The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Any News On Scotty Walker?

my stupid butt bought walker's jersey because i liek him alot

i did too, but i don't regret it! i'll still watch the games of whatever team he plays for next year...he's awesome, i won't give up on him if he leaves us.

lol that reminds me of a story. i went to the eye after the last pregame skate, and i was in the little kids section...and this kid was like, "mommy i want a shirt!" and the mom was like, "NO! why don't you wait to see who sticks around for next season?!" and i was like :blink: are you for real, lady?

I wish they would hurry up and sign Walker, I would hate to see him go.

The bottom line is this...

JR said they would increase the payroll by about 4M next year. With the signing of Whitney and the predetermined increases of other salaries we are already at about 3M over last years. We still have to offer Cam a qualifying contract which will probably be in teh neighborhood of Graham's contract costing us another .9M or so.

SO most likely, we wont even know if the money is there until we find out of Wesley and Hedican are retiring. I doubt the team would puch them to make a descision right away, so we likely wont hear anything until it gets close to the July 1 deadline.

I have some news

My mom was talking with Scott's wife, and she said that since Scott is going to be a Free Agent, he wont get signed until July, so he can see what else other teams have to offer him. But she also said that he REALLY wants to stay, and so does the rest of the family...So I guess we will have to wait until July

I have some news

My mom was talking with Scott's wife, and she said that since Scott is going to be a Free Agent, he wont get signed until July, so he can see what else other teams have to offer him. But she also said that he REALLY wants to stay, and so does the rest of the family...So I guess we will have to wait until July

That could potentially be good news. I doubt other teams will offer him more than $2 million / year. I'm guessing JR offered him $2-2.5 million / year. If he gets offers in the same ballpark and its true that he wants to stay, then Scottie will be wearing the sightless eye again.

I have some news

That could potentially be good news. I doubt other teams will offer him more than $2 million / year. I'm guessing JR offered him $2-2.5 million / year. If he gets offers in the same ballpark and its true that he wants to stay, then Scottie will be wearing the sightless eye again.

yeah, he is pretty much sure he will stay, but he just wants to see

:D

Hey everyone.........Why does Scott want to see whats out there, if he wanted to stay then he would...just ask Mr. Whitney.

Other teams would give Ray at least 5 million a season.

Hey everyone.........Why does Scott want to see whats out there, if he wanted to stay then he would...just ask Mr. Whitney.

Because its not unnormal for a free agent to see what is out there.

Take Gomez, he said he is gonna see what else is out there, but he also said he likes playing in Jersey. Whose to stay he doesn't stay in Jersey if Lou can work it out.

There's no shame in a free agent being curious. Whitney was a different case, one that doesn't happen often.

I think its a good decision as much as i want him to stay. Its good that he looks at what else is out there, then he knows that he made a wise decision and he will find whats best for him. Put your self in his position.. you'd want the best for yourself. In whitney's case, he knew what he wanted and he knew that the hurricanes is a place for him because he will always be that first liner but walker was sometimes second liner and sometimes third liner.. maybe he can find a better fit where he produce more.. but hopefully he stays.

The dynamics are completely different. Whitney had been a key part of a Cup team after bouncing around the league for most of his career. With his age and injury history he was not going to get $5 million but I do agree he gave somewhat of a home-town discount. Signing here was a chance to get stability in an area he liked.

Walker was blindsided with the trade from Nashville where he had a long run after starting his career with the Canucks. He has never tested the FA waters so I can understand his thinking. His ties to the team, although he enjoyed last season, are not deep and this is his last opportunity for a relatively high dollar, multi-year contract. It's not as simple as the sentimental thinking about just wanting to be somewhere. His kids haven't started school yet so where he decides to play also dictates where they will get their early education. I'd like to see him back but I don't hold it against him for exploring his options.

For what it's worth....I heard Chuck Kaiton on sports radio yesterday. He said Rutherford has made a few offers and he believes the issue is not with the amount of $, it's the length of the contract. He said he believes Scotty will test free agency. I really hope it will work out. I would love to see him stay.

if i know JR it might have only been a one or two year deal, don't see him offering more than that. maybe walker is looking for three and wants to see if there is a team out there that will give him three.

if i know JR it might have only been a one or two year deal, don't see him offering more than that. maybe walker is looking for three and wants to see if there is a team out there that will give him three.

Which given his injury career would be a less than smart move... Two years at 2M per but no more than 4.5 for two I could live with.

$4.5 per year!?!?!????????

I'd say take a hike Scotty at that price!

I think he meant $4.5 million over two years. That's still a little too much, in my opinion.

2-2.5$ million sounds fair. However, Rutherford would be an idiot to sign him long-term considering Walker is an injury-prone player. 2 years is the most I'd offer him depsite how well he played this season.

2-2.5$ million sounds fair. However, Rutherford would be an idiot to sign him long-term considering Walker is an injury-prone player. 2 years is the most I'd offer him depsite how well he played this season.

hes looking for stability tho

he has his oldest kid entering school now, and doesnt want to take him away from that

so hopefully he will get a 3-year at least :D