pace) during that timespan, Whitney 318 in 359 (.89 ppg, 73-point pace).

dude why are you comparing walks and whitney?? come on whitney is obvisoly the better player and as for missing games the past does not matter...just cause kabs missed over half the seson this year does that mean its gona happen again...prob. not...and do you guys really think that JR is going to go out and try get big players over the off season cause i dont...and finally walker is not going to miss out on anymoney he is going to do just what cullen did and get his money 3-3.5 somewhere else...ohh yeah and you guys might not think so casue it seems like you all are jwillie lovers but i think he is getting to much money and too many years on his contract.

I think those of you that are complaining about "how long" it is taking to sign Walker, giving up on resigning him and complaining about JR not spending the money to get it done are seriously out of touch with reality and the way pro contracts work.

Whitney's contract was extremely abnormal is how fast it was done. There was no exchange, only a contract offered and accepted. This is extremely rare in contract negotiations. But instead of giving JR praise for this you bash him for not already signing Walker?

Whitney was the #1 peice we needed to bring back. Walker falls into a 2b category. Remember, we also have to offer Ward(2a) and Babchuck(2c) qualifying offers and decide what to do with Vasicek, and find out of Wesley and Hedican are going to retire.

The decisions made last year, some good(resigning our core group), some bad(Cullen), were made hastily because we only had 10 days after the Cup was won to decide who stayed and who went. Let the Canes and JR use the extra time they have this year(Until July 1st with our own players) to better judge this year what changes they should make.

To be honest. I think Walker is a 2.5M guy. And I could see the Canes going a little over that to keep him and keep some continuity. However more than likely we won't know if that money is available until Wesley and Hedican retire. We likely won't find this our until right before July 1. I doubt we will here any news about Walker until that timeframe.

So sit back, relax and chill.

dude why are you comparing walks and whitney?? come on whitney is obvisoly the better player and as for missing games the past does not matter...just cause kabs missed over half the seson this year does that mean its gona happen again...prob. not...and do you guys really think that JR is going to go out and try get big players over the off season cause i dont...and finally walker is not going to miss out on anymoney he is going to do just what cullen did and get his money 3-3.5 somewhere else...ohh yeah and you guys might not think so casue it seems like you all are jwillie lovers but i think he is getting to much money and too many years on his contract.

speaking as a long time STH, Walker ain't worth the extra!! $2.5mil is the top he is worth, JR isn't being cheap - he is being smart!!!

dude why are you comparing walks and whitney??
Because the point was made that we had just signed Whitney and he is injury prone as well. I was noting that Walker is much more injury prone than Whitney.

come on whitney is obvisoly the better player
But yet Walker should be making just as much money as him, why, exactly?

and as for missing games the past does not matter...just cause kabs missed over half the seson this year does that mean its gona happen again...prob. not...
There's a repeated trend in the case of Walker. And it's likely going to continue because of the way he plays the game. He'll be turning 34 soon and this season was the first time he's ever played over 75 games.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?name=Scott+Walker&hubname=nhl-hurricanes' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?n...=nhl-hurricanes[/post]

"Flaws - Not overly big, he tends to wear down during the course of the 82-game schedule. Needs to stay out of the penalty box, and away from the infirmary."

and do you guys really think that JR is going to go out and try get big players over the off season cause i dont...
I don't know, but I'm 100% sure he won't if we're paying $3.5M for an injury prone player to play on the third line.

and finally walker is not going to miss out on anymoney he is going to do just what cullen did and get his money 3-3.5 somewhere else...
You're probably right.

But we can't keep every nice, 50 point player that comes along. They want top six forward money, but the problem is we are already paying top six forward money to our actual top six forwards (not saying Walker isn't a top six guy on a lot of teams, but he's not one here).

ohh yeah and you guys might not think so casue it seems like you all are jwillie lovers but i think he is getting to much money and too many years on his contract.
Yeah, Williams plays full seasons waaaay too often. Plus, he's not even 30 years old. ;)

Williams was likely playing hurt towards the end of the season and pulled a ridiculous disappearing act. That's what Walker does pretty much every season.

I think those of you that are complaining about "how long" it is taking to sign Walker, giving up on resigning him and complaining about JR not spending the money to get it done are seriously out of touch with reality and the way pro contracts work.

Whitney's contract was extremely abnormal is how fast it was done. There was no exchange, only a contract offered and accepted. This is extremely rare in contract negotiations. But instead of giving JR praise for this you bash him for not already signing Walker?

Whitney was the #1 peice we needed to bring back. Walker falls into a 2b category. Remember, we also have to offer Ward(2a) and Babchuck(2c) qualifying offers and decide what to do with Vasicek, and find out of Wesley and Hedican are going to retire.

The decisions made last year, some good(resigning our core group), some bad(Cullen), were made hastily because we only had 10 days after the Cup was won to decide who stayed and who went. Let the Canes and JR use the extra time they have this year(Until July 1st with our own players) to better judge this year what changes they should make.

To be honest. I think Walker is a 2.5M guy. And I could see the Canes going a little over that to keep him and keep some continuity. However more than likely we won't know if that money is available until Wesley and Hedican retire. We likely won't find this our until right before July 1. I doubt we will here any news about Walker until that timeframe.

So sit back, relax and chill.

Good points. People should both look around the league to see how few key re-signings there have been also pay closer attention to what Rutherford said in his interview. He already stated that things would probably drag out with the Walker negotiations and that the Whitney situation was atypical.

Although I like Walker quite a bit and it's easy to see why he is a fan favorite, you can't let emotions dictate your business decisions. If he wants too much, then it's time to cut ties and move on. In hockey terms, he is not a spring chicken. Some people are acting like he is a 10-year vet with the team and life won't go on without him. It will, if it comes to that.

The fiscal reality is you can't overpay for third line players. It's simple economics. Cullen was valuable last season and the NYR were willing to overpay for his contributions.

Could Cullen have helped the Canes this year? Yes, in several areas. Would he alone have assured the Canes made the playoffs? No, it was a team failure. No one departed player from last season's team, however sentimental the memories are, could have overcome it by himself.

Very well said.

It's easy for us fans to play armchair GM, but we aren't the ones who really know what's going on behind the scenes, and we definitely aren't the ones responsible for trying to make the team break even financially. Let's face it. We might be the champs of 05-06, but regardless we are still one of the smaller market teams and more limited in what can be spent on player salaries. We also don't have quite as many players that have grown up with the dream of being a Carolina Hurricane like many of the more traditional teams do.

If either Letowski or Belanger had worked out on the third line, most people here would be saying "Cullen who?" Unfortunately, neither did work out. But for the difference in salary between what they made and what it may have cost to keep Cullen, it was well worth the risk. One that will likely be taken again this year with the third line center position.

The same could happen with Walker. If he holds out and leaves for more money than what he's truly worth, then maybe we'll be able to pull in a new FA that will make JR look like a genius. We'll just have to wait and see.

And I must note that while JR let Cullen go and traded for Belanger, he also traded Vasicek for Walker. I'd say that's an overall net gain, is it not?

The problem with this team was certain players underperforming and/or getting hurt. It's completely and totally ludicrous to suggest that a team could go from winning the Cup to 11th place because of not re-signing Matt Cullen, just as it is to suggest Walker is a must-sign no matter what the price.

i agree, there comes a point when it is not economically feasible. just look at what he and gerber got!! sometimes you have to walk.

i agree, there comes a point when it is not economically feasible. just look at what he and gerber got!! sometimes you have to walk.

but gerber got nothing but more money...

he went to be the #1 guy, instead of follow as backup of Cam Ward, and see where he is now...benching for Ray Emery, and hasnt played a game during the playoffs...

but gerber got nothing but more money...

he went to be the #1 guy, instead of follow as backup of Cam Ward, and see where he is now...benching for Ray Emery, and hasnt played a game during the playoffs...

The best thing he got is(other than more money) that he is still playing and has a chance to get his name on the cup 2 yrs in a row..For his sake it looks like he made the right decision.

So the obvious answer about Ray being inked so fast was he accepted a reasonable offer from JR and he MIGHT have gotten another 1.0-1.3 Mil by testing free agency in July BUT he would have failed a team physical due to his impending surgery that he knew was required. Getting the eal done with JR and the CH allowed him to take a couple of weeks to vacation then go get his shoulder fixed.

No way Walker is worth anything over 2.5 and that even is a stretch. JR has a pretty good track record of looking at a "body of Work" not just a stellar or good year immediately before a contract negotiation. In Matt Cullens case Reney was willing to bet on Matts one good season and reward him with something no one else was willing to do... That didnt seem to work too well for him.

And I must note that while JR let Cullen go and traded for Belanger, he also traded Vasicek for Walker. I'd say that's an overall net gain, is it not?

The problem with this team was certain players underperforming and/or getting hurt. It's completely and totally ludicrous to suggest that a team could go from winning the Cup to 11th place because of not re-signing Matt Cullen, just as it is to suggest Walker is a must-sign no matter what the price.

Exactly. As much as we all like Walker he is NOT a must sign. Do I hope he stays, I sure do, but if he's wanting anything above $2.5 million, then he's just don't worth it.

People have to remember, we have our core players (Brindy, Staal, Cam, Cole, Williams, and Whitney). These are the guys that you want over Walker. And these are the guys that you have to save money for. JR cant just look at this years budget, he has to look to the future and what key players contracts will be up in 1-2 year. Not to mention Staal gets an increase of $500,000 each year of his contract.